Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: DX3R Exponential ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2009, 06:26 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default DX3R Exponential ?

What does the exponential do for the throttle? Could you give me an example of a couple settings and how they would affect the throttle? I think I know what it does. But an example would help. What I want is a little more low speed control. And I think this is what I need to adjust.
Grump is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-2009, 07:01 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

It gives you a delay when you pull the trigger, turn it all the way up an play with it then turn it down a see the diff of what happens along with try it in the middle
3speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 07:06 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grump View Post
What does the exponential do for the throttle? Could you give me an example of a couple settings and how they would affect the throttle? I think I know what it does. But an example would help. What I want is a little more low speed control. And I think this is what I need to adjust.
+ expo on the DX3r means more trigger pull equals less throttle. Forward and reverse can be set independently I think. Don't have mine in front of me right now. -expo will give more throttle with less trigger pull. The Futaba is exactly opposite. Once you set it you can go to the servo screen you will see a downward half circle for + expo and an upward half circle for -expo. Use the + expo for more low speed control.
One-eyed Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 11:04 PM   #4
Like a boss...

With no expo. your throttle is a linear line. As you squeeze the trigger it correlates to a linear amount of throttle

As you add expo...It puts your throttle on a "curve" that curve can either bow up or bow down depending on whether you add positive or negative exponential.

How this affects the radio use and "feel" is it makes either the trigger less or more responsive at different points in its range of motion.

Positive expo would make your trigger less senstive at the beginning and end of the trigger range and more sensitive in the middle.

Negative expo would do the opposite.

It's a very useful feature if your someone who wants to soften their trigger finger. If your "hammer down" kind of guy who can't seem to find the middle ground of throttle...expo can help with that. It allows you to over-react to your control movements and not have the control be as sensitive.

You have to be careful though, you never loose full range of the so if the throttle curve is very sharp it (lots of expo) it will catch up quickly in the trigger and could make things worse for you.

As 3speed mentions...I would try a little and see if it's something you can notice and like.

Last edited by mann0mann; 03-03-2009 at 11:18 PM.
mann0mann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 11:11 PM   #5
Keep it real

I'm running a Holmes 25T in my Axial, and I dialed in about 50% negative expo on my DX3R to smooth out the low speed control
Tanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 12:52 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Thanks everyone! You have been a great help.
Grump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 08:32 PM   #7
Keep it real

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanis View Post
I'm running a Holmes 25T in my Axial, and I dialed in about 50% negative expo on my DX3R to smooth out the low speed control
My mistake, it's positive expo
Tanis is offline   Reply With Quote