Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Super Wiring Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2008, 11:15 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Super Wiring Question

This is probably a simple question and I'm just waaay over analyzing it. I'm putting together my first Super and am planning on running 10 4200 Nimh's, 5 in/on/around each front wheel. This gives me 2, 6 volt packs. My question is this:

Do I need to use a BEC to power my servos or can I just run the black/red's from the servo's directly to one of the 5 cell packs? I've got a CC BEC sitting here that I bought for this but now that I'm laying out the wiring harness I don't see why I need it.

I'm going to use my Mamba Max to power my receiver, just wondering about powering the servo's.

Thanks,
John

Last edited by John82601; 12-04-2008 at 01:23 PM. Reason: Clarification
John82601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-2008, 11:35 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by John82601 View Post
This is probably a simple question and I'm just waaay over analyzing it. I'm putting together my first Super and am planning on running 10 4200 Nimh's, 5 in/on/around each front wheel. This gives me 2, 6 volt packs. My question is this:

Do I need to use a BEC to power my servos or can I just run the black/red's from the servo's directly to one of the 5 cell packs? I've got a CC BEC sitting here that I bought for this but now that I'm laying out the wiring harness I don't see why I need it.

Thanks,
John
You can run it directly from one of the packs to the receiver. Do not use the bec from the esc if you do this.
One-eyed Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 11:38 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

I was planning on my Mamba Max powering my receiver, I was wondering about powering the servo's. Is there any advantage to using the CC BEC to drop the 12 volts to 6 for powering the servos vs just wiring the servo power wires to one of the 6 volt packs?
John82601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 01:59 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by John82601 View Post
I was planning on my Mamba Max powering my receiver, I was wondering about powering the servo's. Is there any advantage to using the CC BEC to drop the 12 volts to 6 for powering the servos vs just wiring the servo power wires to one of the 6 volt packs?
You can mix it up like a lot of the guys are doing,BUT!!! I have seen more post about frying the CC Bec when they do it that way. If you wire the CC BEC like the diagram sent with it you are less likely to burn it up. Some of these guys are getting really creative in their wireing only to burn up the BEC. When you mix it up you create the potential for an auto-transformer connection. ie the voltages are additive. 6+12 etc. Apparently some of these guys are getting the high voltage and burning up BEC and servos. 6v is good 12-18v is very bad. Use one or the other and it will work fine. Mix it up and it could be a crap shoot.
One-eyed Jack is offline   Reply With Quote