Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Strange glitching...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2005, 07:01 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Strange glitching...

Ok.. Clod, 55t motors 3 caps on each, SR, TQ3, two 645MGs, rx antenna is wound around some lexan, not touching any metal. RX is far from the SR. some servo wires do run past the SR and some power wires do run past the Rx.

Truck is 3 weeks old... Been through 8-10 packs. Almost no glitching whatsoever. Last weekend at the NERCC g2g I stripped my locked diffs. To correct this I ordered the complete alloy gearset from rc4wd. Now I get fairly bad glitching. I looked around and don't see anything different.

Any ideas? I had to pull the motors to install the gears so maybe that messed something up. You don't think the metal gears could hurt? I doubt it.

I dunno.. I guess I'll have to go through the whole truck checking solder connections and where the wires are run.

-Jay
BigJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-18-2005, 08:00 PM   #2
RCC Addict

9 times out of 10 its the aluminum gear set.I had almost the same thing happen on a touring car I put aluminum gears on it and it went nut's I put the plastic spur back on it and that was it.I also had a buddy that ran into this on an all aluminum maxx he greased everything and made shure nothing vibrated and it fixed it.
syco133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 08:15 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Wow.. no kidding. I mean, by process of elimination I suspected the gears, but I didn't really see how that could cause a problem. Man... I really want to run the metal gears. Any suggestions on how to avoid this? Everything is greased and turns freely.

-Jay
Old 08-24-2005, 09:57 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

You mentioned that you were using the Traxxas radio. I have found that the Traxxas radio gear is mor subseptable to glitching than my Futaba or JR radios and receivers. You might want to look into upgrading the radio gear. Also FM will generally glitch less and have better range than AM.
tkruger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 12:02 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

Yeah, no doubt this is a cheap radio. But I like the pistol grip with the independant rear steer and I haven't found another affordable option. I'd spend $100 to $150 on a radio/rec set.

I broke one of my motors not long after I posted this, and I just got up and running yesterday. I assume the RFI is coming in through the BEC circuit in the ESC. I'm going to try a rec battery and see if that helps. If it does I'll get a ferrite loop to filter the BEC. Another idea is to try and ground as much metal in the truck as possible. It would be ideal if I could ground the gears but that would be a lot of work.

I'll post if I get it figured out.

-Jay
Old 08-24-2005, 01:06 PM   #6
Powered by Awesome

i was just reading on the web about the spools for the txt... they said that there is a break in period and to lube em up pretty good at first... poss same problem?
TwistedXT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 09:59 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

I put a good amount of lube on the gears but not a ton. I always worry about too much attracting dirt. They spin freely and everything seems to be working good. Except this new glitching problem.

I tried an Rx pack today.. it still glitched. Short of grounding the gears I dunno what to try next.

-Jay
Old 08-24-2005, 10:21 PM   #8
MODERATOR™

I'd say the next easiest thing to try is to move the electronics around eh?
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 11:10 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJay
Yeah, no doubt this is a cheap radio. But I like the pistol grip with the independant rear steer and I haven't found another affordable option. I'd spend $100 to $150 on a radio/rec set.

I broke one of my motors not long after I posted this, and I just got up and running yesterday. I assume the RFI is coming in through the BEC circuit in the ESC. I'm going to try a rec battery and see if that helps. If it does I'll get a ferrite loop to filter the BEC. Another idea is to try and ground as much metal in the truck as possible. It would be ideal if I could ground the gears but that would be a lot of work.

I'll post if I get it figured out.

-Jay
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...=LXVW08**&P=ML

I got one of these an my LHS for around $125 with surface frequency. Guess they needed to unload it.

Drawback is no EPAs. But like anything else, it can be modified.
krawlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 06:41 AM   #10
Rock Stacker

I did move the electronics around quite a bit. I guess I'll just pop the plastic gears back in except the spools.

And krawlr... a stick radio? Not for me.

-Jay
Old 09-29-2005, 10:24 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

Well I wanted to update this in case anyone is ever searching and finds this thread. In an effort to fix this problem I:

Moved the ESC as far from the RX as possible and made the wires as neat as possible.
Made sure the RX wire was not touching anything.
Rechecked all electrical connections to make sure they were clean.
Changed TX batteries.
Tried a seperate RX pack instead of my BEC.
Installed a Futaba noise filtering servo extention seen here:
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXDKP6&P=7
And finally removed 4 of the 6 metal gears(I left the tracgear IIIs in, but the rest are back to plastic).

The Futaba filter is the ONLY thing that made a difference. But it didn't correct it 100%. Going back to mostly plastic gears has fixed the problem. At some point I would like to modify the gearboxes so I could ground all the gears and the chassis together, I think that might help. But to do a neat job would take a lot of time and I have several plastic gear sets so for now, I'll just run plastic.

-Jay