Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Timing question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2009, 08:04 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Timing question

I have a Novak 55. I know you can advance and retard the timing by turning the endbell CW or CCW, respectively. My question is, since I had to reverse my motor wires when I installed my dig, does the direction change to CW for retarding the timing?
chops1sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-2009, 10:30 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Anyone? Please!
Old 03-10-2009, 11:53 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by chops1sc View Post
I have a Novak 55. I know you can advance and retard the timing by turning the endbell CW or CCW, respectively. My question is, since I had to reverse my motor wires when I installed my dig, does the direction change to CW for retarding the timing?
Yes, I believe you are right.

Or....

Another way to do this would be to reverse the rotation of the motor by spinning the end bell 180 degrees, and keep the wires the same as a normal rotation motor. By rotating the end bell 180 degrees, you change the 'phasing', for lack of a better word, of the brushes, in relationship to the comutator and the motor now runs in reverse. Then any following timing adjustments are done the same as a normal rotation motor. CCW to advance it. CW to retard it.
Espeefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 01:02 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Thanks Espeefan. Just to make sure I'm reading right. I need to change my wires back to "normal". Then turn the endbell 180 degrees. Then I can adjust the timing as usual. Does that sound right?
Old 03-10-2009, 02:02 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

timing will change direction with motor rotation.a motor spinning to the left will need timing to the right for advanced.a motor spinning to the right will need timing to the left for advance.
thatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 04:07 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguy View Post
timing will change direction with motor rotation.a motor spinning to the left will need timing to the right for advanced.a motor spinning to the right will need timing to the left for advance.
Is this while looking at the endbell or the shaft side of the motor while spinning?
Old 03-10-2009, 10:54 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Chops, after I replied, and left for work, I knew I was wrong. The timing adjustments I stated were incorrect. Thatguy is right. Since the direction of rotation is changed by rotating the end bell 180 degrees, the timing adjustments will go the opposite way that a normal rotation motor would. In other words, CW to advance, CCW to retard. Sorry for the confussion.

Normal rotation is clockwise, when you are looking at the end bell. Reverse rotation is counter clockwise.

Yes, if you solder the wires back so the positive is on the positive terminal, and the negitive on the negitive, then rotate the end bell 180 degrees, the motor direction will be reversed. Then it's CCW to retard the timing, CW to advance it.
Espeefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 06:13 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

Now I understand, lol. I didn't actually have to solder the wires backwards since I use bullet connectors, I just have to match the colors back up. I ended up changing my gearing back to stock anyway. I will play with it some once I get it back together. Thanks for all the information thatguy and Espeefan
Old 03-11-2009, 06:57 AM   #9
Rock Stacker

0 timing seems to be best for crawlers
T-Dubb is offline   Reply With Quote