Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Little Review - Asso LRP Crawler ESC with X11 17.5T Motor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2009, 05:05 AM   #1
Uli
Quarry Creeper

Default Little Review - Asso LRP Crawler ESC with X11 17.5T Motor

Since I built a new comp rig with it ( Grind the rocks ), I wanted to share my impressions on it.

ESC specs:
-does both brushed (13T) and brushless motors (7,5T)
-2s lipo or 4-6 cell nixx
-200A max. continous @ room temperatur
-5amps @ 6V
-programmable lipo cutoff
-programmable dragbrake - they call it hill brake (80% factory set)
-programmable throttle expo curve (soft expo factory set)
-programmable motor reverse
-programmable no forward/reverse delay (factory set)

Motor specs
-17.5T
-153W
-93% efficency
-2300kv (makes 16560 rpm @ 7.2V)

First impression

The ESC is small both weight and size-wise. Not even an ounce measuring about 33mm x 37mm x 15mm it is easy to put it anywhere in the rig. The installation is fairly easy. Two pushbuttons and a couple of LEDs make life easy here. The motor is standard 540 size and pretty much weight as well.

The rigs gear ratio is all axial stock. The ESCīs factory setup works good with the also available 21.5T motor. the 17.5T X11 requires the drag brake to be set at 100%. Once set at 100% it is perfect, though. Silky smooth. Iīm running 3 servos in the rig and the BEC handles it well. The throttlefeedback is very good. startup in either direction - as well as inclines and declines - is very smooth. The wheelspeed is awesome. With the stock gearing it just takes half a second to a second to long to reach full speed punching it. Might be a battery issue - i only used a 25C 2S 1400mAh. Since the motors efficency is at 93% the runtime is far beyond a comparable brushed setup. Torque is never an issue. Since there is the goat system that really performs well, I was specifically looking out for glitching or anything like that. i have to admit I was precaucious installing all the wiring though. Nothing. You donīt even notice itīs turned on unless you check for the lit up LED. So far this ESC-Motor-combo seems very promising...

Last edited by Uli; 05-22-2009 at 05:09 AM. Reason: forgot pictures ;-)
Uli is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-22-2009, 05:15 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Nice review Uli. Can you tell us the price on this combo? I have fooled around with a brushed LRP combo in a rockforce and it was nice but the voltage rating was a huge drawback with the 55t motor.
MadForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 05:23 AM   #3
Uli
Quarry Creeper

The price depends a lot on where you buy it. So I canīt really tell you. Itīs in the area of the goat system though.
Old 05-22-2009, 05:44 AM   #4
RCC Addict

https://www.ssl-stormerhobbies.com/c...ns&pn=LRP80628
EGRESSor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 06:11 AM   #5
RCC Addict

I wish it could handle 3 cell lipos.
wrightcs77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 07:16 AM   #6
Uli
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightcs77 View Post
I wish it could handle 3 cell lipos.
It doesnīt need it. If you need more wheelspeed, and itīs in the area of a 35T on 3s already, put a 13.5T Motor in it.
Old 06-16-2009, 03:20 PM   #7
RCC Addict

I was considering this set for my scale 2.2 is it water proof like the other lrp esc's? is anybody running this combo?
Mr. Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 04:02 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

I run these combos in two 1.9 scalers and I also use the esc in a 1.9 comp rig. They aren't waterproof like the ai's claimed to be. A simple balloon will take care of this problem. They are splash proof like most things, but submerging the hole rig without proper waterproofing will result in bad things. Like all electronics, water and electricity don't mix.

The bec has handled everything with flying colors and has had no hicups whatsoever. With no slipper in one of my 1.9's the tires and steering wad up, and the esc doesn't even notice. With people forgetting to unplug lipos, especially when running external becs, running your lipo to low of voltage will not be an issue. Even the external soldering board is nice if you want to change the colors of the wires, or if you have leds you can solder them right to the board.

The dragbrake is a huge plus, especially in nearly 8lb rigs. It can bring the rigs to a complete hault on the steepest of inclines, but also allow the rig to coast with the slightest throttle increase. The tires will actually slide before the dragbrake gives. In all the running of these rigs the dragbrake hasn't "given" out like I've experienced in testing other escs.

In my Montana rig(1.9), I'm running an r2 trans to rc4wd transfer case with a 14t pinion. The 21t provides pretty good wheelspeed but I could throw in the 17.5 for a little more. The 21t is cool to the touch; with over an hour of run time there is absoluetly no heat. With the r2 I can't really gear up anymore so another option would be a 17.5.

The size of the physical esc is also nice. Although it's not as small as some escs on the market, the other attributes far outweight the size. What is also nice is the cap is attached with wires allowing the physical hieght of the esc to be even smaller. Not having the cap right off the soldering board allows you to mount the cap behind, next to, or even with the esc wires; thus resulting in a smaller height.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ed View Post
I was considering this set for my scale 2.2 is it water proof like the other lrp esc's? is anybody running this combo?
PANDAbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 08:19 AM   #9
Uli
Quarry Creeper

Just a little follow up:
The factory set Throttle curve (#2) is not only expo but has a delay on the throttle-response time. To get instant throttle-response, like you have with a goat or tekin rs, you have to set the throttle curve to linear(#4). Now a desired expo has to be done with the radio, but the throttle-response is where it should be.