Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Thinking of getting stick Radio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2009, 11:11 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Thinking of getting stick Radio

Hello I am new to Crawler's and electrics I have run nitro rc and fly when I get the chance. I am thinking about getting a Venom Crawler and running a Teking combo. My first of what I am sure to be many questions is about a radio set up I was getting ready to get a new radio for a new plane I am building and was thinking of the Futaba 6 or 7 c. I was wondering what I would have to do to get this to work in a crawler and are there any other reciever packs that I can mate uo with this radio. I am also open to other brands of radios and I appreciate any and all help.
boisetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-2009, 01:20 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

The Spektrum DX6i is very popular. You won't really need a reciever pack. Everything would be run off the ESC and main battery. You might need a BEC setup to up the juice to the servo's depending on your final decision of ESC, but not a reciever batter pack.

The only drawback is that with the reversing ESC's and stick radio's, you'll probably want the thottle modded to be spring loaded center like the right stick. That could be an issue since it sounds like you want to use it for aircraft and ground vehicles. That would be up to what your comfortable with I guess.

You can't buy the parts to mod the DX6i but you can send it into Horizon and have it modded for free. I recently bought one and just sent it in for the mod. It's not supposed to cost anything other than the shipping to them. I haven't gotten it back yet so I won't say for sure. I called the tech support and that's what I was told.
Mriswith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 01:45 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I cant stand running stick radios on cars. I run the dx3r for my crawler works great. The only way i would switch is if i needed like all 6 channels for winch 4 wheel steer dig but then i would have to enter the super class.
shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 06:50 AM   #4
RCC Addict

I run a DX6 and LOVE IT!!! I would not like a stick radio for FAST stuff, but for the crawling, it really affords a great level of control. ALSO, I am building a new MOA rig, and going to run 2 ESCs. In order to have control of both axles in a mixed and independant role, a 4 channel radio is required. A Futaba 4pk would fit that need, but for less than 1/3 the price you can get a DX6 and have 6 channels. RXs are also 1/2 the price for the DX6. ALSO if you look around you can still find NEW or great quality DX6 radios....they can be modded for the spring loaded throttle return at home....the DX6i does require Horizon to do the mod. When I switched to stick....it calmed down my driving, and really let me grow. This is just my experiance, but it works well for me.
xirtic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 10:51 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by xirtic View Post
I would not like a stick radio for FAST stuff, but for the crawling, it really affords a great level of control.

When I switched to stick....it calmed down my driving, and really let me grow. This is just my experiance, but it works well for me.
X2

I'm using a DX6 for my 2.2 and I love it. Check ebay if you want a cheap DX6, I just picked one up for $60, gonna keep it for spare parts etc.
Ced RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 10:57 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

X3! I still like pistal grips for fast RCs, but for scale and crawling machines, a stick radio is nice.

I would suggest a Futaba radio, because that is what I run. You won't be disappointed. They are quality radios. To take and use a radio set-up for air use is no big deal, except that you won't have a self-centering stick on the left side. You can change this, by purchasing parts directly from Futaba (just did this myself), but the downside is your radio wouldn't be to handy for aircraft use then, as you'd loose the racheting, set it and foget it, throttle.
Espeefan is offline   Reply With Quote