Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Sidewinder issues!!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2009, 05:54 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Sidewinder issues!!!!

I just purchased a sidewinder from tcs and cannot get the drag brake to work! I programmed it on a castle link and callibrated the tx/rx and all that. I tryed reprogramming it and everything and nothing. I e-mailed casltle but still wanted to post to see if anyone has had this problem. Im running a 6-cell nimh with a losi 2.4ghz radio and a venom 55t motor. pretty standard stuff.
theslowguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-2009, 06:53 AM   #2
RCC Addict

what settings are you using on castle link? did you set it up for brushed mode? they come stock in brushless mode.
BILLYGOAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 03:33 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Yah its set for brushed mode and NOT the high power bush. Its set 100% throttle power, 100% brake power, 100%drag brake power, and 100% reverse throttle power. Didnt mess with with the punch control or any of that stuff. And I made sure to set the voltage cut off off because Im running nimh. I was thinking it might be my trans mitter but everything callibrated good. Im stumpped. :-(
Old 03-12-2009, 05:03 PM   #4
Keep it real

Quote:
Originally Posted by theslowguy View Post
Yah its set for brushed mode and NOT the high power bush. Its set 100% throttle power, 100% brake power, 100%drag brake power, and 100% reverse throttle power. Didnt mess with with the punch control or any of that stuff. And I made sure to set the voltage cut off off because Im running nimh. I was thinking it might be my trans mitter but everything callibrated good. Im stumpped. :-(
The issue is your very low quality motor
Tanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 05:10 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

I know in working on that issue, but there are other trucks with the same esc and motor combo and have no problems. I dunno In still waiting on a reply from the big guys at castle to see whats up.
Old 03-13-2009, 05:13 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Does it act the same both forward and reverse? Do you have drag with either direction?
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 06:34 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

It works perfect for forward throttle and reverse throttle its just when I let go of the trigger and it goes to the neutural position the drag brake never engages. there is none.
Old 03-13-2009, 06:38 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Yeah, I meant is there a difference in the drag brake when you are ascending or descending an obstacle? Does the drag brake work in either of those situations?
Old 03-13-2009, 08:20 AM   #9
RCC Addict

If you have more brake in one direction than the other I'd say adjust your throttle trim.
JeepinDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 08:21 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepinDoug View Post
If you have more brake in one direction than the other I'd say adjust your throttle trim.
That's exactly what I was getting at.....just not sure if this is his situation or not...
Old 03-13-2009, 08:51 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

I am running the mamba max with a integy 35 and am running into the same situation. I sent it back to castle and they replaced it and still the same situation. I then put softer brushes and stiffer springs and that helped a little. So what im trying to say is that I think Tanis is right its the motor. Lesson learned, I will be upgrading the motor to a holmes handwound will see if that helps. The only thing troubling me is that my friend runs the FXR with the same integy motor and has a awsome drag break. But Correct me if Im wrong from what I have read and searched the FXR has more of a hold brake different from the mamba or sidewinder. Either way the holmes motors are excelent from what I have seen and read so it is worth the upgrade because I do love how smooth the mamba is at low speed.
goodoldlevi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 09:06 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

Post pic of what your setting are using the new download from cc, If you changed your throttle curve and brake curve this will also affect the drag. the new download will allow you to do this so we can see what the curves are set to.
mudboger07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 10:57 AM   #13
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyH View Post
That's exactly what I was getting at.....just not sure if this is his situation or not...
I figured you had the notion.
The Castle brakes are looser then the Tekins.
Also poor or failing brushes lose drag brakes.
A timed motor will give you better drag in one direction than the other also.
Lathe motors are typically set at zero timing.
JeepinDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 11:48 AM   #14
Rock Crawler

Like everyone has stated, the sidewinders brake is dependent on the quality of the motor you have. IF you are coming from a rooster crawler with the stop brake, you are comparing 2 different animals. I personally like the drag brake on the castle stuff, when you let off the throttle, you have a gentle roll. Not a sudden stop that will flip you on a downhill. With a nice soft reverse on the controller, it will stop and hold. I have integy 45t in mine and it has a weak brake. I had Rubbaneck redo that motor, trued the com, new brushes and springs and that thing is a totally different motor. No complaints now!! I have no experience with the Tekin esc's, but I have heard their drag brake is stronger than the castle stuff.
THnCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 12:07 PM   #15
Keep it real

Quote:
Originally Posted by theslowguy View Post
I know in working on that issue, but there are other trucks with the same esc and motor combo and have no problems. I dunno In still waiting on a reply from the big guys at castle to see whats up.
If that is the case and there are others running the same thing and theirs is night and day difference to yours, it could also be your throttle trim not set at total neutral, besides the motor.
Old 03-13-2009, 12:17 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanis View Post
it could also be your throttle trim not set at total neutral
That's what I was thinking, but if that were the case, he would at least get good drag in one direction (ascending or descending)....
Old 03-13-2009, 12:23 PM   #17
Keep it real

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyH View Post
That's what I was thinking, but if that were the case, he would at least get good drag in one direction (ascending or descending)....
That is true.
Old 03-13-2009, 12:40 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanis View Post
If that is the case and there are others running the same thing and theirs is night and day difference to yours, it could also be your throttle trim not set at total neutral, besides the motor.
If it is not the throttle trim, my money is on the motor. I am not familiar with the venom motors, but I imagine he might have gotten one with bad brushes or weak springs. My integy motor is night and day after Rubba got done with rebuilding it.
THnCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 02:19 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

I checked and the throttle trim is set at 0 but I dont know the condition of the motor. I just got into this at the beginning of the year so I havent had time to pick up a comm lathe yet. Ill look at getting into a new motor. The venom motor seems to perform well for the money but Im unsure of the brush/comm condition. Does any one have experience with outrunners? I am considering picking up a 1500-1700kv outrunner. Besides having more torque I was told that brushless are stronger with a drag brake versus a brushed motor. Is that true?
Old 03-13-2009, 02:25 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

I just got a WarriorII motor because I was having the same issue with drag brake. I thought it would solve my problem since its a much better motor, but I can't see any improvement over the cheap integy 55t that I was running previously. I should mention that I'm only referring to the drag brake issue. The motor has awesome power compared to the integy.
sgil2001 is offline   Reply With Quote