Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: losi charger?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2008, 10:39 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default losi charger?

hey guys i was looking into getting into lipo and i was looking at this lipo charger from losi and i was wondering if anyone has anyone has used this charger and if its a decent charger? i dont wanna spend more then like $50 on a charger and i kno for $50 under it will be hard to find a decent charger..so what do u guys think of this one from losi? ill be running a 2s pack in my crawler seems how my esc will only handle 2s (novak xrs) anyways i just wanted to get some input on this charger..thx

http://www.losipartshouse.com/servle...-3-Cell/Detail
resetpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-02-2008, 12:23 PM   #2
RCC Addict

i havent used the losi charger but as for a cheap charger for lipos/everything else i would go with something like a imax b5,6 etc or one of these turnigy chargers for around 50$ with shipping.

i used to have the imax b5 which is almost the same as this but older software and no cooling fan and it worked great. im currently useing the 8amp verson of this charger and its supurb!

and it would be much better for the money, keep in mind youll have to use a 12v power supply (car battery or a plug in wall power supply of 5amp output. they sell them on that site also for about 15 bucks.) the charger is a cheaply manufactured charger but has very good chargeing software.

also if ure just looking for a cheap 2-3cell lipo balance charger. you can pick one of those up for around 12 bucks on that same site here that has similar specs as the 40$ losi charger...

- tre

Last edited by akguanja; 12-02-2008 at 11:15 PM.
akguanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 06:33 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

well thx for the input man..nah i think ill pass on the balancer..that charger seems kinda complicated..im more of a plug in and go guy...
Old 12-02-2008, 10:39 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by resetpunk View Post
well thx for the input man..nah i think ill pass on the balancer..that charger seems kinda complicated..im more of a plug in and go guy...

Not ballancing is a big no no! You always want to ballance charge. Most manufacturers dont warranty packs used without a ballancer. Plus without using one you can risk fire and killing the pack because of the cells being too far out of wack.
Chris_The_Battery_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 08:55 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

balancing sees kinda pointless...u plug it in and it beeps for like 5 secs and u unplug it...
Old 12-03-2008, 09:01 AM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
balancing sees kinda pointless...u plug it in and it beeps for like 5 secs and u unplug it...
actually thats not how it works. balanceing keeps the batteries charged at at the same voltage to keep the lipo safe and a normal balance charger doesnt beep untill its finished and in my experiance its not ever 5 mins...

- tre
Old 12-03-2008, 09:13 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by akguanja View Post
actually thats not how it works. balanceing keeps the batteries charged at at the same voltage to keep the lipo safe and a normal balance charger doesnt beep untill its finished and in my experiance its not ever 5 mins...

- tre

so whats a good cheap balancer?
Old 12-03-2008, 09:44 AM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
so whats a good cheap balancer?
look at the first post i posted. if ure going super cheap try the link in the bottom text for the 12$one other wise the top one will do evertything u got most likely

- tre
Old 12-03-2008, 10:19 AM   #9
RCC Addict

Don't skimp when it comes to chargers and balancers. Remember this is what is protecting you and your Li-Po packs. I would highly recommend as will a lot of others here at RCC the Hyperion EOS0606i AC/DC Balance charger. This one unit will do it all for you and with the 5 different balance adapters you can balance charge any pack out there. We sell them here: http://www.maxamps.com/EOS0606i-AC-DC.htm Make sure to register as a member if you order from us to get in on the members discount program: http://www.maxamps.com/membership.php

As stated this will operate on AC or DC so a separate power supply is not needed. Not only but Hyperion chargers are one of the safest on the market. You can also get them from Holmes Hobbies as well. I know John will agree it's a heck of a unit and well worth the money.

Support those that support the site............

Best regards,

Jason
JAM MaxAmps.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 10:31 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAM MaxAmps.com View Post
Don't skimp when it comes to chargers and balancers. Remember this is what is protecting you and your Li-Po packs. I would highly recommend as will a lot of others here at RCC the Hyperion EOS0606i AC/DC Balance charger. This one unit will do it all for you and with the 5 different balance adapters you can balance charge any pack out there. We sell them here: http://www.maxamps.com/EOS0606i-AC-DC.htm Make sure to register as a member if you order from us to get in on the members discount program: http://www.maxamps.com/membership.php

As stated this will operate on AC or DC so a separate power supply is not needed. Not only but Hyperion chargers are one of the safest on the market. You can also get them from Holmes Hobbies as well. I know John will agree it's a heck of a unit and well worth the money.

Support those that support the site............

Best regards,

Jason

i would love to buy that charger but i dont have the money...i think thats a lil much for a charger to..i believe u guys that its well worth the money but i dont rly wanna spend that much on a charger...ill prob go ahead and buy that balancer for $12 and prob get the losi or one of the imax ones..thx for the input guys!
Old 12-26-2008, 12:24 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

ok guys i got that charger and my lipo in today now i just wanna double check the charging rate i should use..the lipo is a 7.4v 1000mah and i can select from charging rates of 100 300 600 900 1200 1500 and 2000mah..i believe i charge it on any of the ones that are less then 1000mah correct? therefore the most i can charge it is at 900mah?
Old 12-26-2008, 12:36 PM   #12
RCC Addict

charge at the 900 but when it stops start it again. Then it will finish the rest of the charge.

Jason
Old 12-26-2008, 03:21 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

alright..so can i charge it at the lower mah charges w/o hurting the battery? is it kinda the same as nicd/nimh when charging? the lower the amp charge the long life of the battery? does that apply with lipos as well?
Old 12-26-2008, 03:37 PM   #14
RCC Addict

Won't hurt em at all. It'll just take a full cycle then a bit of a second charge cycle to top the pack off.

Jason
Old 12-26-2008, 04:03 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

alright thx for the info jason..just out of curiousity about how long would it take to charge a 7.4v 1000mah battery when charging it at 900mah?
Old 12-26-2008, 04:13 PM   #16
RCC Addict

Balance charged I'd say a bit over 90 minutes or so.

Jason
Old 12-26-2008, 04:35 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

alright thx jason
Old 12-27-2008, 07:53 AM   #18
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAM MaxAmps.com View Post
charge at the 900 but when it stops start it again. Then it will finish the rest of the charge.

Jason
Thanks Jason, I didnt know you could do that with a Lipo. I have never had a battery pop or smoke, but these little Lipo bastards scare me
Big Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 12:19 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bill View Post
Thanks Jason, I didnt know you could do that with a Lipo. I have never had a battery pop or smoke, but these little Lipo bastards scare me

agreed...when i was charging my pack for the first time i was worried something would happen..