Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Novak Smart tray

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2008, 08:58 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Novak Smart tray

is this discharger any good? I've been looking to get one to discharge my batteries.(Nimh's).

I read that this is a equalizer? What does that mean? And compared to a deans discharger(the bulbs) how does it differ? And what voltage rate should i set for the discharge of an elite 3300mah sc 6c pack?
Bow3022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-26-2008, 06:53 AM   #2
MODERATOR™

Let the truck do the discharging for you, so save your money.

When it's time to charge the pack, do the usual fast charge at 1C, so in your case charge them at 3.3 amps. Then when they're done let them cool a little, and you want to trickle charge them at 1/10C, which is 0.3 amps for many hours. Many hours. This will force feed them all until they all have as much juice as they can handle.

The cells that are full first will turn the extra charge into heat until the cells without the full charge are full. Great way to keep the cells in balance. And most manufacturers recommend this about once a month or so, depends how often you cycle your batteries.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 09:18 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

Well, i have a superbrain 960. Only charges at .5 increments......So would i be able to charge at 3.5amps and then .5 amps?

Because i always thought that a nimh should be cycled properly w/e the discharger.....So i guess i could always just run it till the battery can't move the tires?
Old 12-26-2008, 09:19 AM   #4
MODERATOR™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bow3022 View Post
So would i be able to charge at 3.5amps and then .5 amps?
Sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bow3022 View Post
So i guess i could always just run it till the battery can't move the tires?
Exactly.
Old 12-26-2008, 10:29 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Unfortunately what EP has suggested is the exact thing you don't want to do with nimh cells.The novak discharger is a maintenance tray that keeps your sub-c cells balanced and at optimum performance levels.It helps you avoid doing what EP says when it comes to a cell overheating while waiting for another cell which is not balanced with the fully charged cell,to finish charging which can lead to a dangerous explosion.Also,all current sub-c nimh cells like to be charged at a 2c average.The 3300 can be charged at 5amps no problem and without any negative effects.This brings me to the point,that if you run nimh and want to get the best performance/lifespan out of them,you will need some type of tray to keep them in tip top shape.This is why you have seen so many go the lipo route.No need for any of that stuff.A lipo charger with cell balancer and your set.Not trying to start an argument here but,with battery use of any kind comes some sort of responsibility to know the proper way to charge and maintain them to keep yourself and others safe.Hope this helps.
racenut123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 10:32 AM   #6
MODERATOR™

Huh, cause that's what I've been told years ago, and my GP3300s are still kicking ass. Not a problem with any of the cells I have, and that'd be... 24 of them.

Your mileage may vary I guess.
Old 12-26-2008, 10:57 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Thats cool.I guess these crawlers dont put any real load on these packs then.I come from a r/c car,boat and plane racing/cometition background.We put our batteries to the test and when treated in anyway other then what I stated, is a recipe for disaster.When the GP3300's were the cell,they were a very robust cell that could take some abuse.The newer cells they sell today{I dont care what the brand on the cell shows} are very volitile in nature and have seen alot of people get hurt using them the way it was put.If they are the GP3300 then more then likley this will not happen.Just use common sense and you should be ok.More then likely EP if you cycled those packs,they would not be even close to what they were when you 1st bought them.But as I get more into crawling,the power demands are so small in comparison to what a racer is use to,that you will never know the difference.
racenut123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 11:09 AM   #8
MODERATOR™

Yeah after the 3300s, I hear everything went into fragile mode. I jumped ship on the Sub-C boat and went over to little 2/3A Elites for a few, then went over to Lipos.

With the way crawlers are with batteries, I don't think you really need to do anything but charge them, and use them. Just exercise the cells, and they're good.

I do use three 6 cell packs of GP3300s still, in my CR-01. Two are old, one is new, and they seem to be about the same. Just use them and don't beat on them too badly seems to be the ticket for me.
Old 12-26-2008, 01:06 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

Well, i don't know what to do now. lol.

I'm not racing or comp crawling, just bashing. I still want the best performance out of my batteries. I was thinking about the 2/3a cells but im not sure if its not enough to satisfy me.(only 1500 mah)
Old 12-26-2008, 01:53 PM   #10
MODERATOR™

Just charge them, and run til the truck stops, or recharge them.
Old 12-26-2008, 02:04 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

Will you be responsible for my packs if they go bad? :P
Old 12-26-2008, 02:10 PM   #12
MODERATOR™

Sure man, the class of 2004 has to look out for one another.
Old 12-26-2008, 09:41 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

Heh, didn't notice that. Excuse my ignorance of this subject. A few years ago Nimh's were like the Lipo's of today, never really knew about it all too much.(only used nicad's >_<)

I took a few years out of rc and it sucked me back in. Lol.