Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: ESC getting hot and Losing Servo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2009, 12:37 AM   #1

Default ESC getting hot and Losing Servo

So I searched around and It seems maybee my BEC is the problem but I want to chat it out because I'm still pretty new at all this. I just switch from a Rooster to a Mamba Micro Pro and I remeber hearing about needing a people needing a BEC sometimes so I mentioned it to the LHS guy and he gave me this Spektrum BEC that plugs into the Bat on the receiver. I've been running my rig on a 2S for the last coouple days and no problems but I got a plug for me 3S yesterday and ran it for five min. or so and lost my Servo. To nite I broke it again and right away I lost my servo. So when I got home I played around swaping things out and when I go back to Rooster/2S problem goes away and rooster ESC is ice cold. Go back to the Mamba/3S and servo tops until I let it chill and it comes back. The Mamba ESC is smoking hot after just 60 seconds. I put the 2S back on the Mamba and I don't lose the servo but it still gets hot(I can touch it though). So I know its the 3S and I'm just trying to find out if I need a diffarant BEC or if that is even the Fix. Motor is Novak 55T crawler if that info helps at all.

Thanks for any input.
werewolf1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-2009, 01:46 AM   #2
Who's your Daddy-0!

What do you have your setting set at on the Mamba? What voltage is your BEC set for and what servo are you using? Any picts of your setup?
TattooKenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 02:20 AM   #3

I will get some pics up wensday nite
Old 03-25-2009, 10:02 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quick question - when you installed your bec did you remove the red wire from the esc to rx. If not - this could cause prob's - try wiring your bec power out leads directly to your servo & let the esc power the rx - this method is almost bulletproof.
Yawzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 10:07 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Spektrum doesn't make or sell a BEC. They do make a power cap, but it is meant for eliminating short high demands of power in Brushless racing applications, not crawling.

What you bought is the Volatage protector: http://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/D...ProdID=SPM1600

Sounds to me like you are burning up the BEC in the ESC...mamba's don't tend to have great built in BEC's, especially the mini ones.
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 09:01 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryterror View Post
Spektrum doesn't make or sell a BEC. They do make a power cap, but it is meant for eliminating short high demands of power in Brushless racing applications, not crawling.

What you bought is the Volatage protector: http://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/D...ProdID=SPM1600

Sounds to me like you are burning up the BEC in the ESC...mamba's don't tend to have great built in BEC's, especially the mini ones.

You are correct. That is what I bought from the LHS. So I'm guessing I need to get one of the CC BEC and wire it per a diagrame I got off here. I would like to know, since I'm not having problems with the 2S is it safe to run my rig until the CC BEC comes in ? Here is a picture anyway just so you can see what I have going on.

Old 03-25-2009, 09:16 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

I wouldn't run the MM until ya get the bec hooked up. I just smoked my speed controller running a big servo (jr z9100t) without a bec. Lesson learned
oldhippie is offline   Reply With Quote