Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: How do I wire?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2009, 02:27 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default How do I wire?

Hi,
I am about to wire my first crawler and dont know exactly how everything goes.

I have 2 esc an 8cell battery 1 cc bec and 2 servos. Can anyone give me a wiring diagram for this setup?

Thank You for anyhelp.
lud98r is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-2009, 07:04 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

You'll need to provide a bit more information. What Rx/Tx system? How many motors? How are you wanting the servos to be controlled (seperately or combined on one channel)??? Are you trying to power both servos with that one CC BEC (not recommended)?? Wiring these setups is a mess, but is not too difficult. Here an old setup of mine that is similar to what you are wanting (the second ESC is on the opposing side of the one in the pic):
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 11:55 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

I have a spektrum ar6200 rx and 2 motors, I guess ill pickup another bec. Your setup there looks to be the same as what im going for. I have a dx6 as my transmitter clod axels, 2 motors 2 servos for front and rear steering and 2 esc only 1 cc bec but ill pick up another if its not rec. to run both servos off 1 bec.

Thanks for the help hopefully ill be running by next week.
Old 04-08-2009, 12:10 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lud98r View Post
I have a spektrum ar6200 rx and 2 motors, I guess ill pickup another bec. Your setup there looks to be the same as what im going for. I have a dx6 as my transmitter clod axels, 2 motors 2 servos for front and rear steering and 2 esc only 1 cc bec but ill pick up another if its not rec. to run both servos off 1 bec.

You only need ONE BEC. I am running a VERY similar setup...except that I have a dual dig switch in there as well. If you were to remove that part of my diagram, then the rest should match your need.
Attached Images

xirtic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 12:36 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by lud98r View Post

Ahh.....I see. I do not have 4WS on that truck above. I also run the DX6 and AR6000 Rx. The way I have mine setup is to have a front and rear ESC. For the front, I hooked up the motor leads to the leads on the ESC (as usual) and connected the plug from the ESC to the port labeled "throttle" on the Rx, then ran the steering servo to the port labeled "Rudder" on the Rx. I have this esc controlled with the Left stick.

I ran the battery lines and connected them with the battery lines from the rear ESC. Both positive and negative from the ESCs meet up and connect to one deans.

For the rear ESC, I connected the motor leads. I then plugged the rear ESC into the port labeled "Rudder" on the Rx. Here's where my setup differs....for the rear servo, you would plug it into the port labeled "Aileron" on the Rx.

You can then plug the BEC(s) into any remaining ports. I think I have mine plugged into the port labeled "Batt" on the Rx. You wire the BEC leads into the appropriate red and black wires coming from the ESC's that will eventually plug into the battery.

For mixing options, here is the Tx manual, in case you dont have a copy:
http://www.horizonhobby.com/ProdInfo...DX6_Maunal.pdf

I hope this info is not too terribly comfusing....

BTW, in case you don't know, there is a vendor in the electronics section that is selling the equipment that you need to perform the left throttle return on your DX6. I made one for mine, but he's got a nice product. That Tx is much easier to control with this mod performed.

Last edited by JeremyH; 04-08-2009 at 12:43 PM.
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 05:36 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Thanks alot guys both of your help is greatly appreciated. Do I need to get another CC BEC or can I get by with the 1 I already have?
Old 04-08-2009, 05:41 PM   #7
RCC Addict

you only need the one.
Old 04-08-2009, 05:44 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Xirtic, Thanks that diagram is exactly what im looking for.
Old 04-08-2009, 05:51 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Why do you use dig on that setup?
Old 04-08-2009, 05:57 PM   #10
RCC Addict

There are a few reasons:

1. I am using cheap Novak 55t machine wound motors....inherently these have a weak brake. Doing the switch dig does a short of the motor thus providing more of a lock. I am currently waiting on a pair of JP Customs Warrior II 45T handwound motors to get here, and I hope that they provide better braking. (I hear that they will) and this will allow me to remove the switches.

2. When mixing with the DX6 it has been documented that the rear does not like to lock without the switches...so I wanted the lock...so I have switches.

Hopefully the new motors will allow me to ditch the switches. If not, this setup does allow for a ton of options as to axle locking, and independant axle control.
Old 04-08-2009, 06:00 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Thats great info. Thanks again for all your info.