Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Dual Cantilever Mod?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2009, 11:30 PM   #1

Default Dual Cantilever Mod?

I'm using my DX6i for my scaler. I have steering and the rear winch on the left stick, and the throttle and front winch on the right. I'm thinking about sending it for a factory Dual Cantilever Conversion, which will make the left stick self-center. That way I can have independent throttle and steering on my super axles.
Is there any reason why that would interfere with flying planes or heli's later?
dda01015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-13-2009, 01:01 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Flying a plane with a sprung throttle can be tricky. I've got a Futaba 7C (ratchet throttle) that I use for most of my planes. I've also got a couple of Kyosho Minium (AKA Parkzone) planes that come with spring throttle Txs - can be a pain, as it's difficult to keep a constant throttle setting.

I've also got a DX6i which I've converted to spring throttle for crawling.

So, the answer is, it'll still work for flying, as long as your left thumb can work the stick properly and your ESC can cope. You'll obviously only be able to use half the range of the stick (centre to up) for the throttle, which may stop some ESCs from arming. Most of my plane ESCs need to see zero throttle at switch-on, or they won't arm. Re-calibrating the ESC may fix it.

Probably best to test your plane to see if it'll arm and re-calibrate with the stick centred before you get the Tx converted.

Last edited by clockworks; 06-13-2009 at 01:08 AM.
clockworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 01:53 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

I just did the self-centering mod on my futaba 6ex. I made the lever piece myself out of aluminum. The lever and spring are super easy to install and remove, so if you ever want to fly again with a ratchet throttle, all you have to do is re-install the little ratcheting mechanism. It takes about 10 minutes lol.
Reflektr is offline   Reply With Quote