Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Need a power switch...help!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2009, 05:00 PM   #1

Default Need a power switch...help!

My ESC doesn't come with a built in 'on/off' switch. Is there any way I can wire in a small switch into the ESC wires going to the radio reciever to cut TOTAL power to the crawler? If so, which wire (red,white or black)? I hate having to take off the tuber exoskeleton and the body and then unplugging the battery! There's gotta be a way to cut total power to the model....I just don't know how. Hope it's not to wire a big ass switch into the red wire off the battery leads on the ESC.... Thanks for any help anyone can provide...
Nelstrodomous is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-2009, 06:30 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

No. The wires from the Rx to the ESC are signal to the transistors in your esc that regulates your voltage, and BEC to run the rx. If it were me in your situation, I would try moving the batt connection somewhere you can get ahold of it. I wouldn't recommend putting a switch in line with the battery. If you do , make sure it can handle the load you put through it. Just my 5g of copper plated zinc...

Last edited by ohmyCLOD!; 06-11-2009 at 06:41 PM.
ohmyCLOD! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 11:15 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

OMC is right, there is another thread with a dude asking the same question and received a similar answer.

The common mistake about RC cars is that the switch turns off the car, sure it makes it stop working, but it's essentially just putting the brains of the ESC to sleep and cutting the power to the RX. If anything goes wrong, the ESC will still get power and fry itself. I've actually seen this happen. Switch off car is on and burning......

If you run a large high power switch on your battery wires, you run the risk of frying the switch, by the time you find a switch with enough power to handle the load of the truck, it's huge and will add some resistance to the whole wiring setup. Usually they hurt performance, but in scaler maybe not.....
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote