Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: hitec hs-5645mg

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2009, 10:49 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default hitec hs-5645mg

hey yall im plannin on buying a hitec hs5645mg servo to use in my top truck build. i was wondering if yall had any experience with this servo or could reccomend another servo with comparable specs. it has to be waterproof and have atleast 130oz/in of torque. thanks in adnavce
m3kan1k is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-2009, 12:04 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

I would upgrade myself to the 5645. It is MG and is digital if you have that capability. I have one on my crawler and it works great. Check it out.
CRAZYACE63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 12:48 AM   #3
RCC Addict

The 5645 isn't waterproof, just slightly water resistant. The only waterproof servo out there (least that I'm aware of) is the traxxas one out of the slashes and e-maxes.

The 5645, just like the 645 has a weak geartrain, and you will eventually strip it out. I'd advise the tower pro servos, they're stronger, cheaper and perfectly decent, especially if you're going to dunk it. Then put an o-ring under the servo horn, a little RTV around where the case splits and go have fun.
chrisjlittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 01:52 PM   #4

I like my 5645. Just ran my first comp with it and it did just fine. Seemed a little slow, but never let me down.
yjjoyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 05:41 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

the 5645 is advertised as watertight.....isnt that the same as waterproof? and about the o ring, the only difference between a waterproof traxxas servo and a regular servo is the o-ring is under the case with grease around it. i was thinkin bout jus gettin a decent servo n tryin to waterproof it like that myself
Old 03-02-2009, 06:01 PM   #6
JSN
Quarry Creeper

Water tight,water resistant... both missleading if you ask me. Fact is, out of the box the 5645 will take a splash of water at best... it only has o-ring seals around the case halfs and nothing more... thats NOT water proof. If you take the time to water proof it yourself you'll have a good "basher" water proof servo. Myself I'd spend as little as possible for a servo that will be run through water and still up to the task of turning the wheels... the towerpro, towardpro and HTX MG high tork servos come to mind for a submarine install
JSN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 06:12 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

i tried the traxxas one and stripped it out first few runs thru the snow....i called them today and they sent me out a gear set at no charge. if that servo was metal geared it would be perfect!! where can i get a tower pro servo ive never really heard of em
Old 03-02-2009, 06:18 PM   #8
JSN
Quarry Creeper

Do a search for towerpro and towardpro... I don't recall the vendors that have them in stock. hobbycity.com has them also... check the classifieds section as well.
JSN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 02:01 AM   #9
RCC Addict

I think JSN is right, I've waterproofed a couple of servos and never had a problem. The tower pro servos are great. I also think for the price Hobbico has some great servos with plenty of torque.
JRock is offline   Reply With Quote