Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Traxxas Speed Control

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2009, 09:50 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Traxxas Speed Control

Has anyone tried using the Traxxas VXL-3s. On the listing it says water resistant where as their XL-5 says waterproof. I would prefer the VXL-3s because I can run a 3s lipo and Brushless if I want to. Will this thing stay dry when submarined?
69CrazyHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-27-2009, 10:13 AM   #2

I'm not sure that would be the best ESC for a crawler.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 10:42 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

esc is crap for crawling...the forward to reverse function is horrible for crawling and the esc is bulky...i would look into getting a mamba max or sidewinder and waterproof it. But if you don't want to spend the money, u can run the vxl for bashing. Not 100% sure on the waterproofing it has, so i'll stay away from that
the3kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 11:27 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by the3kid View Post
esc is crap for crawling...the forward to reverse function is horrible for crawling and the esc is bulky...i would look into getting a mamba max or sidewinder and waterproof it. But if you don't want to spend the money, u can run the vxl for bashing. Not 100% sure on the waterproofing it has, so i'll stay away from that
When you talk about waterproofing the Mamba Max or Sidewinder. Are you referring to typical waterproofing like balloons or is there a way to truly waterproof the device?
Old 03-28-2009, 09:38 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

I've asked Traxxas a couple times in the past and was told that it is not water proof or resistant, but if I want to try and it fries, they'll replace it for $45

I have seen guys use them in Slash's and snow bash with them with little problem....I'd still be careful if you want to try it.
BJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 06:20 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

BUMP I am still looking for reliable waterproof ESC's that will work well for a scale project based on an SCX-10. I want the best ESC I can buy that will not blow up if its submarined.
Old 03-30-2009, 06:26 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

I will go out on a limb and say...Yeah it's waterproof. It's fully rubber sealed even the button. I have had mine under water a few times with no problems. But like others have said they suck for a crawler ESC.
wildcardco1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 12:12 PM   #8
Jus
I wanna be Dave

In my experience it is not water friendly AT ALL. Running my Slash in the snow it has spazzed out on me if it gets any amount of water on it other than simple splash from a puddle ect.. I've had snow get on it and melt and then it froze up and the on/off button wouldn't work it had to thaw out/dry out completely then thank God it worked again.. First thing that happens when wet it'll lose reverse and then it won't work at all..
Jus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 06:58 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69CrazyHorse View Post
When you talk about waterproofing the Mamba Max or Sidewinder. Are you referring to typical waterproofing like balloons or is there a way to truly waterproof the device?
Pack the unit with die-electric grease....
ohmyCLOD! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 07:41 AM   #10
RCC Addict

The XL5 i've seen completly under water drive out and play all day Not sure about the 3 though!!
cato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 07:58 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69CrazyHorse View Post
BUMP I am still looking for reliable waterproof ESC's that will work well for a scale project based on an SCX-10. I want the best ESC I can buy that will not blow up if its submarined.
I am running a XL-5 on my SCX-10, not a good crawler esc as many have said but a great esc for bashin' & playin in snow,mud,rain etc.....

LRP has alot of waterproof ESC's: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXRXX6&P=7

not a crawler esc, but LiPo/BL capable. I thought I saw they were coming out with a crawler esc too....
R/CMaxximus5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 08:02 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

water is overrated anyways.
Mr.Slave is offline   Reply With Quote