Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Venom Charger (Connection Break)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2009, 08:48 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Venom Charger (Connection Break)

So I just recieved my Lipos today and solder up the dean connections. When I go to charge the batteries I am getting a "Connection Break" I have searched around and I can't seem to find out what is causing the issue. Thanks in advance. This is my first time with Lipo.
treday619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-11-2009, 08:52 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

I had the same problem with my turnigy charger. I just set the battery on its side instead of laying flat and it worked.
JBennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 09:28 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

I got that error last night with my venom charger. I unplugged the connections including the leads coming out of the charger then plugged it all back together and it worked.
kruzr69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 09:40 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

So I verified it will charge my Nimh batteries fine. but anytime I hook up a Lipo nada. Could it possibly be 2 bad Lipos

Last edited by treday619; 04-11-2009 at 09:47 PM.
Old 04-11-2009, 09:56 PM   #5
www.team3sixrc.com

First off if you have to turn you lipo on the side to make the charge work, then you have a problem with a tab and i would run that battery.

be sure to read the dirrections. it may be a bad tab in the battery. Not sure what battery your running? But most chargers charging lipos have to be plugged in and running a certain way before it will charge. i have a hyperion and I have to have everything hooked up in a sequance in less than a minute to get a good setup. otherwise it says battery no detected. chances are and I hope it isnt a bad tab. and I hope you didnt buy some cheapo battery.
team3six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 10:08 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

It is actually the same batteries some of the guys in my group run. It looks as if the Venom Charger is not recognizing the battery so it is not connecting for safety precautions.
Old 04-11-2009, 10:57 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

So I did two things I thought possibly it could have been a bad dean plug on the charging adapter. So removed the old one and resolderd a new one still same issue. I also thought maybe it was a bad solder on the battery so I removed the existing dean and resoldered a new one issue is still there. I guess I am going to have to go back to the drawing board and see what I am doing wrong. I went through and setup everything correctly so I thought. The batteries do not even get past the initial phase of where you have to verify the battery. Starting to get frustrated.
Old 04-11-2009, 11:34 PM   #8
www.team3sixrc.com

Yeah, but what i am telling you is that there are other issues beyond what you can do. 1. is the tab between the cells, which is not visable and can be possible. sometimes there are bad soldering tabs made. And before you ask it can not be corrected. they are done with special solder irons to keep the heat impact low and allow for instant solder. Unless you are highly experianced at it like a few people i know. your dead in the water if it is because of the tab. and 2. the issue is the series of connecting the battery. Like with my charger i have to connect all the wires first, then charge plug, balance port, hit my balance button and charge. all that in less than a minute otherwise the charger resets its perameters and I have to start all over again. Its a safety override to protect the battery for cease.
Old 04-11-2009, 11:41 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by team3six View Post
Yeah, but what i am telling you is that there are other issues beyond what you can do. 1. is the tab between the cells, which is not visable and can be possible. sometimes there are bad soldering tabs made. And before you ask it can not be corrected. they are done with special solder irons to keep the heat impact low and allow for instant solder. Unless you are highly experianced at it like a few people i know. your dead in the water if it is because of the tab. and 2. the issue is the series of connecting the battery. Like with my charger i have to connect all the wires first, then charge plug, balance port, hit my balance button and charge. all that in less than a minute otherwise the charger resets its perameters and I have to start all over again. Its a safety override to protect the battery for cease.
Thanks Brother. It could possibly be a bad tab on the battery. What I am going to have to do is see if I connect it to one of my friends charger if it has the same effect. If so then there is something wrong with the batteries. It could potentially be me. I will try your way out and see if that works. Thanks for the help. I have never used Lipo ever but it seems to be the way everyone is going
Old 04-12-2009, 12:07 AM   #10
www.team3sixrc.com

Its not a problem, we are all here to help eachother. Every charger act different as well. If you ever get rid of that, check out the new Racers Edge chargers. everyone I talk to says they kick a$$. I love my hyperion, but I may get this next.
http://www.racers-edge.com/ProductDe...Code=rcesc2000
Old 04-12-2009, 07:07 AM   #11
RCC Addict

I had the same error on my Venom Pro chargers (I have 2 of them). The "suspect" battery was an eFlight unit....not a bad battery. The problem was that one of the balance wires popped off of the lipo cell tab solder point. I cut open the outer wrap of the pack, and used a HOT solder gun...pre-tinned the wire and did a QUICK solder back to the tab. I then re-wrapped the pack, and all is working fine now.
xirtic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 07:18 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

We had 3 Pro Chargers all going and 1 gets the 'connection break error' because of the charge cord where it plugs into the deans adapter.
If you twist/unplug it it works again.
irok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 08:49 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by irok View Post
We had 3 Pro Chargers all going and 1 gets the 'connection break error' because of the charge cord where it plugs into the deans adapter.
If you twist/unplug it it works again.

Thanks Irok that did the trick. This is very odd behavior I would say but I was able to charge the batteries. The batteries did not get even slightly warm. Here is another question. So now that the batteries are charged if I am planning on not using them until tomorrow do I have to discharge the batteries or are they ok. Like I said I am a newb to Lipo but want to make sure I do everything the right way
Old 04-12-2009, 09:39 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

tre, the lipos will be fine thay hardly lose any voltage unlike a nimh. you woild be good if they sat for a week
carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 10:01 AM   #15
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by carver View Post
tre, the lipos will be fine thay hardly lose any voltage unlike a nimh. you woild be good if they sat for a week

Cool Thanks Carver. So what would be the purpose of discharging the batteries unless you were storing them. Or is it good lets say if you do not run the whole pack down is then better to discharge the battery before you charge it again?
Old 04-13-2009, 10:38 AM   #16
RCC Addict

DO NOT STORE NM-HD OR LIPOS DISCHARGED.....no likey Lipo no need to dicharge before charging, absolutley no memory!! You can just charge them up for next week and they're ready to go, thats why lipo's are such a pleasure as apposed to the nmh or nicd almost no maintanence!!

Last edited by cato; 04-13-2009 at 10:41 AM.
cato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 10:44 AM   #17
www.team3sixrc.com

I post information on electronics on my website. I do this so people can have a place to look for information in one place instead of going all over the place. its just information on motors, brushless, lipo's ect. to help out any RC'er that needs to know the know. Kinda my way of giving back. if intrested please stop by and check it out any if you have any questions dont hesittate to ask as I am always here to help as well as learn. Hope this helps ya!
http://www.team3sixrc.com/rcelectronics101.htm
Note: (Moderators). I am not advertising my website, honestly if anyone feels that this in violation I have absolutly no problem with you deleting this post. Just trying to help out.

Last edited by team3six; 04-13-2009 at 10:47 AM.
Old 04-13-2009, 11:21 AM   #18
Rock Crawler

I have to say that is a very informative site. I really appreciate the information.