Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: is the traxxas xl-5 esc a good starter esc for axial kit

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2009, 01:44 PM   #1

Default is the traxxas xl-5 esc a good starter esc for axial kit

Well first off i'm new here so let me thank evryone for all help in advance. I have about 13 rc cars and after playing with the summit decided i wanted a crawler but this time i want to build my rc car. So i orderd the axial ax10 kit the bent links diff locks and the swx chassis. and with the summit disscount saved 60 bucks and no shipping. I have many extra traxas tq 2 and 3's and various other parts. I was thinking of using my xl5 esc and a leftover hitec metal geared servo. i did order a 55turn motor per axial guy at rcx. SO my main question is for a new will the xl-5 suffice?
Misfit7734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-21-2009, 01:55 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

I don't believe the XL-5 has a drag brake. Its not really intended for crawling. What a drag brake does is when you come to a stop on an incline or decline it will stop and hold the truck in place instead of rolling. It will work but it won't give you the precise control that crawling demands. Make sure you have a servo with a lot of torque. I find that even the hitec 645 and 5645's are crap even though they work and are widely used. You really need a servo with over 250oz of torque when crawling. Your TQ3 would be a great place to start for a radio though. That way when you decide you want to run a dig you have a third channel. Hope this helps a bit.

Last edited by legion1capone; 04-21-2009 at 01:58 PM.
legion1capone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 01:59 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Ive used an XL-5 and as stated other than not having a drag it worked fine.
I actually loved running mine, i have now switched to Mayhem esc's in both my trucks with dragbrakes and am planning on switching back to the xl-5s and get waterproofed ones.

Some people swear by running 80-150 dollar speed controls, for me a 45 dollar waterproof XL-5 is perfect.
ScalerLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 02:06 PM   #4
MODERATOR™

Double pump reverse sucks too.

It's okay for scalers, but it's not good for crawling.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 02:19 PM   #5

i also have a spektrum dx3s but if the tq3 is fine that will save me having to buy another reciever
Misfit7734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 03:59 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

If you have the spektrum dx3s I would buy the reciever. The TQ3 will work and give you a third channel to use, but it won't give you any of the adjustability that the dx3s has to offer. Having a programable radio is really nice. I wish I had one!
legion1capone is offline   Reply With Quote