Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: DX6i Left stick centering Mod with Pictures

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2008, 10:10 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default DX6i Left stick centering Mod with Pictures

Been busy this afternoon modding my DX6i’s left stick to self centring.

This is how I did it

1.Obtain parts required (see pic)

2.Remove back cover – 6 screws and batteries

3.Remove silver clip and 2 screws (see pic)

4.Remove cradle and stick assembly by undoing the 4 screws on the front of controller (see pic)

5.Remove the silver horse shoe shaped retaining clip that holds the Throttle (up & down) potentiometer in place. This needs to be prised up gently (see pic)

6.Remove the Throttle potentiometer. It pulls straight out. It only fits back in one position BUT I wouldn’t fiddle with it , just in case

7.Remove the stick assembly from the cradle, you need to pull it towards were the potentiometer was and at the same time push it out, it’ll just pop out.

8.Remove the small plug at the bottom of the slide channel, insert the slide and replace the plug (see pics)

9.Fit the pins, the longest goes in the front of cradle (see above pic) and the 2 short ones fit in the stick assembly (see pic)

10.Fit the stick assembly back into the cradle, same way it came out.

11.Fit the Throttle potentiometer back into the cradle making sure that the tab on it fits into the hole in the cradle and that the flat on the shaft fits squarely into the stick assembly (see pic)

12.Fit the black plastic rocker arm onto the front pin and hook up the spring from the arm to the slide, bit fiddly but a pair of long nosed pliers helps, screw adjustment screw into hole on top of slide

13.It should now look like this

14.Fit the cradle and stick assembly back into the controller , check spring tension and adjust to your preference as necessary

15.Replace back cover and batteries

16.Have a cup of tea

Cheers

Gray
The BFG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-2008, 11:27 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Nice work! Where did you get the extra parts? I have called Spektrum and they wont sell them....
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 01:33 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyH View Post
Nice work! Where did you get the extra parts? I have called Spektrum and they wont sell them....
I emailed Horizon Hobby here in the UK ( the importer) and they told me that they didn't sell direct to the public, but they had copied in their parts guy who might be able to give me the part numbers.

Turns out that the parts guy is a absolute star ! he emailed for my address and stripped the parts from a returned duff controller and sent them to me FOC
Old 11-02-2008, 07:32 PM   #4

Thanks for the great how to now if Horizon hobby here in the states would send the parts that would be great but when I called in they said they do not offer a kit here in the states but if I sent my radio to them in Illinois they would do the conversion for me but they did not know the actual cost.
KDZ76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 07:17 AM   #5
On the lookout for Rocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDZ76 View Post
Thanks for the great how to now if Horizon hobby here in the states would send the parts that would be great but when I called in they said they do not offer a kit here in the states but if I sent my radio to them in Illinois they would do the conversion for me but they did not know the actual cost.
I had to send my NIB DX6i back to them after I got it b/c the throttle channel was dead out the box. I told them to go ahead and mod it while they were in there. They did it..no questions asked....no charge. If you can stand being without your radio for about 2 weeks...send it to em.
constantmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 07:21 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDZ76 View Post
IIRC, they told me it would be about $40.
Old 11-03-2008, 06:29 PM   #7

for 40 bucks I think i am going to have to give them a call I have 2 dx6i's right now one has a broken scroll wheel and neither has self centering stick on left side maybe kill 2 birds get a second radio up and running and have a back up.
KDZ76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 07:04 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

BTW, we now sell the DX6i with the throttle mod done using factory parts in case anybody is looking for them.
Jack Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 04:18 PM   #9

Ok, seeing as this isn't an option for us Canadians (I can almost buy another 6i for the cost of shipping this back and forth to the US)...

(Already emailed Horizon, no help, want entire unit shipped to them).

Does anyone sell the parts separately or can obtain them to sell?

Failing that, I guess all we can do is pull apart the right hand side and try to duplicate the parts for the left side.

---

God these guys need to take a page from Futaba... you can't buy any spare parts at all for these radios. Beginning to regret going to Spektrum *sigh*
Thorvald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 06:39 AM   #10
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorvald View Post
Ok, seeing as this isn't an option for us Canadians (I can almost buy another 6i for the cost of shipping this back and forth to the US)...

(Already emailed Horizon, no help, want entire unit shipped to them).

Does anyone sell the parts separately or can obtain them to sell?

Failing that, I guess all we can do is pull apart the right hand side and try to duplicate the parts for the left side.

---

God these guys need to take a page from Futaba... you can't buy any spare parts at all for these radios. Beginning to regret going to Spektrum *sigh*

I did manage to source a set for JeremyH, if you definately want the parts I'll try a source another set and you can have them at cost & P&P
Old 02-09-2009, 08:07 PM   #11

Well I finally pulled my new DX6i apart. Turns out its easier than first thought.

The little tab that holds the spring at the bottom was already installed on my radio, so all I had to do was fabricate the swing bracket (by copying the other one inside), I made it out of aluminum (doesn't need to be 3mm exact) and then cut three pins from old servo arms (they turned out to be exactly 1.5 mm which is the width of the stock pins).

I cut one pin to 9mm for the swing bracket and 7mm for the other two. Tossed them all in and "voila", throttle return without sending my damn radio to Horizon.

I'll post pics soon. Just have to hit the LHS for a Futaba or whatever joystick spring to replace the one I stole from the right hand stick :-)

Cheers
Tim
Thorvald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 03:27 AM   #12

Hi Friends

I am writing you from serbia, and I'm very glad dsa I've found this forum.
I have the same problem with potentiometers with my DX6i.
First, they promised me to send a new, and now they tell me once again that I must send DX6i.
This will cost me half the DX6i, so I ask you to help.
Can anyone give an address where I am the potentiometer, or the order can fit.
I would be very grateful to you.

Greetings from Serbia
Yu-men is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 03:25 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

Hi Yu-men,

Thanks for your pm, unfortunately I cannot get a potentiometer and I don't know what other ones fit, if any.

I was just lucky that the guy at Horizon Hobby sent me the parts I needed, otherwise I would have needed to make them.

If it's the parts you need to make the stick self centering, I'd do what Thorvald did in the post above, it's not to hard.

Good Luck !
Old 03-08-2009, 06:07 PM   #14

A friend of mine tried to fix the poti, unfortunately, is a part of it broke poti.
So because I need full poti new.

I hope someone can help me.
Yu-men is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 11:59 AM   #15

There is a recall on all dx6i remotes that were manufactured during a specific time. If you go to the spektrum website it explains everything. I called them to get more info and we learned that mine was one with the faulty potentiameters. so they are paying for all the shipping and handleing the repair and everything. I also asked if while they were in there, they could mod my left stick for auto centering and they said no problem, no charge. So everyone check the website to see if your dx6i has the faulty potentiometer if you have the lucky number ask for the mod when they fix it.
Allan42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 07:41 PM   #16
Pebble Pounder

Sorry to bring this back, but for all the left stick conversions, do they allow you to reverse or is it just to stop throttle?
GReddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 08:43 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by GReddy View Post
Sorry to bring this back, but for all the left stick conversions, do they allow you to reverse or is it just to stop throttle?
Mine functions just like the right stick does!
Old 10-31-2010, 02:44 PM   #18
Pebble Pounder

So the radio can now be bought with left centering stick??? Is there a diff part number for this model? Im in the process of starting a project and this is the radio I want to buy.
treadway47025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 02:47 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by treadway47025 View Post
So the radio can now be bought with left centering stick??? Is there a diff part number for this model? Im in the process of starting a project and this is the radio I want to buy.
If you contact Spektrum and purchase it directly through them, I'm sure that they can modify it for you before they send it out...
Old 10-31-2010, 02:54 PM   #20
Pebble Pounder

My lhs ordered mine with the left stick mod all ready done. no extra charge, and with warranty
T1DAVE is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/142564-dx6i-left-stick-centering-mod-pictures.html
Posted By For Type Date
Spektrum DX6I for Cars Setup Question - oOple.com Forums This thread Refback 10-05-2011 09:46 AM