Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Holmes Hobbies Motor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2008, 10:02 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Holmes Hobbies Motor

hey guys im in the market for a new motor for my 2.2 comp crawler. Currently im running an integy 55t and its just not cutting since adding mayhem eng beadlocks (these things are heavy). anyways I have been reading really good things about the Holmes hobbies 35t motor, but it is out of stock, is there much difference between the 30t and 35t except a little more wheel speed and a little less torque? will i notice the difference? i have also been looking at a 7t puller motor. I would love to run this motor, but i am running a 6-cell 4500 mah NiMH battery. Ive heard this is an ideal setup for this motor, they prefer to be on LiPo's. is this correct?
thanks for the info in advance
Steven
sbarnesvta is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-24-2008, 10:19 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbarnesvta View Post
hey guys im in the market for a new motor for my 2.2 comp crawler. Currently im running an integy 55t and its just not cutting since adding mayhem eng beadlocks (these things are heavy). anyways I have been reading really good things about the Holmes hobbies 35t motor, but it is out of stock, is there much difference between the 30t and 35t except a little more wheel speed and a little less torque? will i notice the difference? i have also been looking at a 7t puller motor. I would love to run this motor, but i am running a 6-cell 4500 mah NiMH battery. Ive heard this is an ideal setup for this motor, they prefer to be on LiPo's. is this correct?
Steven
I cannot attest to the 30/35 ones. I am thinking of getting one though. I am running a 7T now and it is a crazy powerful motor. I run split saddles to it, one 7, and one 8. I get about 25 minutes runtime out of both packs. I have it geared stock right now and it will move like a snail or jump like a rabbit. The puller is awesome. But it gets hot really easily. I know that I need to gear it down but I haven't yet.

I bought a lipo for it when I got the motor but I have never used it. I personally don't need the benefits so far.
O.C.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 10:20 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

i have the revolver and im pretty happy with is so far but i need a bec cuz my servo is takin to much power then i will see what it can really do until then my rig is sittin bec should be here to day, if i got another motor it would b the 35t motor i hav a cc sidewinder so i like being able to go with brush or brushless, 35t is they way i would go...as far as lipos i got a 3cell 1500 from ckrc and 30 buks is well worth it hell iv got another one on the way
ENZLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 02:51 PM   #4

i am very happy with my HH 30t. i started with a 45t Integy burned it up and went to a 27t silver can laying around. the 30t has way more torque and wheel speed, it has better slow speed control also. i measured stall torque with a torque watch 36in-oz for the 30t and 12in-oz for the silver can all at 7v. it doesn't get hot ever and i haven't stalled out in the buggy.
Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 08:29 PM   #5
Keep it real

Quote:
Steven
Go for the 30T if you want, you've already figured out the difference between them, the big jump is from 30T to 25T, there is a 1000kv jump between those 2 motors. I had his 25T in my truck at the Axial West Coast Championships, and it worked well for me.
The 7T Cobalt will work fine on subC cells, as they can supply enough amps for the motor, it's 2/3A cells that can't supply enough ummpph for the Cobalts
Tanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 08:39 PM   #6
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Doc J33P, be sure your enbell is tight and properly timed on the puller motor.

All good suggestions in there. I have used a 20t on 4s lipo and crawled around, a 30t isn't that fast on 3s really. At least to me

@ sbarnes, the 30t is a good choice, or the 45 really. Your battery pack would work very will with the 30t or 7t Puller too, lipo is not necessary. Just a pack big enough to supply the power.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 10:28 AM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
Doc J33P, be sure your enbell is tight and properly timed on the puller motor.

All good suggestions in there. I have used a 20t on 4s lipo and crawled around, a 30t isn't that fast on 3s really. At least to me

@ sbarnes, the 30t is a good choice, or the 45 really. Your battery pack would work very will with the 30t or 7t Puller too, lipo is not necessary. Just a pack big enough to supply the power.

Hmm, i will check that. What should it be set at? I have never messed with the timing on a motor.

Sorry to hijack.
Old 10-25-2008, 10:43 AM   #8

No worries, look here for motor care Caring for your new Brushed motor
Old 10-25-2008, 01:49 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Gracias!!!!
Old 10-25-2008, 02:46 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

hey doc will the 7t puller perform well with 8cell 1600 split packs i want one but dont want change chargers & bat
hardhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 06:57 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Just put in the 35t Holmes motor and it's a noticeable improvement over the Integy 50t I had in there. Low speed has great resolution and the wheel speed is great, even on 3s A123. I can't imagine what it's like on 3s lipo. I may just have to try it out on lipo next week, but I don't think it really needs the extra voltage.

Great motor John! Well worth the money. Next on my list is designing a crawler around the Cobalt puller.
killjoyken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 09:03 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

thanks for all the info you guys are the best.
I am going to go with the HH 35t for the time being. I would love to go with the 7t puller motor, but that thing is big lol. that extra 1/2" will be a little tight with the chassis and setup i am currently running.
Old 10-26-2008, 09:01 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardhead View Post
hey doc will the 7t puller perform well with 8cell 1600 split packs i want one but dont want change chargers & bat
I'd like to know this too. Would like to upgrade motor/esc but can't afford to jump to lipo all at once.
MNorby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 09:07 AM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by killjoyken View Post
Just put in the 35t Holmes motor and it's a noticeable improvement over the Integy 50t I had in there. Low speed has great resolution and the wheel speed is great, even on 3s A123. I can't imagine what it's like on 3s lipo. I may just have to try it out on lipo next week, but I don't think it really needs the extra voltage.

Great motor John! Well worth the money. Next on my list is designing a crawler around the Cobalt puller.
Its been done. Check out Raptorman57's Cobalt Crawler 5 chassis. I'm one of the testers and its great!
Mortimer Snerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 09:07 AM   #15

On an 8 cell pack it would work well, but the battery life may be shorter depending on how you gear and drive it. Too many 30+ amp bursts will slowly kill 2/3a cells.
Old 10-26-2008, 09:46 AM   #16
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
On an 8 cell pack it would work well, but the battery life may be shorter depending on how you gear and drive it. Too many 30+ amp bursts will slowly kill 2/3a cells.
"kill the cells" im assuming this means throwem in the trash there burntup?
or the run time is shortened ?
93t spur
12t pinion
driven it like i stole it

Last edited by hardhead; 10-26-2008 at 09:49 AM.
hardhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 10:55 AM   #17

Slowly kill em, like you may only get 30 cycles before the capacity drops sharp. Your miles will vary, it is very hard to predict exactly how hard you will thrash the cells. I tend to give overkill estimates.

I can tell you that they work without getting overly hot, which is all that most people care about.
Old 10-26-2008, 12:48 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

anyone know if a mamba max will support the 7t puller motor?
Old 10-26-2008, 01:01 PM   #19
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:
anyone know if a mamba max will support the 7t puller motor?
Yep. That or the Sidewinder. I've run a 5t puller on either and it worked great. Personally though,I like the max better. Mainly because it's a little more robust. Both ESC's are very good choices.
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 07:07 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

peftect i bought a max a while back, it has been an amazing esc definately worth the money. just wasn't sure what turn limit was on it.