Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Sidewinder or FXR?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2009, 09:30 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Sidewinder or FXR?

So here I am ready to move on from my Novak stuff because I'd like to run more cells..

I am debating the FXR and The Sidewinder, but I can't seem to find a huge reason to pick one over the other. The Sidewinder is cheaper, but the FXR is substantially smaller..

-I plan to use them in my scalers.

-anywhere from 6 to 10 cells

-I usually use 35t motors, but having the option to use something else is nice.

-I run one servo, no seperate BEC (usually the "toeard pro, or a hitec 645mg)

-I usually use the novak XRS ( I do have one rooster crawler ) and like it because of its price point, and size, but as I stated I desire the ability to run more cells.

Any reason to use one over the other?

Any other sugestions?
XSRCdesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-13-2009, 09:43 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Having never ran a Sidewinder, I can't comment on them, but I have had some experience (great experience at that) with the Tekin FXR. The Tekin is a great little ESC. Very user friendly, very easy to set-up, or program, and such a capable unit in such a small package. It's got great flexibility. It's not rated for 10 cells, though. With crawlers getting smaller and more confined, Tekin gets major bonus points for the small size. The FXR is smaller then some receivers, but that's just half the battle. It's a really nice speed controller with an excellent drag brake and very smooth, low end control. I've got two on order right now, and they probably won't be my last.
Espeefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 09:59 PM   #3
RCC Addict

THe FX R is a great speed controler. My son an I run them. The drag brake is insane! It is very small and would work well in a scaler because if it's size. I'm running 10cells and a 55t motor. I would get a esc and motor combo. You can get 35t 45t or 55t motors with the speed controler.
Matt
SDheavymetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 10:12 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

the FXR is thre best esc out there. The sidewinder doesn't have a very good bec. and programing it is a real pain without the castle link. The only reason I would go with the sidewinder is if you were running an external BEC and wanted the option of running brushless. The FXR will run a pretty hot brushed motor.
bigflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 10:15 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I would take the Sidewinder.
Price is $20+ less, in the game longer, ability to run either brushed or brushless, completely customizable with a very simple programming software. Castlelink is $15 cheaper then the Hotwire.

Both are great ESC's, I just like the options of the Sidewinder better.
blackfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 10:22 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfoot View Post
I would take the Sidewinder.
Price is $20+ less, in the game longer, ability to run either brushed or brushless, completely customizable with a very simple programming software. Castlelink is $15 cheaper then the Hotwire.

Both are great ESC's, I just like the options of the Sidewinder better.
sorry to bust your theory but Tekin has been at it longer than Castle when it comes to land esc's.
bigflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 10:27 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigflex View Post
sorry to bust your theory but Tekin has been at it longer than Castle when it comes to land esc's.
Sorry, but you missed the point. Sidewinder has been around awhile, FXR a few months. And until now, what have they offered, the Rebel 2..... M'Kay, there is a mediocre accomplishment

Last edited by blackfoot; 02-13-2009 at 10:30 PM.
blackfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 10:36 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Having owned both i would go with the fxr. I had issues with my sidewinder not holding a program which is annoying when you program your esc and by the time you get to the crawling spot it doesn't work and you have to go home because of it. I tried to talk to castle about it and they were less than helpful and even less than polite. The fxr you can program with the 2 little buttuns on the front of it. Ive been running mine now for a few months. Its great, and ive only had to program it once. I learned cheaper isn't always better.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 11:06 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Thanks guys, I was leaning toward the Tekin, I guess I just needed the reinforcement..
Old 02-13-2009, 11:14 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Sorry i have to go with the sidewinder. The durability and flexibility would be my selling points even if they were the same price.

Brushed or Brushless, the ease of programming, i dont think i will ever buy another piece of RC equipment that cant be programmed on a computer. It just makes life so easy.
Culetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 11:30 PM   #11
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Go with the FXR
chip cross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 03:18 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Actually the FxR was available on the market well before the SW. It is a reversing version of our pro level race controller and did not become popular with the crawler crowd until people discovered that the smooth adjustable drag brake and low speed throttle control designed for racing were also excellent for crawling

We try very hard not to bash on any products and these are both very good controllers, but factual comparisons and explanations of what makes Tekin different seem reasonable. Sorry for the long read but once in a while we think it is justified and we assume there is a high level of users that are actually interested. This is a good titled thread with unbiased balanced support. My comments are Tekin compared to the market in general and not specific products.

The FxR is more expensive than most controllers to build. Just the hard cost of the massive microprocessor and the fets is double what we can literally buy a mass produced OEM import speedo for. We also do everything possible in the US including housing molds and silicon wire. In addition to tons of features and diagnostice possible with the 7 leds on board and the Hotwire, it has 2 circuit boards to make it ultra small, has more power fets inside, gold plated solder posts, a robust BEC, hi temp and impact resistant plastic housings, self cleaning and durable power switch and the best servo plug we could find for durability of the housing and quality electrical signal thru the connection. Some of these things people do not notice… which is the point, they just work and people do not notice…

Power handling FYI… realize fets and how you drive them are a significant part of the cost of a speedo…
BL controllers that have 12 fets only use 8 of those fets when in brushed fwd/rev mode. The FxR has 16fets and uses them all. To be fair realize the constant power handling of the FxR is not double because we have no heatsink . It does handle current surges better, has good enough heat control for the applications they are designed for and a choice we made to make it small.

The R1/RS have 24 fets and use 16fets in brushed fwd/rev. The R1pro/RSpro have 48fets and use 32 fets in this mode. The FxRpro has 32 fets and uses them all.

We are now marketing the B1R as a mini crawler speedo. It has 4 fets and uses them all. This little stud actually handles 2s and a 55turn motor in 1/10 crawlers easily. We do suggest a separate BEC for serious users.

We design products for specific applications with no compromises and little concern for cost. We will rarely offer the cheapest choice, but we are also not snobby overpriced in any market. Our products perform well, we support them and are constantly improving them. We think we have earned the right to stand tall and beat our chest a little. The FxR speaks for itself since you found us and we did not even market this product to the crawler market until it was already very popular. Now we are all over it and looking at improvements, new features and new products to offer that also meat your needs. We love crawlers!

Tekin Prez

Last edited by Tekin Prez; 02-14-2009 at 03:27 PM.
Tekin Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 03:43 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamtekin View Post
Actually the FxR was available on the market well before the SW. It is a reversing version of our pro level race controller and did not become popular with the crawler crowd until people discovered that the smooth adjustable drag brake and low speed throttle control designed for racing were also excellent for crawling

We try very hard not to bash on any products and these are both very good controllers, but factual comparisons and explanations of what makes Tekin different seem reasonable. Sorry for the long read but once in a while we think it is justified and we assume there is a high level of users that are actually interested. This is a good titled thread with unbiased balanced support. My comments are Tekin compared to the market in general and not specific products.

The FxR is more expensive than most controllers to build. Just the hard cost of the massive microprocessor and the fets is double what we can literally buy a mass produced OEM import speedo for. We also do everything possible in the US including housing molds and silicon wire. In addition to tons of features and diagnostice possible with the 7 leds on board and the Hotwire, it has 2 circuit boards to make it ultra small, has more power fets inside, gold plated solder posts, a robust BEC, hi temp and impact resistant plastic housings, self cleaning and durable power switch and the best servo plug we could find for durability of the housing and quality electrical signal thru the connection. Some of these things people do not notice… which is the point, they just work and people do not notice…

Power handling FYI… realize fets and how you drive them are a significant part of the cost of a speedo…
BL controllers that have 12 fets only use 8 of those fets when in brushed fwd/rev mode. The FxR has 16fets and uses them all. To be fair realize the constant power handling of the FxR is not double because we have no heatsink . It does handle current surges better, has good enough heat control for the applications they are designed for and a choice we made to make it small.

The R1/RS have 24 fets and use 16fets in brushed fwd/rev. The R1pro/RSpro have 48fets and use 32 fets in this mode. The FxRpro has 32 fets and uses them all.

We are now marketing the B1R as a mini crawler speedo. It has 4 fets and uses them all. This little stud actually handles 2s and a 55turn motor in 1/10 crawlers easily. We do suggest a separate BEC for serious users.

We design products for specific applications with no compromises and little concern for cost. We will rarely offer the cheapest choice, but we are also not snobby overpriced in any market. Our products perform well, we support them and are constantly improving them. We think we have earned the right to stand tall and beat our chest a little. The FxR speaks for itself since you found us and we did not even market this product to the crawler market until it was already very popular. Now we are all over it and looking at improvements, new features and new products to offer that also meat your needs. We love crawlers!

Tekin Prez
Well that was a very well written reason...

not they typical "cuz its more better" reply..

I was leaning toward the Tekin anyway, but this reminded me of the conversations we had about speedos at the nats in Montana..

Tekin it is..
Old 02-14-2009, 03:54 PM   #14
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamtekin View Post

Tekin Prez
No doubt Tekin makes a nice product. You really can't go wrong with either one exesivefire.

I personally only run Castle Creations any more because of the versatility and programming. For example, today I was bored with my 1.9 JK scaler running a Mamba Max, CC BEC, 3S lipo, and Holmes Crawl Master brushless outrunner w/ 1000KV. I wanted something fast to just bash with in the yard. I happen to have a custom hand wound brushed motor laying around with about 15 turns. I soldered on new ends on the motor, reprogrammed the Mamba Max and have been bashing all afternoon with it.

That is why I love Castle Creation. Complete versatility. Brushed or brushless and I can program it anytime, anywhere with my lap top. I will not say one brand is better than another because many guys in the local club run the FXR and absolutely love it. Small foot print and it works excellent with brushed motors only. I just prefer brushless out runners for scalers especially because of the lack of maintenance. I also prefer brushless out runners in my Super because of the massive raw power and sometimes in my 2.2. Everybody is different though. IMO though, you can't do wrong with either one
Nova's Ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 03:58 PM   #15
MODERHATER™

I have both, the Sidewinder is alot smoother down low than the FxR .
666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 10:14 PM   #16
Rock Stacker

Keep in mind the FXR is really small!! I could probably mout a FXR and my 3PM radio in my SCX10 electronics box. My sidewinder alone won't fit with the lid on.
gta3wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 11:39 PM   #17
I joined the Band!

just get it over with and get a mamba max comes with link and wont go up in smoke like fxr
vdubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 06:34 AM   #18
Rock Crawler

I say get the Tekin, doesn't get any better than the FXR/pro.
Btw, who cares about running brushless....these are crawlers
Trugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 06:43 AM   #19
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 666 View Post
I have both, the Sidewinder is alot smoother down low than the FxR .
I would love to hear a response to this by Teamtekin.

I have made the switch to the FXR from the MM and there is a difference in throttle control on start up. The MM starts up as slow as you can possible start, with the FXR it's like an off / on button with a higher RPM at start up but you can then let off a little and slow it back down. It is very hard to tell it is doing this unless your used to the MM. Is there a special setup that we can use to mask this?

Thank you Teamtekin for taking the time to try and help on this issue.

Mike
Rockshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 08:18 AM   #20
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockshow View Post
I would love to hear a response to this by Teamtekin.

I have made the switch to the FXR from the MM and there is a difference in throttle control on start up. The MM starts up as slow as you can possible start, with the FXR it's like an off / on button with a higher RPM at start up but you can then let off a little and slow it back down. It is very hard to tell it is doing this unless your used to the MM. Is there a special setup that we can use to mask this?

Thank you Teamtekin for taking the time to try and help on this issue.

Mike

X2...I would also like to know if there is anything that I can do for this, Rockshow and I have talked about this before and I understood what he was saying but, last night I was working with a prototype chassis and was using a MM and it starts up WAY better than my FXR that I use on my personal crawler. I wonder if the hotwire would solve this for us?....other than this I have absolutly NO COMPLAINts @ all about TEKIN or the FXR
SULFUR is offline   Reply With Quote