Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Hitec 5990TG Servo Trouble.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2009, 10:39 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Location: Its a language (not mine) and a utensil all rolled into one messed up city.
Question Hitec 5990TG Servo Trouble.

I finished a new 2.2 comp machine just recently and took it out for its first run yesterday I ran into trouble semi-frequently that I would not want to have happen in the comps. The Hitec 5990TG servo would just stop functioning and I'd have to un-plug the power and plug it back in to get it to reset itself. Really irritating, and I don't want that happening during the comps.

My Electronics:

5990TG
3PM FM
TP 1320 2-cell Lipo
Castle Sidewinder ESC
CC-Bec set to 6-volts.
Hitec 225MG Dig servo
Novak 55t motor w/3 caps wired correctly.

What was really interesting to me was that when it cut out the first time the two guys I was with knew exactly what servo I had and said "Get used to it" Umm no! Its going to be fixed and work trouble-free or its getting junked.

Anyway, they have the same servo and each had issues with it cutting out through the day, though mine was more frequent.

I was the only one with a CC-Bec.
Their electronics packages were:

Truck A:
5990TG
Futaba AM radio
Rooster Crawler
Novak 55

Truck B:
5990TG
Spectrum
FXR
Integy 55t

Everyone was on 2-cell li-po of various brands/sizes.

Whats interesting is that my 225mg dig servo would continue to work even when the other one stalled. The 225mg was getting warmer than the Robot steering servo, but it too was a little warm to the touch.

Thats normal for crawling operation I suspect.

My only thought is to crank up the voltage of the CC-BEC to 7.2v and try that....

Anyone else having issues with the Robot Hitec servos stalling or "cutting out"
JSSuper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-2009, 10:43 AM   #2
ghetto fabulous newbie

The 5990 has a thermal shutdown if I remember right.Mine did that alot, I sent it to hitec and exchanged it with a 5995.....try messig with your epa's.....if you do send it to hitec I would try to get a 7950 out of the exchange.

Last edited by yotachump; 03-09-2009 at 10:47 AM.
yotachump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 11:06 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

Location: Its a language (not mine) and a utensil all rolled into one messed up city.

Oh crap well thats good to know, I'll keep that in mind. I'll reduce the epa's a bit and see what happens. I normally set them a little high so yah the servo is still working hard when at full lock.
Old 03-09-2009, 11:31 AM   #4
RCC Addict

I never had that issue with my 5990 and i run my stuff pretty hard. Always check your end points, mine never went thermal but it did release the magic white smoke and melt the bottom of the case but it was still working.
Culetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 12:19 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by yotachump View Post
.if you do send it to hitec I would try to get a 7950 out of the exchange.
if you want to wait til june or so for a servo....
4ONDFLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 01:41 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

Well I've got an update for you. I just spent the last while testing out on my rock pile.

It did it again one time and it was cold, I had just connected the pack and started to crawl and got a funky glitch... then no servo.

I reset and it was fine until near the end of the pack as the power level dropped off. Thinking about that glitch and with a dying pack I lowered my radio antenna hoping for more glitches to test. I did get a glitch right away and the servo stopped again.

I'm not used to digital servos, but is that normal for them to cut out when there is a glitch?

Thanks for the help guys, I appreciate it.
Old 03-09-2009, 03:01 PM   #7
ghetto fabulous newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSSuper View Post
I'm not used to digital servos, but is that normal for them to cut out when there is a glitch?
No..I have only had problems with my 5990 thats why I had to exchange it...Never got it to work right.
yotachump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 10:52 AM   #8
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by yotachump View Post
No..I have only had problems with my 5990 thats why I had to exchange it...Never got it to work right.
I'm not liking that about the 5990 either. I normally go for Airtronics, and they just released a new 400 oz Robt servo a month after I purchased my Hitec , but I can't afford to change.

I do have an update though, I re-routed my antenna wire/tube differently under the body and went to the first comp with it, had no issues. It worked great.

So... Thankfully it seems fixed, but just to be sure I keep my fingers crossed and say a little prayer before each course...
Old 03-18-2009, 11:05 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

I hae been running these servos on my Super for almost a year.The only time mine shuts off is if I set my end points to high or leave it in a bind to long.
I also run them on 2 of my 3 2.2 rigs and have only had one cutoff and it to was due to EPA being set to high.
joesbruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 11:07 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Mine has done the same thing since I have had it. One day it was fine all through the comp. Got to the shootout, Had to reset.

I had it at 7.2 did it. Turned it down to 6.0 still does it. I run 3pm as well. I do wonder if it is the loss of signal that does it. or glitching. Mine really doesnt glitch per sey, but it could and I do not even notice it.
JamisonWorkshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 11:08 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

I turned my EPA down as well still does it. I will try some more and see what happens.
JamisonWorkshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 11:15 AM   #12
Rock Stacker

Yup, my EPA's were set right and didn't seem to have an effect on it even when I turn them up.

The glitch was very minor too, just a small studder was all that was noticeable, but the steering never returned.