Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: what's broken?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2009, 08:51 PM   #1

Default what's broken?

I've got an ax10 scorpion with a rooster crawler, Novak 55T, Hitec Aggressor radio and reciever, and a HS-645MG servo.
Went out crawling on sunday for an hour or so, then went to play with 1:1s. Took a break and built a little course out of shit around the shop, and we were playin on that for awhile, front wheels got wedged in between an old leaf spring and a brick, and my buddy turned 'em as hard as they go....resulting in a nifty grinding noise, which I diagnosed as stripped gears, on the grounds that when ya turn the radio control, you can hear a grinding for a few seconds, then the wheels on the truck turn.

So today after work, I went and bought a new set of gears for it. Got home, took it apart and couldn't see any broken gears, nothing stripped, or any other issues....
So I put it all back together and turned the truck on to center the servo before attaching the steering arm.
This is where it gets weird...The servo output just spins like hell when it gets power, if I turn the controller wheel right very carefully, I can bring it to a halt, then turn the other way really slowly.
Trim's are both set to neutral, I tried reprogramming the esc (a few times).
In case it was something funky in the servo itself, I plugged the servo that came with my radio into it and it did the same thing.
I'm guessin something in my radio is dinked. Am I right, and if I am, is it fixable??
I'll be takin the whole deal into the LHS tomorrow after work if I can't resolve it tonight.
Squamch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-2009, 09:25 PM   #2
RCC Addict

for the servo im guessing stripped arm for a fix got w/ an aluminum one
i would also recommend going w/ a better servo if your buget allows it
the jr 9100t and jr 8711 are amazing servos and imo worth the 100+ price tag

as for the gears, i think your problem is actually the locker/ spool
check the the locker / spool along with the axale shafts to make sure they are not rounded off

hope this helps
NeXt559 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 09:46 PM   #3

I just had a long reply typed out when I realized you are misunderstanding me...I think.
When I say the wheels "Won't turn" I mean left and right, not that they won't spin.
And I've already got an aluminum arm.
But in related news...I figured I might as well put it together for transport to the LHS. While I was reassembling, I was called out of the room my work bench/desk is in...I came back in and the cat is up on the desk, purring away and rubbing against the truck. She's been all over it since I brought it home and started putting it together, stealing parts to play with and just generally sniffing it and rubbing on it. I shooed her away and finished putting it all back together, then thought, hell, it's ready to go, why not just try it out, see if it still does it. It's all good now. I removed it from the axle, shook it about some, bumped it off the desk to see if something was loose and shifting inside...nope...it's good to go.
Dunno what the hell that was but uh....yeah, I don't need help anymore. Thanks though!
Squamch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 09:47 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

It spins a full 360*? (like a motor, not a servo)
If so I would say the servo is shot, not the gears, but the shit in the back end of the servo. I'm not that good with the names of all the parts back there, but its a pot type of thing I think that centers/stops servo movement based on signal input. That sounds like it is not doing it's job. Even if the radio had a problem the servo still should not spin 360*. Just go to it's end point.
durango#95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 09:14 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Yep, you'll notice that the case has a section (on the frant part, IIRC) that acts as a steering stop. One of the gears has a small pin protruding fro it that fits in this groove. If the pin is broken on the gear or the case is messed up, it is possible that it will just spin endlessly.

In this picture, you can see the pin that I am referring to:
http://www.mrrobot.com/images/ms455dgm.gif
(make the image full screen to read the writing)

The gear labeled "Gear No. 5" has the pin on the top.

Make sure this pin has not broken on yours.
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 10:26 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Its kind of moot, his problem fixed itself for now, but I think everyone missed an important part of his post... He tried a DIFFERENT servo that came with his radio and it did the same thing.

If it pops up again let us know.
JasonJones is offline   Reply With Quote