Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Serious BEC and wiring problems

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2009, 01:29 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Serious BEC and wiring problems

I was attempting to kook up my new bec and the whole thing went up in smoke. I have a million questions to ask. I hooked the whole thing up like castle creations said to. I run a axial artr with an integy 45 turn, hitec 645, dna dig with hitec 225, cc sidewinder, venom 7.2 battery, spektrum 3100, and spektrum dx3r First question is when i plugged in the battery the servos powered up even with the switch off. Is that susposed to happen. Is my speed controler ruined? Is the bec ruined? Is there is some way to repair the damage without buying all new stuff? I believe what caused the problem is that the negative wire on the bec came undone from the sodder and touched the red battery terminal causing the short. Is there a better saffer way to hook all of this up. I have seen some other diagrams in other threads should i hook up my set up like this.
shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-2009, 01:33 AM   #2
RCC Addict

That diagram is exactly what i use, it works. Try plugging everything in individually to see if they still work.
Culetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 03:06 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I've always ran the power through RX and never had any problems. I wouldn't connect that CC BEC anywhere, because it seems the wire has been melted quite badly.
tomik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 06:35 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

From what I can see in the picture the fault was on the load side of the BEC. You need to clear the fault before you do anything else. I would still say the BEC is fried.
One-eyed Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 07:58 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Open yer stuff up and look for scorch marks and the strange sweet smell of the "magical Smoke" being let out of your bec/esc/rx. I am not familiar with a CC/BEC, but if you don't see any signs of scorching, maybe it has some sort of fusible link to protect the regulator. Good luck. Sounds as if you had a "cold solder joint" on that ground wire. Make sure after you remove the heat from your wire/solder that the wires are not moved at all, the slightest movement when the solder is not set up will result in a cold joint, which ultimately will fail. Also. if you have to cut any excess wire away from your solder joint, you need to re-flow that joint...
ohmyCLOD! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 09:32 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

im mainly worried about the esc. If the bec is fried i dont really care it is only like 20 bucks. Is there a way to take apart a sidewinder? Im gonna test my spektrum reciever in my savage and see if it works.
Old 01-18-2009, 09:34 AM   #7
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

I doubt the ESC is fried, I did the same thing to one of mine and it was fine. You probably just need a new rx lead on there.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 02:44 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Should the servos power up when the battery is pluged in and the switch is off. Also is there a way to take apart the sidewinder and add new rx wires
Old 01-18-2009, 02:49 PM   #9
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

You would have to be really good to fix it, you may best send it in to castle.

The servos will not power up until the sidewinder turns on, if it powers servos. If the external BEC is powering your servos, the radio and servos will turn on as soon as the battery is plugged in.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 06:12 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Gonna send it to castle to fix it cause i could never do it. So i just have to keep my battery unpluged if i dont want the servos to drain the battery.
Old 01-18-2009, 07:47 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

i would have also ran it thru the rx,that's the way they should be IMO
irok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 06:19 AM   #12
On the lookout for Rocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggy View Post
Should the servos power up when the battery is pluged in and the switch is off. Also is there a way to take apart the sidewinder and add new rx wires
Yes the servo will power up with the ESC switch off, b/c the servos are connected to the battery now. Before they were powered from the ESC. When the ESC was turned on, the power was transfered to the servos.
constantmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 11:09 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by constantmotion View Post
Yes the servo will power up with the ESC switch off, b/c the servos are connected to the battery now. Before they were powered from the ESC. When the ESC was turned on, the power was transfered to the servos.
Thanks guys just wanted to make sure. I sent it off to caslte for repair. Hopefully under warranty, if not though it is only 35 buck. I thought i was going to have to buy a new one. I now have to wait 4 weeks until the esc comes back.:-(