Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Sensored Motor and NON Sensored ESC.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2008, 12:59 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Sensored Motor and NON Sensored ESC.

ok got a goat system (esc and 18.5 motor). i have developed a sensor wire issue on the motor. ? is can i install a NON sensored motor on the GOAT ESC.

if i can, anything i need to do to make it work correctly?

2ndly, visa-versa, can i run the Novak 18.5 with say a MambaMax. what about the sensore wires?

i pulled the goat until i hear from Novak on what to do to get the Goat System working proplery again. i installed my MM/5700 with 14t pinion. HOLY SHIT Batman, WHEEL SPEED is INSAIN, and i thought it was NUTZ with the Goat.

any help you folks can offer would be appreciated.
Timmahh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-08-2008, 03:08 PM   #2
DMC
Rock Stacker

I'd like to know the same sort of thing. I've got a max and a novak sensored motor (undisclosed :-P) for just a bit of wheel speed but nice low end. It cogs a bit but otherwise works great. I'm going to gear down a bit more and adjust my throttle curves on the max to dial out some of the start up cogging. Overall though it has been a great transition and worked well so far (crossing fingers). I don't know what the long term on this will be but so far so good. Need to find a way to deal with the sensor wiring though. Looks messy.

any thoughts from the pros would be appreciated

Last edited by DMC; 12-08-2008 at 03:11 PM.
DMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 05:01 PM   #3
K_B
I wanna be Dave

You can run a sensored motor with a non-sensor ESC like DMC, but not vice-versa. The lack of sensor input causes the ESC to go into fail-safe mode or whatever and won't supply power to the motor. At least that's what happens on my Novak Super Sport brushless system. It just blinks at you indicating that the sensor wire is unplugged.

This has got the wheels turning in my head. I may have to try my 17.5T Novak motor with my MM in my scaler just for yucks. Any bets on how long it takes for the magic smoke to come out?
K_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 06:25 PM   #4
DMC
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_B View Post
This has got the wheels turning in my head. I may have to try my 17.5T Novak motor with my MM in my scaler just for yucks. Any bets on how long it takes for the magic smoke to come out?
well novak tends to be conservative in their voltage handling specs. I'm running a few less turns than that in my tuber with a 3s1p (sometimes 2p when I don't feel like walking to the truck to charge). It is wicked fast but still can crawl ok more gear would help. I'd imagine your 17.5 would make a pretty good crawler (the goat is 18.5) and have a little more WS than the goat (which is already pretty good). Magic smoke is usually the result of too much fun anyways.
DMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 06:05 PM   #5
RCC Addict

for confirmation, then No, i can not run a non sensored mortor with my Goat ESC? is that correct?
Timmahh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 01:25 AM   #6
K_B
I wanna be Dave

Correcto-mundo! The ESC needs sensor input to know where the rotor is (part of the locked rotor detection programming I imagine) and without it, it doesn't know what the hell to do with the motor...
K_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 11:46 AM   #7
RCC Addict

Running a sensored motor on a sensorless ESC won't fry it, but you will see very poor performance I would imagine. Sensorless ESCs like the MM, our R1 and others have trouble starting the high-wind motors, ie. 17.5, 21.5. For crawling, sensorless is not the way to go, sensored or brushed and even I prefer brushed over sensored for motor control.
Ty@Tekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 09:21 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty@Tekin View Post
Running a sensored motor on a sensorless ESC won't fry it, but you will see very poor performance I would imagine. Sensorless ESCs like the MM, our R1 and others have trouble starting the high-wind motors, ie. 17.5, 21.5. For crawling, sensorless is not the way to go, sensored or brushed and even I prefer brushed over sensored for motor control.
What ESC combo that is brushless from Tekin do you recommend for crawl speeds??

I used Tekin products like chargers and brushed ESC in the past and I remember them being first class.
TRuX is offline   Reply With Quote