Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: new sidewinder micro help please!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2009, 10:21 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default new sidewinder micro help please!

Just bought a sidewinder micro for my MRC. got my Deans sodered on. put my castle link cd in the computer got it installed. hooked up the usb to the servo-usb conector thingy and the program says I dont have a controller hooked up. I do it's blinking red and the castle link is blinking red and a solid green light.

I've read the manual 3 times by the way

Is there something I'm missing? ( other than knowledge )

Do I have to have a battery hooked up to the speed controller?

It says I can hurt my controller if I try to use it because it's set up for brushless, I'm running a brushed insane 370.

What do i do next?

manualy program with the motor leads disconected?

thanks for your help, I just dont want to trash this esc!
Mr. Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-2009, 10:24 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

I think you need to hook the battery up to the esc. I had to do this on mine. It should show the green square next to usb connection then when I plugged the battery into my sidewinder it showed up as device connected.

I just had a heck of a time getting my castle link installed and working. its still not working perfectly but did work on my sidewinder. Im still trying to get it connected and working on my bec
p3ripperfw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 10:27 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

I had the same problem at first. I did have to hook the battery up and then it worked. But now since I upgraded to the newest software it doesn't need it. Not sure what is going on but now I don't have to carry a battery around with my computer.
CRAZYACE63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 10:28 PM   #4
RCC Addict

the castle link program does not even recongize my usb cable and I know it works on my mp3 and camera. just got 2 red boxs showing up.
Old 04-03-2009, 10:37 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

You did turn the switch to the on position. I forgot about that and it helps. Might be something to try.
CRAZYACE63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 12:43 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ed View Post
the castle link program does not even recongize my usb cable and I know it works on my mp3 and camera. just got 2 red boxs showing up.
you need to fix the driver. go to castle creations website and under support for the castle link youll see a faq section there is an exact question matching the issue you are having. I had to have the driver fixed by windows on mine as well and it worked.
Old 04-04-2009, 05:03 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by p3ripperfw View Post
you need to fix the driver. go to castle creations website and under support for the castle link youll see a faq section there is an exact question matching the issue you are having. I had to have the driver fixed by windows on mine as well and it worked.
Thanks that worked got everything programed in now I just got to figure out why my motor is not working, got servo no problem but motor has nothing.
Old 04-04-2009, 05:53 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

there is a programming protocol you go through with the radio as well. go to the cc website again and look at the direction for the sidewinder when I hooked mine up the other day I had to hold the trigger down all the way and turn the truck on...then go through a few other steps for the end points
Old 04-04-2009, 09:23 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Well I did a little research here and the manual is wrong. For the BRUSHED motor set up you use the WHITE wire for positive not te RED!! Go figure i read the instructions and there WRONG!!! Got to soder up one more connection and should be crawlin again!

One Question though.....Now that i have the voltage cut off at 6 volts for a 2 cell lipo Can I still run a nimh or not?
Old 04-04-2009, 09:59 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

I have my motor plugged into the red and black wires...I made a bullet connector to deans adapter so I can switch polarity or put it in another car. Did you set it to brushed mode and not high output either(sorry don't remember from when I first read it)

Yeah you can still run nimh but it should still cut off at 6v, never tested it to see if it cutout also.
Failedabortion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 06:58 AM   #11
RCC Addict

I have it set to brushed reverse. the motor does nuthing with the red and black but acts normal with white and black and no red.

Throttle Curve and BRake Curves. what do these do? how should they be set for a crawler?

Last edited by Mr. Ed; 04-05-2009 at 07:04 AM.
Old 04-05-2009, 08:22 AM   #12
Pebble Pounder

the throttle and brake curves allow you to change how the throttle and brakes power is. Its basically what exponential is for the throttle and brake. you can change when the power comes on whether you want the throttle to have more power at the initial movement of the trigger or want it to have less power at the bottom and come on harder in the middle or whatever you might want. You can change the brake curve also. when you are doing the programming there are little blue question marks above each setting you can click it and it will explain what each setting will do.

hope that helps some.

thats weird about you wiring mine is a standard sidewinder running two novak 55's and im hooked up through my red and black and my white is the one left out...

oh and about how the curves should be set its really up to you how you want them to feel. I have mine left in their stock positions but am going to change them as I get more used to my new rig.

Last edited by p3ripperfw; 04-05-2009 at 08:24 AM. Reason: change
Old 04-05-2009, 03:09 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Well I'm up and running now and LOVING IT! I lost a little drag break but by applying slight trottle she holds tight!

I hooked it up to the castle link one more time and downloaded the lastest info and now the RED AND BLACK WIRES are correct just like the manual said.?????? What ever I guess

even with the computer run-a-around I'm loving this upgrade! I have a better slow crawl than the stock esc and the space save inthe chassis is priceless!

60 bucks well spent on my MRC
Old 04-05-2009, 10:43 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ed View Post
Well I'm up and running now and LOVING IT! I lost a little drag break but by applying slight trottle she holds tight!

I hooked it up to the castle link one more time and downloaded the lastest info and now the RED AND BLACK WIRES are correct just like the manual said.?????? What ever I guess

even with the computer run-a-around I'm loving this upgrade! I have a better slow crawl than the stock esc and the space save inthe chassis is priceless!

60 bucks well spent on my MRC
Im glad you got it up and running! I just started using the castle link and love adjusting the esc that way its much easier than using tones or lights