Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: new to crawling.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2009, 03:49 AM   #1

Default new to crawling.

Can someone help me out and tell me what radio I need to get to run four wheel steering and what the best servos would be to get for a stick chassis crawler running Giant tracs? I keep reading things about radios not working or frying servos with certain things and I have no Idea what to get I want to buy the right stuff the first time and not beat around the bush if you know what Im saying. The rig that I have coming is this one if it helps at all. http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/showthread.php?t=155678

I found a recommended parts list for the stick before but I cant seem to find it now. Thanks for any help.
bigranger48111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-02-2009, 06:12 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

You should look at the stickyed threads at the top of the electronics page. They help a lot. Look at the definitive radio thread or the modded TQ3 thread. I just recently purchased a TQ3, and am in the process of aquiring the parts to mod it for independent 4WS. There are several radios you can do this with.
SUPERINVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 08:20 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

The modded TQ3 is a great inexpensive choice, however due to the lack of End Point Adjustments, it could wind up being a costly one for your servos.

In my eyes, the 2 best radios to run a Super (or any rig for that matter) are the first gen Spektrum DX3 (not the newer DX3.0...it only has a two position third channel) and the new DX3R.

Both of these models have a three position third channel which is crucial for rear steer. There are modules available that allow you to have rear steer with a two channel radio, but they don't allow fully independent steering.

The DX3's are disco'd but they are around if you look, and you can do the same toggle mod to them as you would the TQ3. The DX3R has fully asssignable switches so you can program the rear steer to the button that is most comfortable for you.

The other way to go, although more expensive, is with a stick radio and dual ESC's for complete independent control of both throttle and steering.

Here's the link on how to perform the DX3 toggle mod. I personaly prefer and would suggest the momentary return to center toggle from TCS over the Radio Shack switch that is used in the thread.

http://rccrawler.com/forum/showthrea...dx3+toggle+mod

Here's my DX3 with the TCS toggle mod:

Last edited by CreepyCrawl; 02-05-2009 at 10:38 PM.
CreepyCrawl is offline   Reply With Quote