Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: venom fireball 55t smoking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2009, 10:08 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default venom fireball 55t smoking

was driving and noticed it smelled hot next day saw smoke coming from it, disconnected the battery straight away. It's about a month old. I didn't have it bound up and the gear mesh was fine. been the same settings for about a month, I did just ad the CC bec a couple days ago, but that should put less strain on the motor right?

anyone else have trouble with the new fireballs?

Last edited by username; 02-20-2009 at 11:49 AM.
username is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-2009, 08:27 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

I had 2 of the Venom 50t go up in smoke in less than 5mins each on 7.4 2s lipos, call venom and they might send you a free replacement like they did to me...
juan916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 08:46 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

My Venom motor burned up the first time I ran it. Lasted about 20 minutes.
sgil2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 05:25 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

yeah, I am lucky to live about 15minutes from venom's office, so they gave me a 50t in place. if this one smokes, ill let them replace it one more time, and i will switch. i have an integy 65t in my other rig, its just much slower for my tastes, once i get used to the wheel speed! the 50t seems like enough torque for everything so far.
Old 02-22-2009, 12:07 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Looks like you had soemthing in it? I've been running 6 different Venom motors all on 3 cell lipos... No problems at all. And I'm far from easy on them.
run2jeepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 12:35 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

I'm no motor expert, but that big black line does not look normal.
2JSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 12:48 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

From the groove I can see the arm, it looks like a washer or rock or something similar got into the motor can. It wedged itself between the arm and the magnet, and dug down creating the groove (probably a mark in the magnets too). This led to MASSIVE amp draw, which in turn overloaded the windings until you smoked and threw a wind.

You probably will need a whole new motor if the magnets got damaged in any way. One they get any damage, they become very brittle, so a bad fall can cause a chip to come loose and you will probably smoke another arm.

Later EddieO
EddieO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 02:53 PM   #8

I had a 60T that only had 2 or 3 packs through it when it smoked.
wearethebucs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 03:02 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieO View Post
From the groove I can see the arm, it looks like a washer or rock or something similar got into the motor can. It wedged itself between the arm and the magnet, and dug down creating the groove (probably a mark in the magnets too). This led to MASSIVE amp draw, which in turn overloaded the windings until you smoked and threw a wind.

You probably will need a whole new motor if the magnets got damaged in any way. One they get any damage, they become very brittle, so a bad fall can cause a chip to come loose and you will probably smoke another arm.

Later EddieO
i looked inside the can, there is a horseshoe shaped metal bar connecting the magnets, it appears it came loose and made that nice notch for me, just like you said, causeing a amp draw, which would explane the motor getting hot the few days prior.
Old 02-22-2009, 03:52 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

unfortunately, the teardowns venom uses are some of the cheapest in the biz. They are made with very cheap magnets and they use a VERY crappy glue to hold them in.....so what more than likely happened, yer motor got warm from just running it, which softened the glue......which made the magnet spacer come loose as a magnet shifted.

The cheap motors are cheap for a reason......hence why I suggest always getting a well made motor based of a good teardown.

Venom is a good company, so you should not have any issues with getting a replacement from them.

Later EddieO
EddieO is offline   Reply With Quote