Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: JR Z-1 or KO Propo Helios radio 3rd Channel setup help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2008, 09:14 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default JR Z-1 or KO Propo Helios radio 3rd Channel setup help

Hello, I have done some searching in this forum and online to try to find information if these radios can operate a three position dig system. The only thing the manual says about the 3rd channel is how it effects the response speed of the radio between stock to advanced high-speed to super-high speed response, so the manual is of no help. Through fiddling with the radio, the 3rd channel can be set to one of the extra steering/throttle trim style buttons and the 3rd channel eta button can be set to "preset" but I did not see anything that allowed you to pre-set what the perset setting is. Also it does not look like it allows the end points to be adjusted for the 3rd channel. If anyone has one of these radios and might be able to help, I would appreciate any info you have to offer. Thanks!
Jesse Robbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-21-2008, 09:43 PM   #2
RCC Addict

I have a Z1 and went through this about a month ago........ Channel 3 is either on or off, no epa. I was pretty irritated such a good radio didn't have epa on channel 3. And thus, no 3 position option.

Anyway, you'll have to get a servo stretcher to make the end point adjustments, they are available from from servocity.com for $20. They are a little fiddly to get set up, but I haven't had to mess with it since.

I used the silver button that's low on the grip for the switch. Seemed to have the most natural position for my thumb.

What is a pro racer like yourself wanting to go slow?
Manning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 10:42 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Thanks, that servo stretcher thing looks like it'll help me out a lot. I didn't know anyone made something like that. I have another question if you don't mind. If I assign the 3rd channel to ET-4 (the trim style button above the triangular silver button you prefer to use), would this button allow me to use the 4wd, front wheel drive no e-brake, and front wheel drive + e-brake options with a dig transmission? Since the ET-4 button has a center and a right or left direction to it.

I don't have any crawler stuff yet and I have never even driven a crawler before. At first I wanted to get one to use just a little bit to get a better idea/understanding of what they are doing and what they need/could be improved on, but now after looking at more pictures, videos, and reading on here more it gets me thinking that I can change this or that or basically do tinker whatever you want with the chassis. Then the way the suspension is, you can pretty much change just one thing with the geometry/physics of the truck to see what it does. Where on the race cars when you make one change/adjustment it usually is effecting something else with the geometry/physics of the car.
Jesse Robbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 09:33 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Unfortunately, no matter which button is used for channel 3, it's either all or nothing. If I remember correctly, pushing the 3 way buttons either way produced the same motion at the servo.

I forgot to mention, if you have a servo programmer, that would probably do the trick as well or better than the servo stretcher. But the programmers I have seen cost way more than the $20 servo stretcher.
Manning is offline   Reply With Quote