Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Couple dumb questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2009, 12:42 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Couple dumb questions

If these questions belong in the noob section, let me know and I'll post further (DUMB) questions in there.

So, I'm looking to get a 2.2 shaft rig. I'm looking perhaps to get a castle or tekin esc. I'm looking to get a cobalt 7t motor. I'm looking to get a couple lipo batteries as well.

What I'm wondering is what powers the receiver? I know the battery does, but what do you do, run another wire out of the battery?

Man I wish there was someone nearby. I would pay someone to help me with this stuff and I'm not kidding.

Thanks, Kevin
knuckleslammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-2009, 12:53 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

The receiver get's it's power through your ESC's internal BEC. Most crawlers are going to the Castle Creations BEC which is an external power source to take care of your receiver and servos. This takes some of the workload off of the ESC by putting power straight from your battery to the receiver. You simply remove the red wire from your ESC's receiver plug so that it no longer supplies the power, and plug the CCBEC into the battery port on the receiver. It's like having a receiver battery pack without having to have another battery on board.

As for someone near to you, check this section out and see if anyone's close.

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/massachusetts/
MCSCOTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 12:56 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

no there is no extra wire you just plug it in and it gives it power through the channel wire but if you wanted you could put a reciver battry on it like they do with nitros
2500hdon37s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 01:00 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCSCOTT View Post
The receiver get's it's power through your ESC's internal BEC. Most crawlers are going to the Castle Creations BEC which is an external power source to take care of your receiver and servos. This takes some of the workload off of the ESC by putting power straight from your battery to the receiver. You simply remove the red wire from your ESC's receiver plug so that it no longer supplies the power, and plug the CCBEC into the battery port on the receiver. It's like having a receiver battery pack without having to have another battery on board.

As for someone near to you, check this section out and see if anyone's close.

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=96
I thought the ESC has a slot that you plug the receiver into? Are you saying remove the red wire from the receiver plug, then plug it into the ESC? Man I'm so lost, I can't believe I use to know all this stuff but forgot everything in 5 years.
Old 04-05-2009, 01:10 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by knuckleslammer View Post
I thought the ESC has a slot that you plug the receiver into? Are you saying remove the red wire from the receiver plug, then plug it into the ESC? Man I'm so lost, I can't believe I use to know all this stuff but forgot everything in 5 years.
No, the ESC doesn't have any slots to plug anything into. It has a lead that comes off and plugs into the Throttle port on your receiver. On a normal setup that is how the receiver and servo's get power from the battery. The power comes through the ESC's internal BEC which limits it down to around 5v to keep from burning up the receiver and servos.

The other two options are having another small battery pack which plugs into the receiver to power the receiver and servos, and removing the small red wire from where the ESC plugs into the receiver.

Or getting a CCBEC, which taps into your battery leads, or rather plugs straight into the battery along with the ESC. Then you plug the BEC into the receiver, and again remove the red wire from the lead off of the ESC. This allows you to adjust the voltage going to the receiver to the 6.0v that most servos perform best at.

Check in your area, because it all sounds confusing as can be until someone can show you first hand. After that, it's simple.
Old 04-05-2009, 01:27 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

If I saw pictures of how it is setup I'd remember. From the sounds of it, it sounds like you just plug the lead coming off the ESC into the reciever. I don't want to run a 4aa batt pack like the nitro guys.

I want this thing to be neatly wired and want some sort of compact lipo to power it all. I'm one of those guys that doesn't read well but once I see it, I get it.

Thanks for the replies anyhow MC
Old 04-05-2009, 01:39 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
If I saw pictures of how it is setup I'd remember. From the sounds of it, it sounds like you just plug the lead coming off the ESC into the reciever. I don't want to run a 4aa batt pack like the nitro guys.

I want this thing to be neatly wired and want some sort of compact lipo to power it all. I'm one of those guys that doesn't read well but once I see it, I get it.

Thanks for the replies anyhow MC

Yes plug the ESC wire into the RX and then there is a battery lead coming off of the ESC that your battery plugs into. So when you flip the power switch on the ESC the whole thing powers up.
CRAZYACE63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 02:28 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Personally I wouldn't run the receiver batteries, however I do run CCBEC's on all my rigs, especially because of the higher power servos. Here's what the CCBEC is, and how it's wired.

You can get by with just pluggin the ESC into the receiver though, but if you want the best setup you'll want one of these to give everything the most power it can get.

http://www.castlecreations.com/products/cc_bec.html
Old 04-05-2009, 02:33 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Personally I wouldn't run the receiver batteries, however I do run CCBEC's on all my rigs, especially because of the higher power servos. Here's what the CCBEC is, and how it's wired.

You can get by with just pluggin the ESC into the receiver though, but if you want the best setup you'll want one of these to give everything the most power it can get.

http://www.castlecreations.com/products/cc_bec.html
Why do I need a CCBEC? Can't I just plug the esc into the receiver?

Will this setup work with 3 cell lipo?
Old 04-05-2009, 02:53 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

goin with a CCBEC bypasses the ECS when it comes to suplying power to your servo / receiver, this way all the ESC has to do is power the motor and has a much smaller work load then if it has to power every thing
ultimate_monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 03:58 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimate_monkey View Post
goin with a CCBEC bypasses the ECS when it comes to suplying power to your servo / receiver, this way all the ESC has to do is power the motor and has a much smaller work load then if it has to power every thing

Ok then what powers the other stuff ?
Old 04-05-2009, 04:03 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Ok then what powers the other stuff ?
The CCBEC powers everything except the ESC.
Old 04-05-2009, 04:10 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
The CCBEC powers everything except the ESC.
but it's not a battery. The other guy said the same thing. Looks like it takes some voltage off the battery and reduces it for the other components?
Old 04-05-2009, 04:36 PM   #14
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:
Looks like it takes some voltage off the battery and reduces it for the other components?

If your going to stay with a 2 cell lipo,the BEC in the ESC won't work all that bad. The more volts you throw at the ESC,the less your ESC's BEC will push. Since 3 and 4 cell lipos are what most run,the Castle BEC is so popular. You can program it to any voltage you want to get the most out of your steering/dig servo's
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 05:51 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptorman57 View Post

If your going to stay with a 2 cell lipo,the BEC in the ESC won't work all that bad. The more volts you throw at the ESC,the less your ESC's BEC will push. Since 3 and 4 cell lipos are what most run,the Castle BEC is so popular. You can program it to any voltage you want to get the most out of your steering/dig servo's
But nobody has answered my question. The BEC takes a certain draw off the battery for the servo and the receiver correct ? And converts it to the proper voltage depending on what your using. Say your using 2 servos for 4 way steering, which BEC would you want?
Old 04-05-2009, 06:06 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

Quote:
But nobody has answered my question. The BEC takes a certain draw off the battery for the servo and the receiver correct ? And converts it to the proper voltage depending on what your using. Say your using 2 servos for 4 way steering, which BEC would you want?
You're correct. And if you're using 2 servos I would definately look into getting the CCBEC.
Old 04-05-2009, 06:10 PM   #17
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:
The receiver requires no power,well,unless there's lights on it. Not enough to worry about....it's simply a junction box to me.

BEC stands for Battery Eliminator Circuit. Weither your using the internal BEC on the ESC or the Castle BEC,it's the same thing. Basically eliminating the need for a receiver pack. The Castle BEC just has higher ratings and is adjustable. For 99% of most rigs,it's really over rated. Thats a good thing.

The BEC in the ESC will certainly power 2 servo's,best if running a lower voltage like 7.2 volts. Both BEC's essentially do the same thing. Since the CCBEC will push higher voltage/amperage,no matter what voltage you run for the main pack. That will be your best option,hands down.

Simply pull the red wire on your ESC's receiver plug and heat shrink it back out of the way. You can just cut it off,but leaves you hanging if you ever want to use it in the future. Run the power wires for the CCBEC into the power wires on the ESC....the ones coming from the ESC that the battery plugs into. Then,plug the receiver plug from the CCBEC into the "battery" slot on the receiver. Should be good to go then.

Once you get the Castle Link you can adjust the CCBEC to whatever suits your servo's best

Last edited by Reflection; 04-05-2009 at 06:14 PM.
Old 04-05-2009, 06:20 PM   #18
Pebble Pounder

So basically if I had an MOA rig, 2 servos, I'd need to figure out the voltage of the servos and program the BEC to the total servo voltage?

Excuse my ignorance, but I see on the receiver 2 input channels? In the receivers I've used in the past I've only seen one input channel. Do they all come with 2 channels now? So the reciever has 2 input channels and 2 output for the servos?
Old 04-05-2009, 09:12 PM   #19
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:
So basically if I had an MOA rig, 2 servos, I'd need to figure out the voltage of the servos and program the BEC to the total servo voltage?

Excuse my ignorance, but I see on the receiver 2 input channels? In the receivers I've used in the past I've only seen one input channel. Do they all come with 2 channels now? So the receiver has 2 input channels and 2 output for the servos?
Well,chances are,your servos will have a max voltage input of 6v. Some on the market are rated for and will handle 7.2 volts. Some are rated 6v but guys have run them at 7 volts and they take it. Your best bet is to just set the CCBEC at 6 volts and run it. Once you learn a little more about everything and figure out what will handle what,you can tweak your set up to fit the stuff you run.

Building a Berg? Minimum you'll need is 3 channels. That picture would work if you didn't wanna steer the thing. It's correctly laid out though as far as how to wire it up,ignore the slot numbers on that receiver though. Any 3 channel receiver should actually have 4 slots.
  • Steering
  • Throttle
  • Auxiliary
  • Battery

Steering servo goes to the steering slot. The ESC plug goes to the throttle slot. Rear steer or dig servo goes to the auxiliary slot and the CCBEC goes in the battery slot.
Old 04-05-2009, 09:19 PM   #20
Pebble Pounder

Sounds good man, that's one more thing I know now

What do you think of the hustlers? I'm still toying with the idea of getting one, or an AX10.

Do you guys still sell that complete roller? I'm on the fence about a 2.2 or a super. Super looks killer. I like big, but I don't know if I want the hassle of 2 motors.

This might sound stupid but has anyone run a super with just one motor on the rear axle? and perhaps just put a cover on the front axle where the motor would go?