Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: batteries, lipo or NiMH

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2009, 08:29 AM   #1

Default batteries, lipo or NiMH

Hey guys. I am two months new to this hobby and don't have a clue what next!!
Two months ago I bought a Losi mini crawler and love it...my 5 year old son loves it too so of course we can't share a rig! I just bought an AX10 ARTR (the orange rig). I have bought almost everything for it...including a Goat system which should be here soon.
My question is about batteries. Can I run the same little packs that are used on the Mini crawler on the AX10? It would be great if I could so I don't have two chargers and two different types of batteries...plus the wife is already pissed that I spent money on another rig! LOL.
Any insight on how I should go from here would be great!
yj4roks is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-2009, 10:53 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

if you invest in a nice charger it should be able to do both lipo and mihm
but it all depends on your budget saddle packs seem to be popular with the ax10 and i have no knowledge on the mini but just get the batteries as low as possible
93'wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 11:56 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

go to ebay. in the search type "2/3a " find the 1400mah tenergy cells. and make your own saddle packs and install whatever plug you need. ive made 4 packs for about13 dollars each. you gotta attach the tabs better tho. for plug wire i used some 16awg primary lead wire from home depot. its no deans wet noodle but these crawlers dont draw enough current to justify the price of wet noodle. cheap packs that work. i get bout 45 mins of runtime with these
RobCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 12:27 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

to answer your question. Yes the batteries you have on the LMC will work just fine on the AX-10. Are you using the charger that came with it or do you have a better charger. If your using the chasrger that came with the losi yourgonna want to upgrade to a better charger. For about $50 you can get a nice adjustable charger to get the most out of your batteries. Theres also a nice charger by Duratrax. Onix its $75 and will charge NiMh and LiPo so you won't have to buy a new charger later if you make the LiPo jump.
bigflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 01:43 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

if ur gonna spend $75 on a charger u might as well spend another $60 and get the last charger ul ever need i have and love my Hyperion EOS0606i ac/dc $139 itsa good deal
cooterwrenchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 02:21 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

The Novak Goat works really well at 7.2 volts 6 cell pack (my recommendation) you can run a 7 cell pack if you like 8.4 volts but that is the limit as far as voltage on the Goat. NiMH C cells. NiMH 2/3 cells or Lipo 7.2 volts as long as you don't go above 8.4 volts. It will run higher voltages but it will shorten it's life expectancy.
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 02:21 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooterwrenchen View Post
if ur gonna spend $75 on a charger u might as well spend another $60 and get the last charger ul ever need i have and love my Hyperion EOS0606i ac/dc $139 itsa good deal
Thats funny. I know what your saying and the Hyperion is the best charger out there but not everyone wants to drop that much coin for a charger. Its almost twice as much. For $60 more he could get the onyx charger and some battery packs too. But if money isn't a problem the yes the charger you have is a great investment.
bigflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 02:42 PM   #8
TEAM MODERATOR

A GOOD charger and GOOD cells will make you or break you in any form of electric RC....period. Better equipment,you will have better performance and your equipment will last longer

IMO,stay away from flea bay,thats a crap shoot. Check out Holmes Hobbies,John carries top quality stuff.
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 11:41 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooterwrenchen View Post

Not bad advice.... For a NEWB
mtnyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 11:57 PM   #10
09 RCA champ!

i also love my 606i. i think its the best charger on the market for the money...it does everything i need it to do.

id also go with lipo's. i was iffy about switching from NiMh's for a long time until i drove another club members rig with a 3 cell and i was hooked!! i wouldnt even consider a NiMh now...
rednck21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 03:50 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

I've been using a Turnigy Accucel-6 50W charger for charging and balancing my 3S 2200mAh Lipos, as well as for charging NiCd and NiMH packs of all varieties. It only accepts DC input, so you need an AC-DC adapter for home use, but it only cost me $37.99 at hobbycity.com and has worked great for me for several weeks now. If you're of the opinion that you get what you pay for, you can always buy the charger for $70 from this source.

FWIW, my 2200mAh 3S Lipo's cost me only $22 each, have taken at least a couple dozen charges, still accept within 50mah of their rated capacity, and peak at 12.60volts.

After seeing the advantages of the 3S Lipo pack in my crawler, all of my friends are switching out their NiHM saddle packs for 3S Lipos, despite their original reservations about the potential fire risks.

Last edited by XPLORx4; 01-05-2009 at 03:55 PM.
XPLORx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 06:07 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

i second the acucel 6 it is a great charger
ubbb69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 07:40 AM   #13

Thanks for the replies! I was out with some buddies after I posted and one of them is still running the larger battery pack that the stock AX10 is set up for. He has it mounted on the rear axle and it seems to work really well...that thing is climbing crap I would have never imagined! I have a good charger and a few of those batteries that I will start out with...and spend my $$$ on other upgrades for now.
yj4roks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 07:56 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by yj4roks View Post
...plus the wife is already pissed that I spent money on another rig! LOL.
This comes with any hobby and doesn't go away.
Flip is offline   Reply With Quote