Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Front/rear dig servo keeps burning up. Help!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2008, 10:59 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Front/rear dig servo keeps burning up. Help!

Hey everyone, I built a berg comp rig a while back and it's been running fine with no problems till recently. The problem started with my dig servo. At first, I noticed if I left my front or rear dig engaged for longer than a few minutes, like to BS with one of my crawling buddies or for a smoke break or whatev the servo would burn up. I was running a Hitec HS 55 at first then moved up to an HS 65 thinking it was just a weak servo issue. I set the EPA's where the servo just trips either switch so there's no binding whatsoever by the way. Once I switched to the HS 65 I discovered a new problem. As soon as I plug the battery in, the dig servo goes nuts, glitching and the servo arm constantly moves back and forth like it's trying to find center and cannot be controlled by using the third channel on my transmitter. After about 30 seconds the servo is hot to the touch and I have to disconnect the battery to keep it from frying the servo again. If I take and plug in my 5955 servo into the third channel it works fine - no glitching. I'm currently running a Tekin FXR with a castle bec powering the front servo only and using the ESC's bec to power the RX with a 1320 3 cell lipo, Nomadio React TX and Rx with check point 45T motors. Anyone run into this problem? Oh, my CC bec is set to 6.2V for my steering servo btw.

Thanks,
Pariah
pariah is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-2008, 11:40 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

did you wire it right......the new rc crawler mag from rc driver has a section on how to wire.......
special agent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 11:45 PM   #3
RCC Addict

is the third channel servo type setting on digital or analog ?
the high frame rate for digital servos may smoke analog servos

Last edited by EGRESSor; 11-19-2008 at 07:19 AM.
EGRESSor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 11:47 PM   #4
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Quote:
Originally Posted by special agent View Post
did you wire it right......the new rc crawler mag from rc driver has a section on how to wire.......

And the illustrators forgot to put power to the RX....

Sounds like a bad servo, probably drawing too many amps. What kind of switches are they? Sounds like they are being stalled.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 05:22 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Make sure you set your end points properly. Like John said, it sounds like they're being stalled out from trying to move further than they actually can. That will burn them out rather quickly.
Scottmisfits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 07:22 AM   #6
RCC Addict

EPA's are of the utmost importance, I just fried two steering servos. Because I switched to aluminum steering knuckles and did not reset the EPAs.:-(
hitman46mod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 08:15 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

I'm currently running a Tekin FXR with a castle bec powering the front servo only and using the ESC's bec to power the RX with a 1320 3 cell lipo, Nomadio React TX and Rx with check point 45T motors. Anyone run into this problem? Oh, my CC bec is set to 6.2V for my steering servo btw.

It could maybe be your Nomadio. We had a few guys in our club use them only to have so many problems with them and not being a consistent radio. My buddy Ryan bought one new and sent it in to be fixed before he even drove his truck.
It sound like you got it wired right (maybe post a picture of you set up)
Like Mr. Holmes said maybe you just got a bum servo.
That would make it a simple fix! Good luck
fourxhondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 05:05 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by EGRESSor View Post
is the third channel servo type setting on digital or analog ?
the high frame rate for digital servos may smoke analog servos
That got me thinking bra. I use to run a shafty with a digital servo for my dig and when I changed over to bergs with a micro servo, I never changed the setting on my Tx from digital to analog. Problem solved! Thanks bud
pariah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 06:11 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

I had a similar issue when I first set up mine too. My micro servo went cookoo when forward or reverse was engaged. I checked all my connections and endpoints and all was well. I swapped in a 225 and the issue went away. The micro and the 225 were being fed 6v from the CC BEC through the RX. Although mine is a Spektrum DX3R setup. Same ESC though.
onespeeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 06:26 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

This might make me sound dumb but here goes After smoking 2 225 servos powering my dna dig I decided to run it with a 985mg I had. The 225's would wiggle some on full throttle, enough to let the dig shift in & out. The 985 would go crazy as soon as the power was on & wouldn't stop no matter what I tried. I'm running a towerpro now with no problems at all. I also tried a hightorque airtronics I had- no problems with it either. This was with a dx3, mamba max, castle bec, 45 turn & 3s 1550 lipo. Are hightech servos more sensitive or something or what else was causing that? Oh ya I also ran a small cs servo for awhile & it worked ok too.:?
tim the toolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 06:47 PM   #11
pup
Quarry Creeper

I also had the exact same issue when I was running a Hitec servo (HS81). I changed it to a JR 241 and the problem went away and never returned.
pup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 04:29 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim the toolman View Post
This might make me sound dumb but here goes After smoking 2 225 servos powering my dna dig I decided to run it with a 985mg I had. The 225's would wiggle some on full throttle, enough to let the dig shift in & out. The 985 would go crazy as soon as the power was on & wouldn't stop no matter what I tried. I'm running a towerpro now with no problems at all. I also tried a hightorque airtronics I had- no problems with it either. This was with a dx3, mamba max, castle bec, 45 turn & 3s 1550 lipo. Are hightech servos more sensitive or something or what else was causing that? Oh ya I also ran a small cs servo for awhile & it worked ok too.:?

Sounds like the EPA was not set properly. If you increased the EPA it should hold it in place better. My .02
treday619 is offline   Reply With Quote