Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Spektrum telemetry questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2009, 08:46 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Spektrum telemetry questions

So I've decided to upgrade to a Spektrum system. My initial thought was the DX3S because of the built-in telemetry. It was a no-brainer for me, except the DX3R has a 3 position 3rd channel. It's no issue for me now, but it's food for thought. I definately want telemetry, which could be accomplished by using the DX3R and adding the telemetry combo pack. So, if we put the 3rd channel capabilities aside, what are the pros and cons of both radios, in terms of adding telemetry to my collection of rigs?

In other words, if I buy the DX3S and want to add telemetry to all my rigs, what do I need ?

If I buy the DX3R and want to add telemetry to all my rigs, what do I need?

I assume that the handheld unit (for the DX3R) can be used with multiple rigs, but do I need different on board modules for all my rigs?

Are their different modules for the DX3R and the DX3S, or are they compatible? As in, can I use the hand held unit's $18 on board module for the DX3S?

Sorry for all the questions, but I just can't seem to find all the specific information on their website. I've read through all the pertinent Spektrum threads on here that I could find, but can't seem to find exactly what I'm looking for. Any info would help me greatly. Thanks RCC.
METALHEAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-2009, 12:31 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

The s has all telemetry features included but lacks the 3 pos switch. If you go with the r to use telemetry you have to get the hand held module. The hand held includes enough to get one car running telemetry. to install telemetry on other cars you would need the 3300t reciever and the nitro or electric combp package. The new 3300t reciever i think just combines the old style on board module with the spektrum reciever
shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 04:32 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

The RX with the DX3R will not work with the orig telem, but you can use the older 3000 RXs along with the R and all is well.
nomobux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 05:56 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

I got the S model after being told be the LHS guy that it had a propo 3rd channel...then later found it didn't when I began the setup. Oh well. I have the telemetry stuff on my AX10 now. I setup the Temp sensor on the ESC, and the RPM sensor on the spur gear. It's all pretty much just gee-wizz info. My ESC only gets to about 15° above ambient, and my rig goes about 6 mph at full throttle, so I know that I think a more useful telemetry option would be battery amperage, but no Spektrum units offer that measurement.

Given what I know now, I would have gone with the R model. I really want a dig unit, and two positions don't quite allow you to take full advantage of one.
ErichF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 10:39 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Default Thanks for the info guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggy View Post
The s has all telemetry features included but lacks the 3 pos switch. If you go with the r to use telemetry you have to get the hand held module. The hand held includes enough to get one car running telemetry. to install telemetry on other cars you would need the 3300t reciever and the nitro or electric combp package. The new 3300t reciever i think just combines the old style on board module with the spektrum reciever

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomobux View Post
The RX with the DX3R will not work with the orig telem, but you can use the older 3000 RXs along with the R and all is well.
So, if I picked up a DX3S, do I need the SR3300t RX for every rig? Can I use a SR3000 RX and then add the seperate on board module with both radios and have the same results?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErichF View Post
I got the S model after being told be the LHS guy that it had a propo 3rd channel...then later found it didn't when I began the setup. Oh well. I have the telemetry stuff on my AX10 now. I setup the Temp sensor on the ESC, and the RPM sensor on the spur gear. It's all pretty much just gee-wizz info. My ESC only gets to about 15° above ambient, and my rig goes about 6 mph at full throttle, so I know that I think a more useful telemetry option would be battery amperage, but no Spektrum units offer that measurement.

Given what I know now, I would have gone with the R model. I really want a dig unit, and two positions don't quite allow you to take full advantage of one.
I hear ya on the "gee wizz" factor ErichF , but the main reason I want telemetry is for my nitro rides. The idea of having on board head temps, rpm (for tuning reasons) and being able to moniter my RX pack from my radio makes me pretty happy, so that's the main reason for me. I would like to do the mod to moniter the main battery for my electrics too. So that's why I really want the telemetry.

This is the bottom line. I have 3 nitro rigs that I want telemetry on. So just to see if I get this straight, my options for being telemetry capable (excluding 3rd channel capabilities) are:

DX3S (w/ included SR3300T) + 2 more SR3300T's or 2 SR3000T's and 2 on board modules

or

DX3R + Nitro Combo Pack +3 SR3000T's + 2 on board modules

Is there another option for telemetry with either of those units, or is that the bottom line?

Thanks.
METALHEAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 11:16 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Just one more note...the DX3S model is NOT DSM2. So, aside from the SR3300T, you have to use DSM receivers like the SR300 sport, etc.

I totally agree that telemetry on a nitro is indespensable. I wish there was a better, more affordable telemetry option for Helicopters for the same reasons.
ErichF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 01:52 AM   #7

Just a quick note for you, the SR3300T's DO NOT come with any sensors, you have to buy them separately or as a kit.
When I was upgrading all my cars, i bought a DX3S which comes with 1xSR3300T with Nitro/Elec sensor combo & 1 SR300 (no tel).
I also bought 2xSR300 and 1 more SR3300T, then I found out the SR3300T doesn't come with any sensors. I ended up returning 1xSR300 and 1xSR3300T and bought another entire DX3S kit.
If you price it out, you might be paying $60-70 more but get an entire spare transmitter.
uopercival is offline   Reply With Quote