Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Motor speeds?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2008, 09:00 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Motor speeds?

I just got through putting my integy 45T motors in my berg. When I ordered them I got them from holmes and I had the comm cut or whatever it is before he shipped them to me. I was messing with it today and I noticed the rear is quite a bit faster than the front. When I first built my berg I put all the wires + to + and - to - so the front axle was turning the opposite direction of the rear. So I swapped + and - on the rear. I didnt ever notice a difference in speed between the two with my 55T novak motors but I was running a used novak in the rear and a new one in the front. Is the rear faster because it is wired backwards or could it be something inside? I have the same pininon front and rear. If the motor is gonna be faster because it is wired backwards then I will wire the front one backwards and I should be able to reverse the throttle on the radio to get it to go in the right direction and then the faster one will be up front.
robert97dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-18-2008, 09:36 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert97dodge View Post
I just got through putting my integy 45T motors in my berg. When I ordered them I got them from holmes and I had the comm cut or whatever it is before he shipped them to me. I was messing with it today and I noticed the rear is quite a bit faster than the front. When I first built my berg I put all the wires + to + and - to - so the front axle was turning the opposite direction of the rear. So I swapped + and - on the rear. I didnt ever notice a difference in speed between the two with my 55T novak motors but I was running a used novak in the rear and a new one in the front. Is the rear faster because it is wired backwards or could it be something inside? I have the same pininon front and rear. If the motor is gonna be faster because it is wired backwards then I will wire the front one backwards and I should be able to reverse the throttle on the radio to get it to go in the right direction and then the faster one will be up front.

im not sure but, i believe its in your motor timing. if the rear is advanced w/ rev polaity u need to advance it that much the opposite way
hodges996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 09:39 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

How do you adjust the motor timing? Can I would rather adjust the front so that it is just a bit faster than the rear.
Old 12-19-2008, 05:34 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

TTT any one else?
Old 12-19-2008, 07:22 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

The top of the motor has a mark on both sides, that line up with a mark on the motor can. The can also has a few other marks at equal intervals. If you turn the motor top so that you line up different marks, you are changing the timing.

I have a thread right now askin about what the changes in timing do... but no one has answered yet. One way I think makes max torque and the the other way makes a motor faster???
Harvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 07:06 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

TTT anyone know?
Old 12-23-2008, 08:22 PM   #7

Quote:
TTT anyone know?
The further the center mark on the endbell is from the center mark on the can, the more timing you have. The more timing you have the faster your motor will spin, at the expense of torque. I leave all of my motors for crawling at zero timing.

FWIW, if you have a motor spinning backwards when it is connected with the correct polarity, the correct way to reverse the motor rotation is to turn the endbell around 180 degrees.

Last edited by whoodie; 12-23-2008 at 08:25 PM.
whoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 10:24 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Ok do you have to take something off to see these marks? I am sitting here looking at a Novak 55T motor and I see no mark. I am assuming the end ball you are talking about it the silver deal right in the middle on the end of the motor that the wires get soldered too?? Another thing I was reading through the construction of a motor thread and it is pointing to what everything is. It specify the prong on the side that has the brush is the solder post. It doesnt say the prong by the springs is a solder post. Does it hurt to solder to the prong by the brush? I think on all my motors I have done that so that both wires are on the same side. By looking at the plate going along the side it looks like it is all connected anyways so it shouldnt matter.
Old 12-25-2008, 10:25 PM   #9
Keep it real

Loosen the 2 screws holding the endbell on the can, and you will be able to rotate the endbell. Rotate it a little one way or the other to adjust your timing(this will change the speed) until you get what you want.
Tanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 10:56 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanis View Post
Loosen the 2 screws holding the endbell on the can, and you will be able to rotate the endbell. Rotate it a little one way or the other to adjust your timing(this will change the speed) until you get what you want.

I will try that. Thanks. I did notice the rear does have less torque because it has more motor stall than my old novak 55t.
Old 12-25-2008, 11:03 PM   #11

Quote:
I will try that. Thanks. I did notice the rear does have less torque because it has more motor stall than my old novak 55t.
I would retard the rear motor and/or advance the rear. You could also try running stiffer motor springs in the rear motor to get more torque. You may open your self a can of worms with motor tuning. The advent of brushless technology in racing has nearly erased the motor knowledge gap in racing. There are so many little tricks to brushed motors that I can see as being a great benefit to MOA rigs.
whoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 11:06 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoodie View Post
I would retard the rear motor and/or advance the rear. You could also try running stiffer motor springs in the rear motor to get more torque. You may open your self a can of worms with motor tuning. The advent of brushless technology in racing has nearly erased the motor knowledge gap in racing. There are so many little tricks to brushed motors that I can see as being a great benefit to MOA rigs.
I am gonna flip the wires around so that the polarity is correct and then flip the end ball around 180 and just play with it until it is just a hair slower than the front. I am not sure what all is involved but JRH comm cut the motors. When I ordered them it cost a extra $5 and it is supposed to make them have a smoother low end or something.
Old 12-26-2008, 07:29 PM   #13
Keep it real

The extra $5 bucks you paid to cut the commutator, is to true it, as Integy Lathe motors are notorious for having comms that are out of round and also cone shaped from the factory. If you don't cut the comm, the brushes won't make full contact thus losing low speed smoothness and torque
Tanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 08:34 PM   #14
RCC Addict

I would set both motors to 0 timing and then advance the front just a bit to get the faster wheelspeed in the front. You could also set both to 0 and run 1 tooth smaller pinion in the rear.
Culetto is offline   Reply With Quote