RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Electronics (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/)
-   -   Shutdown (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/147329-shutdown.html)

JeremyH 12-03-2008 04:01 AM

Shutdown

I just finished building a scaler for my Dad for Christmas and have been running it outside to get some of the bugs out and there is one that is puzzling me. I built a 7 Cell 1600mAh batteries and stuck it in the truck. It will run perfectly for about 7 minutes then just stop and I only get response from the steering (and the LEDs still work). At first, I thought it was the low rating of the cells, so I built up a 7 Cell 4500mAh pack and it did the same thing in about the same amount of time. Is the ESC shutting down for some reason? I looked up the specs of this controller before I used it and everything seems to be within it's capabilities.

Specs:
Traxxas XL5 Waterproof ESC
Integy 55T w/~17T pinion
7C 1600mAh Battery
TwistedXT LED system connected to Rx
Towerpro servo
Have been using a Hyperion 606I for charging duties

I noticed that after the truck stopped running, if I put the pack (1600 mAh) back on the charger, the starting voltage is ~9.5V.

Here is the build thread of the truck if that will help any:
http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/1-9-scale-rigs/138685-dads-scale-truck.html

Thanks!

Jeremy

666 12-03-2008 05:24 AM

I bet you are running a Spektrum?

JeremyH 12-03-2008 05:29 AM

Opps....sorry forgot to list the Rx and TX.

Tx=TQ2
Rx=Traxxas 3 channel

Rockcrawler 12-03-2008 05:57 AM

How many mah are you putting back into the battery?

JohnRobHolmes 12-03-2008 06:12 AM

I would say the BEC is getting over amped, but then you wouldn't have steering input available. Maybe the xl-5 is overheating from partial throttle use?

JeremyH 12-03-2008 06:32 AM

Hummm.....I didnt feel the ESC for temp. I'll run it this evening and check the temp with my digital temp gun. Although, I have mostly been running it at full throttle...:D

Rockcrawler, I'll pay attention to the total input current when I charge it after running it this evening. I assumed, though, that it wasnt a problem with the battery since I had the same issue with a different pack. I have had no charging issues with my 606I....it has been charging my other batteries (mostly LiPo) without issue.

Stormin2u 12-03-2008 07:13 AM

I'll bet it's a thermal shut down because it comes back to life it's not permanent. Have you let it sit for awhile and re-connect the same battery?

JeremyH 12-03-2008 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stormin2u (Post 1455005)
Have you let it sit for awhile and re-connect the same battery?

Using the same battery with the same charge that it had when it shut down? I have run it many times after it shuts down, but I usually recharge the battery.

Also, when it shuts down, only the motor is affected. The motor stops on a dime (unlike a dying battery), however the steering and LEDs continue to function properly (as expected with a dying battery).

I will be getting a Sidewinder in a trade that I might just toss into this truck. I was hoping to keep the electronics simple (so that if it needs to be reprogrammed, the process is simple) and somewhat waterproof (since I cant control where he drives this thing), but I guess that just isnt in the cards for this truck.

Stormin2u 12-03-2008 07:36 AM

I find it hard to believe it's the battery it has to be the ESC or the motor. Let us know what happens tonight it's a interesting problem.

JeremyH 12-03-2008 07:53 AM

I was just given a suggestion to check for a stuck brush. This sounds like a very possible solution to the problem....as the motor is not new. I ran it in another crawler for quite some time before I put it in this truck.

One-eyed Jack 12-03-2008 02:49 PM

It is most likely the ESC shutting down on a Lipo cutoff. The Traxxas esc that I have run have the Lipo cutoff as a default setting. Check the esc manual and or the settings on the esc.

JeremyH 12-03-2008 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by One-eyed Jack (Post 1455526)
It is most likely the ESC shutting down on a Lipo cutoff. The Traxxas esc that I have run have the Lipo cutoff as a default setting. Check the esc manual and or the settings on the esc.

I don't think this one can handle a Lipo, so I don't think there is a voltage cutoff. If I am wrong, someone correct me!

JohnRobHolmes 12-03-2008 04:16 PM

stuck brush sounds like a good possiblity actually, don't know why that didn't occur to me.

JeremyH 12-03-2008 04:46 PM

Ok, I think Ken, mudboger07, who sent me the suggestion through PM that it might be a stuck brush, nailed it! I swapped out the brushes and have been running this thing for more than 1/2 hour and everything seems to be going well.

Thanks for all of the help guys!

JeremyH 12-03-2008 06:27 PM

Ok, this thing is still going strong....those brushes must have been quite bad....I notice a lot less friction in the motor now. At full throttle it used to stop within 6" after letting go of the throttle, now it rolls for about 18".

Stormin2u 12-03-2008 06:36 PM

That's good news and handy information sure hate to see a Christmas gift have a problem. :lol:"thumbsup"

I'm sure you dad will be surprised and delighted.

JeremyH 12-03-2008 06:45 PM

Haha....yeah, I cant wait to give it to him! He is gonna love this truck!

mudboger07 12-04-2008 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeremyH (Post 1455705)
Ok, I think Ken, mudboger07, who sent me the suggestion through PM that it might be a stuck brush, nailed it! I swapped out the brushes and have been running this thing for more than 1/2 hour and everything seems to be going well.

Thanks for all of the help guys!

glad i could help......it dont happen very often.....lol. anyways next time i get to tx well have to go crawlin 1:1...."thumbsup"

JeremyH 12-04-2008 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mudboger07 (Post 1457904)
anyways next time i get to tx well have to go crawlin 1:1...."thumbsup"

Sounds like a deal! I'll buy the beer!

Stormin2u 12-04-2008 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeremyH (Post 1455953)
Haha....yeah, I cant wait to give it to him! He is gonna love this truck!

Yeah it's going to be special to him. "thumbsup"