Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Charging transmitter batteries (help!)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2005, 09:01 PM   #1
sim
Quarry Creeper

Default Charging transmitter batteries (help!)

I can't seem to find much info on this anywhere, so I want to ask how you guys charge and install your AA-sized transmitter packs.

What I use:
Transmitter - Airtronics MX-3
Batteries - 8 X Energizer 2500mAh Ni-MH AA sized batteries

Battery holder - the stock battery holder from the MX-3. For charging, I put the batteries in the holder and collect the charger through the flimsy blue coloured battery plug (it's really just an Airtronics servo plug with 2 wires instead of 3).

Chargers tried: Novak Millenium Pro, GMVis Commander
Power supply: 28Amps max switching power supply set at 13.8Volts

The Novak is pretty much hopeless for charging the battery... I've tried keeping in in Linear charge with the lease sensitive (20mv drop) peak detection setting and it still peaks after a couple hundred mAHs. I've read on another forum somewhere about somebody charging their transmitter packs with this charger but for me, it's just not working.

The GMVis appears to fully charge the batteries if I just use the tempcharge mode with the temperature sensor, and the reading does say about 2500mAh (a bit less but I forgot how much) and the batteries do feel warm and charged... but so far I've only used the transmitter for about a half-hour and then left it off for a couple of days and the batteries have gone dead. Is this normal? Because I've heard or people using their 1600mAh batteries which have kept their charge for over a month!

So what do you think I'm doing wrong? Is it the resistance of the battery holder and connector? Should I solder the batteries into an 8-pack? Should I downgrade to smaller capacity AAs? Is my transmitter using up the juice when it's turned off? (Anybody else have an MX-3)? Should I be using 9 cells instead of 8? It's a mystery to me.

What do you guys do for transmitter power setups? Thanks!
sim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-08-2005, 09:14 PM   #2
sim
Quarry Creeper

Oh ya, forgot... that's 20mV each cell, meaning 160mv total for the peak detection setting on the Novak.
Old 11-09-2005, 02:52 PM   #3
MODERATOR™

For the individual 2500 Energizer AAs I have, I use their 15 minute charger. It can do one cell at a time, or up to four, and crams 7.5 amps down their throats. It usually takes less than 15 minutes. They got hot, real hot. They test out at 1.45x volts right after I pull them off the charger.

For my 7 cell AA packs I use my Novak Ionic set to 1 amp. Where are you setting yours? Try 0.5 amps if 1 amp falses, I've had to. However it's the batteries' fault, not the charger's.

I'd say get the 15 minute charger if you're charging them individually.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 03:00 PM   #4
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

sounds like the harness you have them in is affecting the peak. It adds resistance, which is the indicator of a peaked pack. I would suggest soldering them into a pack if you want to continue charging as you are, or get the 15 minute charges as EeePee suggested.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 09:47 AM   #5
sim
Quarry Creeper

Hmm, okay. Thanks guys. I guess that should solve my problem
Old 11-10-2005, 08:29 PM   #6
sim
Quarry Creeper

7.5A sounds a bit crazy for AA's though.

I'm considering getting two of their 8 hour chargers and charge up all 8 cells overnight. Would that be ok too?
Old 11-10-2005, 10:55 PM   #7
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

that would work as well, its a charger right?
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 12:42 AM   #8
sim
Quarry Creeper

Haha. Okay I was being stupid. Just wanted to make sure I'm not overlooking anything.

I just ran out to have a look at the chargers during lunch. I thought I'd be able to pick up a couple of them with the change in my pocket and then I realised they're not cheap!

The nice one was a GP one that came with 4 more AA's (2500mah) that had 4 separate delta peak sensors, and 4 temperature sensors (Ultra Smart Power Bank), but it costs almost US$55 here!

I guess I'll just solder them together and keep on charging them with the GMVis Commander. Thanks for all the help, fellas.
Old 11-11-2005, 06:52 PM   #9
MODERATOR™

I have the 8 hour charger also, and I prefer the 15 minute version by far. The 15 minute charger does get the batteries toasty, and they say heat kills batteries, but so what? If they only last 450 charges, instead of the claimed 500, then oh well (or whatever they claim). The batteries are cheap enough to replace.

If something goes wrong, it's entirely Energizer's fault, as the batteries, and charger are theirs!
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote