Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Motor Timing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2005, 06:20 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Motor Timing

Ok, I'm curious. How does one go about setting the timing on there motor and what should it be set to?
Rooney7783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-05-2005, 06:29 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

thats a good question. what is timing anyway?
brendan h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 06:48 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

timing is the ammount of advancement on the motor... just like a car. it fires off the cylinder or in this case one electro magnet further in advanced so that it is charged in time for the main outer magnet of the can... FOR crawling you want your timing at 0* this is because it will offer you the best torque and an equal forward and reverse speed... most high preformance motors (30000 + rpms) like right around 24* of timing its sort of the magic number between battery life and torque and rpms ( or at least what i have found out). BUT keep in mind that when you up the timing you loose battery life and torque for rpms and your will probably go throught brushes faster because it acrs quite a bit at the higher degrees of timing... there is also to much timing and timing the wrong way.. but thats a different story.

Hope this helps

Oh and for the first post all you have to do is rotated the end bell of the motor... hook it up to a battery and loosen the 2 skrews that hold on the endbell just enough to where you can twist the end bell but not to far that it will mess things up... then plug the battery into the motor and mess around with moving th endbell...
nd4spdbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 07:16 PM   #4
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

The timing of a motor is describing the relationship of the brushes, comm, and armature stacks to the magnetic feild. When the brushes are in the middle of the magnets on your standard dual magnetic pole brushed motor, you have zero degrees timing (theoretically). Most of the time this is marked on the can as a line or a zero.

In practice the true zero timing of a motor is when amp draw is lowest. This is not always in the perfect center of the magnets, because of comm/ armature variations when building. Sometimes your armature has a few degrees of timing built in, so the true zero is a few degrees back in relation to the can and magnets.

keep in mind that some motors do not have adjustable timing.

edit- just read nd's post. Dont just mess around with the endbell. Thats a good way to start a nice fire or ruin your motor and battery. Find zero timing, and twist the endbell COUNTER-clockiwise (like your screwing it off). Twist less than 1/8th of a turn, as 45 degrees of timing is too much. Past 36 degrees or so just looses power anyway.

Zero degrees is best for an vehicle that needs equal forwards and backwards performance.

Last edited by JohnRobHolmes; 10-05-2005 at 07:20 PM.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 07:20 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

how do you set a 55t lath motor at 0* timing?
brendan h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 07:23 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan h
how do you set a 55t lath motor at 0* timing?
Assuming you can adjust it, the little line where the can has no sticker is supposed to be zero timing.
Old 03-07-2006, 08:52 PM   #7

so what if i want more torque?? im not worried about same speed forward or reverse... advanceing gets more rpm right?? so retarding should decrease rpm but will that increase torque or will it just decrease rpms

td

Last edited by Turbo_Diesel; 03-07-2006 at 08:54 PM.
Turbo_Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 09:59 PM   #8

i have never tried negative timing on purpose. I know runtime goes down from zero timing. I would think that your power would go up a bit since amp draw goes up. That is a big guess though. I would just run them at zero timing myself and be done.
Old 03-08-2006, 08:07 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

See the notch in the metal part of the can, and the plastic groove in the endbell when they are lined up that is set to zero degrees of timing. Right under the tab in the middle.

For more info on motor timing see my thread:
Motor Timing Tips
BrockGrimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 03:07 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Running negative, or retarded, timing is a very bad idea. motor temps go thru the roof, runtime suffers as does brush wear. Power falls off dramatically. There's nothing good about it at high or low rpm. NEVER run retarded motor timing. Zero timing is as low as you should go.

Zero timing will give you the same performance in forward and reverse, slightly advanced will give you a little more RPM when going forward.
microgoat is offline   Reply With Quote