Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: AX-10 not responding

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2008, 08:40 PM   #1

Default AX-10 not responding

Hey guys, I've got an AX-10 ARTR with RS310 receiver, Rooster Crawler ESC, Novac 55 motor and Rooster Crawler ESC. The radio is an XS3. I ran the truck about 2 weeks ago with no problem and about 3 dyas ago I put it in my trunk along with my MRC. Well today I pull it out and turn it on and get no response. I assumed the batterries were dead so I put it back and just played with the MRC. I got home and charged the batteries and tried again to no avail. The red light on the ESC comes on when I turn it on but nothing works at all. I double checked the channel on both the RX and the TX both are set to 85. I disconected all connections and ensured they were plugged in well, still nothing. Any ideas what the problem could be? I found some new rocks under a bridge and really want to play on them.

Thanks,
Randy
jeepnfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-31-2008, 09:06 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

it might be ur esc, i had a rooster crawler set up but it worked for 20 seconds and red light was the only thing on so i sent it in got a new one in the mail but i am now running a sidewinder with no problems i havent even used my rooster crawler esc its still in the package they sent it bak to me in, try using another esc if u hav one laying around or just eliminate the things that work an eventually ull find somthin but im guessing its ur esc hav u contacted novak about it ?
ENZLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 03:03 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Plug in a 4cell battery pack to your Rx and remove the ESC from Ch2 and see if the rest of your radio system powers on. If it does, then it's your Novak. My friend had his Novak go belly up on a whim w/ no reason at all. Just turned it on, and the magic white smoke they put in every capacitor started leaking out.
zoojunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 10:16 AM   #4

Still no go. I charged all batteries and unplugged to esc from the Rx the steering servo could be moved by hand with the esc unplugger but once it was plugged back in the servo couldn't be moved. I haven't contacted Novak yet because I bought this rig from a user here and was hoping to ID the actual problem first. When everything is plugged in a nd turned on the red light on the esc is on. Also there is a small black button on the esc not sure whats it's used for, when I press and hold it a green light flashes then goes out. I figured this is somefind of sync button.
Old 11-01-2008, 09:48 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepnfl View Post
Still no go. I charged all batteries and unplugged to esc from the Rx the steering servo could be moved by hand with the esc unplugger but once it was plugged back in the servo couldn't be moved. I haven't contacted Novak yet because I bought this rig from a user here and was hoping to ID the actual problem first. When everything is plugged in a nd turned on the red light on the esc is on. Also there is a small black button on the esc not sure whats it's used for, when I press and hold it a green light flashes then goes out. I figured this is somefind of sync button.
That button on the ESC is to program the ESC. So, what you're telling us is that if you plug in a 4AA Rx battery pack into your Rx, nothing responds? Don't use the ESC plugged into the Rx. Use the original Rx battery pack and plug that in and see if your radio responds. I doubt it's your Rx that went bad.
zoojunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 08:15 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

^^ what he said. You need to isolate the ESC/BEC from the RX and servo. To check ONLY the RX and servo functionality, use an external power source, such as the 4-AA RX pack that should have come with the radio, and plug it into the BATT connector on the RX. If it works, your RX is good. If it doesn't work, your RX is bad.

BTW, The reason why your servo can be moved by hand when the ESC unplugged from the RX is that there's no power to the RX and servo when you do that. When you plug it back in, the servo gets a signal and power from the RX and tries to stay in the same position. That's because the battery provides power to the RX via the ESC's BEC (battery eliminator circuit). When you unplug the ESC wire from the RX, nothing is powered except the ESC, but it won't do anything unless it's plugged into an RX anyway.
XPLORx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 02:37 PM   #7

Thanks for the help guys. I'm at work right now so I'll look when I get home but doesn't the batt pack and ESC and servo all plug into the Rx? Then the motor is powered by the ESC? All I did was unplug the ESC from the Rx so only the batt and servo were connected. I didn't get a 4AA Rx pack when I bought the rig so all I have is the 6 cell batt that powers the rig. Again, thanks for your help, this is frustrating!
Old 11-11-2008, 07:14 PM   #8

Ok, I'm slinking back in here after learning a lesson to maybe help some other noob not make the same mistake. Apparently if your batteries are low in your Tx you truck wont go! It's not like it'll go some, or slow, or jerky... it won't go, period! As soon as I started having this problem I changed the batts in the Tx but it immediately went down to 8.2 volts. I thought no big deal thats still 75% of the 12.2 volts required so I immediatly ruled that out. droped in my LHS and the girl said dope, you need some new batteries. So $5 later it's running like a champ. I heasding to NC next weekend so and I'm really looking forward to running this rig on some REAL rocks (that aren't under a bridge). Thanks for all of y'alls help, sorry I wasted your time!