Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Axail RTR ESC problems...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2009, 09:32 AM   #1

Default Axail RTR ESC problems...

I bought my son the Axial RTR because I thought it would keep a 6 year old happy. We had real problems with the Radio/Receiver and have since upgraded to a 2.4GHz system that solved the problem. Now I'm noticing issues that I associate to the ESC. The ESC seems to have the following functionality:

1) Reverse is a percentage of forward and not 100% - Maybe like 50 to 60%. To get Reverse to engage, you have to completely be off the trigger for a pause.

2) Reverse doesn't always work correctly when the battery starts to get low. Now this makes sense to me if #1 is true. If the battery is starting to get low and forward is now down to 40% of what it used to be, then 50% of 40% would be 20% and maybe only enough to make it do the "Jerky Dance" as my son and I call it.

Part of me thinks (based on #2) that this is the way it should behave but I wanted to ask around before I made assumptions. Has anyone experienced this before or are we actually having problems with this particular ESC?

TIA
scorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-04-2009, 09:42 AM   #2

I had the same problem and called Axial. The customer service guy admitted it was a "very basic" ESC and that the budget went into a metal steering servo. So, it's a crappy radio,ESC combo-although I think it's the radio, not the ESC
b5rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 10:22 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by b5rider View Post
I had the same problem and called Axial. The customer service guy admitted it was a "very basic" ESC and that the budget went into a metal steering servo. So, it's a crappy radio,ESC combo-although I think it's the radio, not the ESC
Thanks for the reply. Since we've replaced the radio, I'm confident our problems are with the ESC now. I'm in complete agreement with the guy you talked to at Axial but I would extend it a few notches - most of what they use is probably just good enough to appeal to the noob's like me. Too bad the Losi wasn't around then - it would have been a much better/cheaper option than this piece of cr4p.

Thanks.
scorpion is offline   Reply With Quote