Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: xl5 and titan 12t 550

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2009, 09:29 PM   #1

Default xl5 and titan 12t 550

im pretty new to rc and i am looking to expand into crawling/scaling
i am most likely going to get an ax10 artr.
i have the factory ecm and motor out of my traxxas slash that i was thinking of using paired with a spektrum dx3.0 and a spektrum servo.
i know that this doesn't have a drag brake and i cant run dig(which im still learning about) with the radio that i have, but will this setup hold me for a bit.
i dont plan on doing anything serious i just want something to play with and bash around on some rocks.
ct03si is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-2009, 09:39 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

That combo will be too fast for crawling, I don't think you could gear it down enough. The XL5 is good ESC and you could get a 45T motor that would do good in the ATR, but it is a little iffy in crawlers, you'll get frustrated by the lack of low-end control. The only real problem is the double-clutch reverse, plus, like you said, no drag break.

Aside from the double-clutch reverse, that wouldn't be a bad combo at all for a Kyosho or the Losi Comp Crawler.

Last edited by Greatscott; 03-06-2009 at 03:00 PM.
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 10:57 PM   #3

I'm running that exact setup for now in my AX10 kit and it works fine, but it could have more torque. It has a lot of wheel speed though which is nice. The runtime on my 6-cell 1500mAh pack isn't that great though. I have an Axial 27t motor from the rtr on the way to try and get a little more torque and runtime out of it. I don't use my AX10 for comps or anything, just playing around and I don't like the lack of wheel speed with a 55t motor and 6 cell pack so I think this will be a good balance.
RobWilJas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 05:04 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

take the xl5 get a 55t motor and an 8 cell battery and its an awsome combo!
2500hdon37s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 07:15 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

I'm running a similar motor to the Titans (It's a Multiplex Permax 600, actually a 550-size motor but it's meant for airplanes... better be one BIG plane!) It's an 18t, I put it in my slash and it's actually faster than the Titan 12T that was in it...

I run it in my 9lb. Scaler on 7.2V Stick-packs and it's AWESOME! I'm running nearly 60:1 final gear ratio (That's what a lot of the Losi Comp Crawler and Kyosho Rock Force guys are running) and I still get enough wheel speed to fling mud!

Plus it'll pull my 45lb. daughter around in her wagon (with enough traction)
JavelinSST390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 07:03 PM   #6

I use the XL-5 with a 85t motor an a 8 cell pack too an like it. Its realy realy slow but smooth. you can reverse the motor wires then the servo\ESC feature on your radio to eliminate the double cluch reverse feature on the ESC.
Truck Driving Travis is offline   Reply With Quote