Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: safe lipo temperatures???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2009, 11:29 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default safe lipo temperatures???

first off, yes, i searched...

i just got done doing some test running on my new rock racer tuber. its running a Sidewinder ESC and a 27t Epic motor. after about 15min of running the ESC is sitting at 110* the motor is 120*, both of those i know are fine. but the 3s lipo is sitting at 115* and not puffed but a little softer than it is at room temperature. it runs hotter in my racer than it does in my berg. whats a safe maximum temp for lipo batteries?
dieselfuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-04-2009, 12:29 AM   #2

Thumbs up operating temps

yes the temps are fine you want the motor no hotter than 135 and make sure your speedo is not up side down either run it on its side or where the heat sink is up. if its upside down move it.and if you want to cool the motor down gear it down a tooth on the pinion.hope this helps
ROCKETRON1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 12:49 AM   #3

Its been my experinece to read the instructions that come with the product. Staying within the manufacturers recommendations ensures longevity and safe operation. Keeping you a happy camper.

Now if your are in a competition, you do what you have to do to win.
Rick Findley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 01:50 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCKETRON1969 View Post
yes the temps are fine you want the motor no hotter than 135 and make sure your speedo is not up side down either run it on its side or where the heat sink is up. if its upside down move it.and if you want to cool the motor down gear it down a tooth on the pinion.hope this helps

hmmm, the ESC is upside down but ive done that before and never had a problem.. the ESC is not what im worried about, i can throw a little fan on it if needed, but the lipos are my concern.
Old 07-04-2009, 03:36 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselfuel View Post
hmmm, the ESC is upside down but ive done that before and never had a problem.. the ESC is not what im worried about, i can throw a little fan on it if needed, but the lipos are my concern.

What brand battery?

TP's instructions......

Operating Temperature
Charge: 32 to 113 degrees F
Discharge: 32 to 140 degrees F
1) Always allow a battery to cool down to ambient temperature before re-charging.
2) During discharge and handling of batteries, do not exceed 160 degrees F.
Rockcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 03:46 AM   #6
RCC Addict

115F is close to 46C which in my book is cool for a lipo draining at 20c or 30c. I use 2200 3s on a 3D 450heli, in winter they go 40-46C (104-115F), while in summer they go 55 to 70C (131-158F) and they still hold great. My first heli lipo which is one year old, still works flawlessly no bloating or drop in power. I think, not sure though, that 75-80C is the safe limit for lipo and I read in my high school chemistry book (don't laugh) that lithium self combusts at temps over 100C. I won't put my lilly on an anvil on that one though.

***EDIT*** Ambient temps during summer range in the 37-45C here in Greece.
MadForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 03:49 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadForce View Post
I read in my high school chemistry book (don't laugh) that lithium self combusts at temps over 100C. I won't put my lilly on an anvil on that one though.

I have heard that if they get hot enough they will catch fire so that would not surprise me.
Rockcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 09:28 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

I race 1/10th electric and routinely they come off at 100-120 and thats considered fine.

My Berg pack on 3S gets to about 130, still runs great. I do let it cool after getting to that temp to recharge.
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 10:14 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

ok cool, thanks a lot guys. they're all MysteryRC lipos (see: Ebay lipos) never had any problems out of them. ive had them get much hotter in my berg when my front motor was going bad and if we're out in the summer sun running our bergs then they get pretty hot too. ive always heard all the typical safety precautions about lipos but never gotten ahold of any actual safe temperature ranges.
Old 07-04-2009, 12:49 PM   #10

also if you see the lipo pack start to swell dont use it means the pack is going bad.also on spedo even if you put a fan on it the heat is going right back into the spedo reguardless of fan or not cause its still upside down.hope this helps you a little more
ROCKETRON1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 12:54 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

My experience tells me that they will let you know when they are to hot. They have a built in smoke system that will signal you if there is a problem.
Kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 01:06 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Good gosh. How do you get lios that hot? Mine never ssem to get much above ambient.
Harvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 05:29 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Imagine the ambient is 38C under shade, then in the sun it is close to 55C. Now if a battery discharges at 1C ( no heat generated) then the least temp is the ambient ~55C
Old 07-04-2009, 05:33 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCKETRON1969 View Post
also if you see the lipo pack start to swell dont use it means the pack is going bad.also on spedo even if you put a fan on it the heat is going right back into the spedo reguardless of fan or not cause its still upside down.hope this helps you a little more
im well aware that lipos swell up and reversing the wires on the fan will fix that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamikaze View Post
My experience tells me that they will let you know when they are to hot. They have a built in smoke system that will signal you if there is a problem.
you're a jackass!
Old 07-05-2009, 11:10 AM   #15
RCC Addict

Today noon I went for a couple of batts (actually six) with trusty axial under the sun. Ambient temp was 38C in shade, 54C in the sun and the asphalt was 61C. I temped the fourth battery and it showed 154F a bit before she died. The last two I went easy on, cause the motor was starting to dislike the temps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamikaze View Post
Darn didn't know that I'll take one apart to see for my self, wait... I think I'll better put one in the back of my drifter for real kick a$$ smoke effect. Now for a way to heat it up..............
Old 07-05-2009, 04:20 PM   #16
Suck it up!

Quote:
im well aware that lipos swell up and reversing the wires on the fan will fix that...

I fail to see how rewiring the fan will keep lipo's from swelling or shrink them back to normal size...:-P
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 03:22 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post
I fail to see how rewiring the fan will keep lipo's from swelling or shrink them back to normal size...:-P

i was replying to the two points that rocketron1969 posted.
Old 07-06-2009, 03:24 PM   #18
MODERATOR™

Quote:
i was replying to the two points that rocketron1969 posted.
No shit?
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 04:26 PM   #19
RCC Addict

Diesel before you rewire the fan, check its' contruction. If the blades are symmetrical then go for it, if they are assymetrical (like curved) then don't bother at all. In the later case the airflow created by an assymetrical reversed fan is less than a soda fart.
Old 07-06-2009, 04:34 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

well it doesnt much matter now, the ESC took a shit on me after 3 packs... piece of castle shit. ill probably just replace it with an FXR.