Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: which radio for independant 4ws as well as front/rear dig

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2009, 06:41 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default which radio for independant 4ws as well as front/rear dig

as the title says..

which radio will allow independant rear steer.. as well as a left/right 4th channel to operate either micro's or "punk rc's" box for front/rear digs
landy_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-2009, 06:57 AM   #2
RCC Addict

You can definitely use a M11, it has a proportional rotating knob for the aux channel that can be used for independent steering and also program another switch for the 4th channel dig. Plus you can also mix steer with aux channel to have hassle free crab or 4ws according to the inputs of the steering wheel.
MadForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 07:08 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

You could use a DX6i also.
PEDEcrawlerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 10:00 PM   #4

I've been very pleased with the Futaba 6EX 2.4GHz system from CKRC. Even with all the metal-on-metal generated noise from my Killer Krawler, this radio system remains glitch free. I use this radio to run the Killer Krawler and Hustler without any issues...

I set up the left stick for the front throttle and steering. The right stick is used for rear throttle and steering.

Dual rate is used to disable rear steering and throttle.

Mix 1 is set up to slave rear throttle to front throttle.

Mix 2 is set up to slave rear steering to front steer.

With the above setup, either of the crawlers can be driven with just the left stick. The right stick then allows me to further adjust my control of the rear end of the crawlers. When needed, the mixed channels can be quickly disabled at the flip of a switch and all four channels then work independently of each other. I can't be happier with this setup.

EDIT...
I forgot to mention that when this transmitter is purchased from CKRC, they lockout the lateral movement of the left stick. I undid their lockout mod and added back another return spring so the left stick's full functionality is restored.

Last edited by winter; 04-27-2009 at 10:37 PM. Reason: more info
winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 03:54 AM   #5
RCC Addict

Oh, I did not take into account stick radios, I am a pistol guy, I inherently look to the sky when I hold sticks!!! Nontheless almost any air type computer radio will do the trick because there are so many programmable functions. I use an RD8000 with a blizzard to control separate motors, plow etc. Most probably it would be fine for a super as well.
MadForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 06:35 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

DX6i I prefer stick radios when steering more than one axle
rocresq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 09:08 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocresq View Post
DX6i I prefer stick radios when steering more than one axle
Is there any gizmo add on thingie that enables one to use a stick radio with an add on steering wheel?
grouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 09:32 PM   #8

nomadio react is a 4 channel pistol grip. I really like mine more then the dxr that a lot of guys have.
hotcarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 04:04 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

4PK all the way!
cherokee95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 07:15 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by landy_man View Post
as the title says..

which radio will allow independant rear steer.. as well as a left/right 4th channel to operate either micro's or "punk rc's" box for front/rear digs
I am also trying to figure out which radio should I invest in. 4channel or 4 channel. I have similar requirement as stated by you. Can we program 3pk to mix front steering with rear steering for different situations like both front and rear wheels turning in same direction, both front and rear wheels turning in opposite direction, front only and rear only? And along with this 4WS can i also program Front and rear DIG on my crawler using 3pk. thanks..
manu7781 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 02:26 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by manu7781 View Post
I am also trying to figure out which radio should I invest in. 4channel or 4 channel. I have similar requirement as stated by you. Can we program 3pk to mix front steering with rear steering for different situations like both front and rear wheels turning in same direction, both front and rear wheels turning in opposite direction, front only and rear only? And along with this 4WS can i also program Front and rear DIG on my crawler using 3pk. thanks..
I don't have the 3PK, but I don't see how what you want out of a radio system can be achieved with 3-channels.

At a minimum, you'll require a 4-channel radio to meet the specifications you listed. First, you'll need one channel to run the front steering. Then you'll need a second channel to run the throttle. Then a third channel to run the dig servo. Finally a fourth channel to control the rear steering. You will need the fourth channel to independently control the rear steering so you can then assign it as a slave servo using one of the mix functions in order to do what you want...opposition steering, crab walk, front only steering, and rear only steering. I just don't see how a 3-channel radio can be used to meet your specifications.

In my opinion, MOA crawlers do best with ESCs as opposed to using a single ESC with an electro-mechanical dig. Though the 2 ESC option is more expensive, it offers the advantage of variable throttle control of both axles. The ESC-electro-mechanical-dig setup either has the two axles' throttles tied together or one of them completely off. Hope you'll be able to find a radio system that meets your specifications and budget.
winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 04:29 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadForce View Post
You can definitely use a M11, it has a proportional rotating knob for the aux channel that can be used for independent steering and also program another switch for the 4th channel dig. Plus you can also mix steer with aux channel to have hassle free crab or 4ws according to the inputs of the steering wheel.

I have an M11 which I tried to setup for a true 4channel setup but it doesn't work quite like you'd think. The 4th channel can only be used for a brake servo for quarter scales or whatever else. The 3rd channel can be used for anything but the 4th channel is quite limited. Just my experience with M11.
Deluxe312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 08:18 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

how programmable are the 4pk and nomadio 4channels ie dig (front rear) or rear steer (independent of front not mixed)
rocresq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 07:10 PM   #14
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deluxe312 View Post
I have an M11 which I tried to setup for a true 4channel setup but it doesn't work quite like you'd think. The 4th channel can only be used for a brake servo for quarter scales or whatever else. The 3rd channel can be used for anything but the 4th channel is quite limited. Just my experience with M11.
So are you saying that you can't use a M11 for independent front and rear steer and for the micro servo and switch dig setup? I was looking at getting this radio cause I can get one for a reasonable price but at the same time need something that I can set end points on and it do all I need it to do. Is there a such radio that will fit into a fairly tight budget?

Last edited by craddock35; 05-04-2009 at 01:50 AM.
craddock35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 10:11 PM   #15
Who's your Daddy-0!

Quote:
Originally Posted by winter View Post
I don't have the 3PK, but I don't see how what you want out of a radio system can be achieved with 3-channels.
With a Punk Rc Computer
TattooKenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 11:04 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Get yourself a Futaba 4PK and never look back!!!
Jeepial is offline   Reply With Quote