Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: novak 55t squeaking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2009, 06:42 PM   #1

Default novak 55t squeaking

im new to crawling and i just got my rig set up today
i have the novak rooster with the 55t combo
at low speed the motor is squeaking and i am wondering if this is something normal with a new motor

thanks
jason
jahoban is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-04-2009, 07:20 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

My esc makes sounds when crawling super slowly.
This is normal and will not go away, ever.
It has something to do with the motor's windings, can't explain it exactly.

Harry
Old Sloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 07:28 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Is the motor new??? sounds like it needs some oil in the bearings... if it s used it might need to be skimmed?
josh97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 07:33 PM   #4

its not the esc, i understand that it is going to whine
i thought it was the tranny but i took the tranny/motor assembly out and inspected each part
it is def the motor, it was squeaking when i turned it by hand
and yes the motor is brand new
the longer i ran the truck and the hotter the motor got the harder it was to turn the wheels by hand

jason
Old 06-04-2009, 07:47 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

THe motor hasnt gotten wet? But I agree... add a drop or two of oil on the bearings, give it a spin by hand, and see if that helps.
PEDEcrawlerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 07:47 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Something isnt right with the motor.. u need to take it apart or get ahold of novak... it shouldnt do that....
Old 06-04-2009, 08:04 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

you sure its not just the drive shafts?, my plastic shafts squeak alot
brokeitagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 08:34 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokeitagain View Post
you sure its not just the drive shafts?, my plastic shafts squeak alot

it is def not the drive shafts, as stated above i took the motor out of the truck and turned it by hand and it was making the noise then
ill try dropping some oil in the bearings
what should i be using as oil?

thanks all
jason
Old 06-04-2009, 08:38 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

anything light weight... u could accually use a small amount of engine oil...but i mean like a drop of it from a eye dropper on each end of the motor and then spin it by hand a few times and see what u get..
Old 06-04-2009, 09:09 PM   #10

i will be trying this first thing in the morning, and will report back then

thanks guys
jason
Old 06-05-2009, 08:28 AM   #11

I am a noob to Crawling too I picked up a Team Integy 75-T motor @ my LHS I Took out my Stock 27-T motor that was in my scorpion RTR I was wondering if this motor will be OK I have been told from my LSH the HIGHER the Turn on the motor the better. One other thing I am of putting small lead ball's used for Fishing or BB's. Into my tires for Weight & are the stock tire's glued to the bead locks. :-P
Grave95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 10:02 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grave95 View Post
I am a noob to Crawling too I picked up a Team Integy 75-T motor @ my LHS I Took out my Stock 27-T motor that was in my scorpion RTR I was wondering if this motor will be OK I have been told from my LSH the HIGHER the Turn on the motor the better. One other thing I am of putting small lead ball's used for Fishing or BB's. Into my tires for Weight & are the stock tire's glued to the bead locks. :-P

correct me if i am wrong guys
but i think the higher the turn on the motor the the more power it will have and the lower the turn the faster it will be, so you have to try and find a balance
as for adding weight to the wheels, i went to a local tire dealership and purchased some stick on wheel weights and put them on the inside of the wheel, i didnt do the bb thing cause the noise it makes is quite annoying

jason
Old 06-05-2009, 11:07 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jahoban View Post
correct me if i am wrong guys
but i think the higher the turn on the motor the the more power it will have and the lower the turn the faster it will be, so you have to try and find a balance
as for adding weight to the wheels, i went to a local tire dealership and purchased some stick on wheel weights and put them on the inside of the wheel, i didnt do the bb thing cause the noise it makes is quite annoying

jason
Yes, the higher number of turns you go, the slower the motor will be...
PEDEcrawlerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 11:19 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEDEcrawlerguy View Post
Yes, the higher number of turns you go, the slower the motor will be...
sweet this is the first time i was able to provide some useful info to another member lol

jason
Old 06-05-2009, 12:05 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

EPIC bushing oil works well. all crawler motors no matter who makes them are rewinds. and brushed motors need maintenence. definatly by some electronics cleaner to keep the commulator clean and buy the epic oil to lube. It dosen't take much to do the job. If you over oil it will allow dirt to build up in the motor meaning you will have to clean more offen
rock addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 12:07 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grave95 View Post
35t or 45t would be a better choice. You need wheel speed and that 75t its gonna provide that. Try to pass that along to a wheely king guy and get a good 35 or 45 t motor
rock addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 12:23 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock addict View Post
EPIC bushing oil works well. all crawler motors no matter who makes them are rewinds. and brushed motors need maintenence. definatly by some electronics cleaner to keep the commulator clean and buy the epic oil to lube. It dosen't take much to do the job. If you over oil it will allow dirt to build up in the motor meaning you will have to clean more offen

any way you could explain the procedure involved in the maintenance of the motor, or maybe a link to something

thanks
jason
Old 06-06-2009, 05:03 PM   #18

It might be the brushes. I caved and bought a Novak rooster setup and an extra 55T motor yesterday when I found out the FXR was on backorder with my LHS' distributor. Both motors, the one that came in the box with the ESC, AND the one that came separate make a clicking soun when turned. The brush hoods just arent a tight fit arond the brushes, and they rattle around inside the brush hood as themotor spins. Took the brushes out, no more noise. Cheap manufacturing if you ask me, but it shouldn't make any difference in the way it runs until the brushes get worn down.
FairTax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 05:16 PM   #19
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by jahoban View Post
any way you could explain the procedure involved in the maintenance of the motor, or maybe a link to something

thanks
jason

I have been running the same motor for over a month without any issues. What pinion are you running in it?
Also check and make sure no little washers or nuts got picked up by the magnets and are hung in the can...happens all the time
Dark8ngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 11:02 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark8ngel View Post
I have been running the same motor for over a month without any issues. What pinion are you running in it?
Also check and make sure no little washers or nuts got picked up by the magnets and are hung in the can...happens all the time

currently i am running a 18t losi pinion but i am thinking of putting the 14t on that came with my axial artr
could the pinion somehow be causing this?

jason