Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Forced Articulation (3P)?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2008, 10:36 AM   #1

Default Forced Articulation (3P)?

Has anyone used this to any benefit?

I have a competition in a little over a week and a lot of the people there had digs. I don't have time to acquire one of those but I've got a few extra airplane servos lying around and I was thinking of using two to compress the front shocks. I have a radio with a 3P aux switch so this would in theory shift the body right or left at will. Last competition a lot of people had problems with rollovers on sideways inclines. This way I might be able to "lean left" or "lean right" and keep the vehicle from rolling over when it otherwise might. And maybe it would help when trying to "pull in" for a turn.
Access is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-22-2008, 11:19 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Search "imperial" in the clod forum. I did it a long time ago.
Kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 11:30 AM   #3
20K Club

I know in the rules it says that forced articulation is allowed in the 2.2 class but it also says that winching ON the axle has to be withing 1 inch of the center and only one attachment point. You will need to make sure to look at the rules closely and figure out how you want to do it.

You will definitiely need to check my facts though, the link to the rules is blocked here at my office

Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 11:43 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

YES
read the rules 2.1.7 & 2.1.8
http://www.usrcca.com/rules2008.pdf
j33pownr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 11:48 AM   #5
20K Club

Guess it isn't blocked here.

2.1.8 - Forced Articulation is allowed – Forced articulation is the use of something such as
hydraulics or electronics to literally force the suspension to move in a driver-controlled manner.

But be very careful of these two rules as well.

• 2.1.4 - Winching down of the axles is allowed. The winch line must be attached within a 1/2" of the
center of the axle, and by a single attachment point only.
• 2.1.5 - All suspension mounting points must be fixed mounted. This includes all link mounts, and
shock mounts.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 12:04 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley0706 View Post
I know in the rules it says that forced articulation is allowed in the 2.2 class but it also says that winching ON the axle has to be withing 1 inch of the center and only one attachment point. You will need to make sure to look at the rules closely and figure out how you want to do it.

You will definitiely need to check my facts though, the link to the rules is blocked here at my office
I should be okay, the rules are kinda vague to begin with. Most likely I'm not even going to be in direct contact with the axle to begin with. I'm going to try to pull up the two rods that connect the 'body' to the axle, about halfway down the rods.

"Winching" implies the use of a 'spool' or 'drum' with rope-like meteriel wound in circles around it. I'm using a servo with an aircraft-style 'crank' on it to move a rope up and down, ie. 'cranking'.

2.1.8 makes it sound like pretty much any electronic that moves the suspension in a driver-intended way is allowed.

2.1.5 is what I'm not sure about... 'fixed mounted'? What's an example of something that isn't 'fixed mounted'? If say the shock were not fixed in place and could slide from one point of the axle to another?

"Official" Rules found many places online

• 2.1.4 - Winching down of the axles is allowed. The winch line must be attached within a 1/2" of the center of the axle, and by a single attachment point only.

• 2.1.5 - All suspension mounting points must be fixed mounted. This includes all link mounts, and shock mounts.

• 2.1.6 - There are no limitations on the amount of radio channels used on a vehicle.

• 2.1.7 - Active Suspension is allowed - A suspension that is interlinked (such as the 1:1 Scorpion, excluding the air bags used to raise and lower the vehicle) which by design moves part of the suspension in one direction when moved from another. This does not have any driver input.

• 2.1.8 - Forced Articulation is allowed – Forced articulation is the use of something such as hydraulics or electronics to literally force the suspension to move in a driver-controlled manner.

Last edited by Access; 10-22-2008 at 12:07 PM.
Old 10-22-2008, 05:08 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamikaze View Post
Search "imperial" in the clod forum. I did it a long time ago.
I read it. Perhaps this is what 2.1.5 refers to as illegal. Since the end of the shock, which normally goes to a fixed point on the body, instead goes to a point on the servo crank, which happens to move.