Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: BEC Wiring Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2009, 02:46 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default BEC Wiring Help

Ok here is the deal. I have a RC4WD Scale lighting system that gets power from the esc wires. Its goes between the esc signal wires and the receiver. It also goes in line with the steering servo. Im also running a dig servo and steering servo. Sidewinder ESC, and a 3 cell Lipo.

I need to hook up a bec cause it keeps loosing power.

The way I drew up a wiring diagram the servos get power from the bec and the esc powers the lights and the esc. But im now sure if everything will function like intended with the way I drew it up. Any help or another way to wires it up will be greatly appreciated.

Sorry about the crappy drawing. It has to use paint on a laptop without a mouse. lol

The other way which is the simpler way would be to jsut run the bec wires right to the receiver and then unhook the power wire coming from the esc. BUT I dont know if the lights will pull power from the receiver insted of the esc. Does anyone know.

Im porbably going to get a receiver pack and do some testing in a little while and see what does what.

I will also post this question on rc4wd's forum to see what they say.
Foxracin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-03-2009, 03:29 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Also could this just be a problem with the Sidewinder ESC? I jsut put it in the other day and it started losing power. Before I had the blue traxxas xl-5 in it and it didnt have any problem never lost power or anything. I just put the Sidewinder in to run 3 cell. Could something be wrong with the Sidewinder or is the BEC on the XL-5 just put out more power?
Old 07-03-2009, 03:44 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

The sidewinder is probably shutting down from the load. This is my guess. It needs a BEC when running a high power servo, because it can't handle the load.

I havn't used lights yet, so I am not the best to answer all of your question. Don't quite understand how the lights are wired? Or why the servo signal wire goes through the light "box". In answer to your second simpler way of wirring, the point of the BEC is to not use power from your ESC. So yes, if you plug the BEC into the receiver, then every thing you plug into the receiver will be powered through it. I hope this helps. Let us know what you go with.

Last edited by 70duncan; 07-03-2009 at 03:51 PM.
70duncan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 03:52 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

The servos are not really "high powered" there just stockers off a slash.

Here is how the lights work. Its jsut a box and it has all the light wires and it has a sevo wires the the esc plugs into and it has another that comes out that plugs into the receiver. Basicall just the light box is going inline with the esc wires. Also has the same deal for the steering servo. steering servo wires come into the box and then comes back out of the box into the receiver.

Does that make since?

Old 07-03-2009, 04:00 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Looks like there are two different sets of 3 lights, and each set of lights is using power from each plug in. So, I would just plug the BEC into the RX, and plug everything else in like normal. That should fix your shut down problem. And most inportantly, keep the wiring simple. Let me know how this works.
70duncan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 06:06 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Just came in from messing with it and I made up a receiver pack with some AA's right quick and it worked perfect. Lights worked and everything. Thanks for the help. Ill pick up a BEC tomorrow.
Old 07-03-2009, 09:01 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

What volts should I set the BEC at so I wont fry the Spektrum receiver?
Old 07-03-2009, 09:13 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxracin View Post
What volts should I set the BEC at so I wont fry the Spektrum receiver?
6 volts is the max for most servos but you can check the specs on the manufactures website. I think most recievers can handle up to 9 volts or so but you can also check that on spectrums website.

Most people run 6volts.
BigB_117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 09:17 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Oh and for your first question. Maybe You could try a y harness between the esc and rx. One end plugged into the light box with all 3 wires and one plugged into the rx with the red wire pulled out. Then plug the bec and servos into the rx like normal.
BigB_117 is offline   Reply With Quote