Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Faster in Reverse?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2009, 02:28 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Faster in Reverse?

So I bought my dad a used AX-10 off of the classifieds. It has a pretty basic setup:

TQ3
XL-5 ESC
Holmes Hobbies 55t handwound
2/3 split packs

The problem I'm having is that it goes faster in reverse than forward. I can reverse the motor wires and reverse the channel but then he has to double tap the throttle to go forward. (the lame XL-5 is setup with a double tap for reverse). I've also adjusted the throttle trim but that doesn't fix it either. Does it possible have to do with the way the motor is clocked?

Also, I wired the XL-5 to my motor with his receiver and it works fine... same speed forward or reverse. I guess it has to be narrowed down to the motor?

Thanks for any advice!
MtnBkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-2009, 02:38 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

I am having the same problem with almost the same setup, Let me know If you find out, I have a holmes hobbie 25t handwound that is timed @ zero according to the marks on the can, and an XL-5 with a tq3 radio and receiver.
Dubs Chops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 03:03 PM   #3
RCC Addict

hook the motor up and set your radio up for non reversed operation.
keep the wheels off the ground so it dont go.

Turn it all on. if its faster in rvs. rvs your controler functionl. it should be straight then.

some escs are able to change direction with their programming. what escs do you have?

by rvs the Tx AND the motor wires, your just making a 360* spin. do one or the other and it should be good.

be sure your forward and reverse EPAs are setup properly. check if your radio is in a 70/30 setup?
Timmahh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 03:26 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

flick the switch on your radio that says 70/30 to 50/50
Ryan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 05:00 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmahh View Post
hook the motor up and set your radio up for non reversed operation.
keep the wheels off the ground so it dont go.

Turn it all on. if its faster in rvs. rvs your controler functionl. it should be straight then.

some escs are able to change direction with their programming. what escs do you have?

by rvs the Tx AND the motor wires, your just making a 360* spin. do one or the other and it should be good.

be sure your forward and reverse EPAs are setup properly. check if your radio is in a 70/30 setup?
When the controller is reversed the speed controller requires double tapping the throttle instead of double tapping the brake. Kind of a pain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan33 View Post
flick the switch on your radio that says 70/30 to 50/50
It's on 50/50
Old 01-10-2009, 07:14 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Nobody has any better advice?

How about clocking a motor? I searched for other threads on this but didn't find much.

Can the way a motor is clocked affect it's speed in one direction or another?
Old 01-10-2009, 07:40 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnBkr View Post
can the way a motor is clocked affect it's speed in one direction or another?
yes, but its called timing. was this a new or used motor? if its used someone might have changed the timing.since its a used truck maybe it has a binding issue going forward thats not there is rev. what happens if you put his motor in your rig does it do the same thing?
thatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 09:26 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

I'd also check the motor's timing. If it's timing is anything other then zero degrees, it will be faster in one direction then the other. Look at the can of the motor to see if it is adjustable. Adjustable motors usually have a timing referance mark on them and a screw you can loosen to rotate the motor's end bell. Line the pointer up with the 0 mark and it will be good.

What kind of motor is this, by the way?

Some motors have fixed timing, so the only way to solve the problem is to reverse the leads going to the motor, and then spin the transmission around so the driveshafts are spinning the correct direction. Or, you could swap axles end for end, and the front of the truck becomes the rear, and vise versa. Symeterical chassis designs don't really have a front or rear, until you put the body on them, or if you only have 2 wheel steering. They could care less which direction is forward.

The last ditch effort would be to pry the tabs on the motor can off of the end bell, pull the end bell off, and rotate is 180 degrees, re-install, and then bend the tab back down. By rotating it 180 degrees, you reverse the motor direction (without changing the leads or their polarity), while keeping the timing the same.
Espeefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 10:33 PM   #9
RCC Addict

I put a new 7t puller from Holmes Hobbies in my son's Axial. It was faster in reverse then forward. The motor came with a Deans connector. This truck had a stock Axial rtr speed control. I swaped the wires at the connector and it was faster forward after. I installed a Tekin FX R speed control on the same truck and and the same thing faster in reverse! So I changed the wires again and it was faster on forward.--SO SWAP THE WIRES AT THE MOTOR--It ran better with the wires hooked up backwards! The timming might be off a little. It runs great! Matt
SDheavymetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 06:59 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Turn the body around...........
eddy4753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 12:08 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Sounds like the motor's timing is other than zero. You'll wear out the commutator prematurely, and probably throw sparks off the brushes.
Renslipevol is offline   Reply With Quote