Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Mamba Max, BEC, Futaba 3rd Channel...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2009, 04:22 PM   #1
WVB
Quarry Creeper

Default Mamba Max, BEC, Futaba 3rd Channel...

Ok I am using an older Futaba 3PJ PCM radio w/ a MM, BEC and trying to use the 3rd channel to no avail. The way I had it before dig was as follows:

Steering channel 1 on RX
MM channel 2 on RX
BEC on channel 3 on RX
B/C empty

When trying to get the 3rd channel to work I would imagine it as follows:

Steering channel 1 on RX
MM Channel 2 on RX
Dig channel 3 on RX
BEC on B/C

But for what ever reason I can not get anything to work with the 3rd servo plugged in..? I did try switching the BEC and 3rd Servo around to no avail either..?

I have the BEC wired as followed:

Last edited by WVB; 02-20-2009 at 04:51 PM.
WVB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-2009, 06:11 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Try getting a small Y-adapter to tie in your BEC on the Aux channel along with your dig servo. The power from the BEC will backfeed through the Y cord into the receiver to power it and the steering servo.

Your dig servo isn't an old Airtronics servo, by chance?
ErichF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 06:29 PM   #3

You need to take the signal wire (orange) out of the BEC connector. The receiver thinks that you are in DSC mode if you have all three wires connected.
whoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 06:42 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoodie View Post
You need to take the signal wire (orange) out of the BEC connector. The receiver thinks that you are in DSC mode if you have all three wires connected.
Agree...good catch!
ErichF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 07:53 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Wtf. Would this eliminate any glitching problems by removing the orange wire? After connecting the CC bec I had some glitching issues that I didn't have before.
P1choco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 08:51 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SdArcher View Post
Wtf. Would this eliminate any glitching problems by removing the orange wire? After connecting the CC bec I had some glitching issues that I didn't have before.
I had thought that problem only existed with early model BEC's and spectrum receivers, but castle had fixed the problem. Matter of fact, I haven't pulled the signal wire on any of my BEC's in a long time and have had no problems with spectrum surface and air receivers and futaba 2.4ghz surface receivers.

WVB, make sure the dig servo you're using isn't bad. I've seen bad servos do some strange things. Also, if you're using really high torque servos for both steering and dig you may be causing problems with the receiver. If that's the case, try y-harnessing power to the servos and power your receiver off the ESC's internal BEC. Lastly, make sure none of your plugs are in the reciver backwards. No, I don't think you're stupid, but I know I've missed that kind of thing before.
chrisjlittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 10:50 PM   #7
WVB
Quarry Creeper

No, its a hitec

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErichF View Post

Your dig servo isn't an old Airtronics servo, by chance?
Does this only happen when utilizing all three channels..? Never had to do this before with just the steering servo and esc plugged in...

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoodie View Post
Dig servo is good... And nothing works if the plugs are in backwards...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjlittle View Post
WVB, make sure the dig servo you're using isn't bad. I've seen bad servos do some strange things. Also, if you're using really high torque servos for both steering and dig you may be causing problems with the receiver. If that's the case, try y-harnessing power to the servos and power your receiver off the ESC's internal BEC. Lastly, make sure none of your plugs are in the reciver backwards. No, I don't think you're stupid, but I know I've missed that kind of thing before.
I will try this Y-Harness or just removing the orange wire from the BEC going to fix this issue..?

Thanks again..!
Old 02-20-2009, 10:53 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

I am running two high torque servos, both of them are good in my setup without using the CC BEC and when using a different rx. If I y harness the servos, will they still be getting full voltage through the CC BEC or will I have to program the bec to output more juice? Also, if I did that, how would my steering and dig get the proper signal? Trying to wrap my head around this. Do you happen to have a wiring diagram?
Old 02-20-2009, 11:04 PM   #9
RCC Addict

You can try removing the orange wire, but I don't think its going to do anything. If you y harness power to the servos the orange wire can't get to the receiver so it can't matter, it'll be dead open. :EDIT: I just thought that out and it's not true. So scratch that.
Don't discount the bad servo idea. I have a 5985 that causes a bad glitch on the throttle channel all the time, regardless of receiver or what channel it's plugged in to. It even does it in my revo, where the throttle is another hitec servo. I can't explain it, but the problem only ever happens with that servo plugged in. I know that's not the same issue, but I've seen bad servos do other wierd stuff too.

Last edited by chrisjlittle; 02-21-2009 at 12:03 AM.
chrisjlittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 10:04 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Sorry for the slight hijack, but I got my problems worked out. Thanks for the tips.
Old 02-28-2009, 09:35 AM   #11
WVB
Quarry Creeper

I really doubt the bad servo issue. I plugged it into other ports and it worked fine...

Castle finally called me back and recommended the y-harness. You can cut the orange wire but then you can not use it with castle software...

Thx to all who have helped me out - thats what this board is all about..!