Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: 2.4 radios

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2008, 09:01 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default 2.4 radios

im wondering what 2.4 radio i should get. im thinking the DX3S, but it is really pricy. i looked at the airtronics MX-3FHSS, but im wondering if the spectrum is worth the money? what is the differance? is on more relaible?
Mr.Cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-13-2008, 09:09 PM   #2
RCC Addict

DX3R, hands down. Has 3 position switches that are programmable, which is very important if you plan on having a dig.
wrightcs77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 09:11 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Depending on whether you are going to be running Dig. If this is something you are going to do then look for something with a 3 postion Aux. Here are some examples for you. I am not sure on any other brand specs but Spectrum is a controller that alot of guys on here use.

DX3.0 2 position
DX3S 2 position
DX3R 3 position

I would recommend getting the DX3R. You might pay alot up front but you will have a transmitter that will last forever. I have the DX3.0 but do want to get a DX3R eventually

The DX3R you can get for 259.99 from www.thebarnfloor.com
treday619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 09:31 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

ya i am getting a dig thats why i need it, and to set the servo end points. can i set the endpoints on the dig servo to keep it from burning up
Old 12-13-2008, 09:35 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

is it worth the extra $60 to get the DX3R
Old 12-13-2008, 10:00 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Yes and yes.
wrightcs77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 10:19 PM   #7
RCC Addict

i have had nothing but issues with a few different Spektrum systems. seen others have as much headache with them.

imho, buy a Nomadio React. you can get them at DavesMotors.com for 269. use promo code HBF or LSF and you ll get 5% off, and DDM offers Free US Shipping on orders over 100.00 so it ll be shipped free. after the 5% you ll end up around 245.00 shipped for the React system.

4 chnls, 40 model memory, mixing on all channels, epas/expos/trims/subtrims/servo speeds on all 4 channels, can be used as a cpu joystick. you do need to connect it to your computer to register the unit, and get the latest software. but once its registered and setup, its a great system and VERY easy to use.
Timmahh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 11:00 PM   #8
RCC Addict

i think the Airtronics RDS8000 "crawler edition" is a very enticing choice to the dx3r and the nomad. More channels than you will ever need. Runs dual motor setups(bergs/clods) and has 2.4. Includes two recievers,gives you options right away to change your super and 2.2 or whatever you have. I Am going to be purchasing one after x-mas time(big move to washinton state). here is a link. also check your Local Hobby Shop
http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/751710.asp
*****edit****** i have a spektrum 2.0 system right now FYI
xgerstandtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 11:16 PM   #9
Who's your Daddy-0!

I have a DX2.0, DX3R, DX6i. I have had no probs out of any of them. They are the best radios I have ever had. For crawling nothing can touch the DX3R! Model memory....more than you will ever use! 2.4! Easy to navigate through the menu. Good battery life and only 4 aa's not 8 like some others. 3 position switch for easy dig setup. A lot of RC's can be bound to it like the Losi MRC. And you can get some awesome skins for it as well!!
TattooKenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 01:24 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

I would steer clear of the dx3s it feels to flimsy. Its also only dsm not dsm2, so there are not many receiver options. I run the dx3.0 and am very happy with it. I also run a dx6i for my planes which works great. Spektrum is the way to go.
Who wants telemetry on a crawler anyway?
Whirlybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 01:42 AM   #11
Pebble Pounder

I love my Futaba 6EX, I can have up to 6 models programmed, so I have the option in running my Super that has 4 channels, My 2.2 that has 3 channels, or my Heli or plane that use all the channels. plus you have the option to mix channels. plus I got a deal buying 4 RXs at once

Andrew
vltchkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 02:30 AM   #12
Who's your Daddy-0!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whirlybird View Post
Who wants telemetry on a crawler anyway?
I have Telemetry on one of my comp 2.2's. It's very handy when you run lipo's. I can monitor the voltage of the battery while crawling with no worries and see the voltage at the RX as well. On top of that it has a timer that comes in handy, when running a 5 minute comp course I can see my time left, no need to yell it at me non stop. And I can see my motor temps or battery temps as well. Running a 5 and 7T puller wide open can get warm So there are reasons that it can help out in crawling as well
TattooKenny is offline   Reply With Quote