Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: KO Propo EX-5

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2009, 07:00 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default KO Propo EX-5

I understand this radio has a 5 position switch on the 3rd channel. I also understand that there are 2 purposes for a dig, one is to lock one axle and the other is to provide free wheel. Would this radio with 5 positions allow for both of those setups?

Front lock
Front free
4WD
Rear lock
Rear free

The dig concept is kinda new to me. I'm just shopping around for my build components and looking for a radio that can do dig down the road.
mhuffman_81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-2009, 07:19 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Should work if there is a epa for each position. Now are you talking about an moa or shafty?

Looks like a very nice 3ch radio, 2.4ghz and two receivers for $185
Only downside I see to the radio is the small screen.
Failedabortion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 07:22 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Either, just depends on how much the radio i would get is. I was looking at a newage berg setup but the parts are a bit more than an axial ax10 buildup and the radio had seemed to put me over the top with the berg build.
Old 07-17-2009, 07:29 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

What is the typical dig setup, locking or freewheel. Or do you set up a combination of both on the rear axle?
Old 07-17-2009, 07:35 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

I mostly see front dig axials...Haven't seen many front & Rear dig ones but I don't go in the axial forum often. 4wd-freewheel-locked.

Bergs can be very expensive...took me about 2 months to collect all of the stuff. Check out the classifieds section at the bottom of the main forum page, think there are some used axials for sale right now

Last edited by Failedabortion; 07-17-2009 at 09:11 PM.
Failedabortion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 07:43 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Cool thanks. From what I have read that would seem to be the most functional. Lock rear for tighter turns and to help slower decents, and free wheel for steep inclines so rears don't flip it over. I don't see a reason for front lock, other than tight turns with 4ws and you can get by without front free because that would probably be used on the decent and you can just lock the rears and drive with the front only instead.
Old 07-17-2009, 08:57 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhuffman_81 View Post
I understand this radio has a 5 position switch on the 3rd channel. I also understand that there are 2 purposes for a dig, one is to lock one axle and the other is to provide free wheel. Would this radio with 5 positions allow for both of those setups?

Front lock
Front free
4WD
Rear lock
Rear free

The dig concept is kinda new to me. I'm just shopping around for my build components and looking for a radio that can do dig down the road.
In order to have rear dig (rwd/f lock) on an axial you would need two dig units (one on the front and one on the rear) like: http://www.rc4wdstore.com/2/product_...roducts_id=604
Ya may be able to rig up some rub goldstine linkage to run only one servo but ya really need two servos and two extra channels to run them. I don't know anyone running rear dig on an axial. I think the Losi has it. Go back to that berg idea of yours.
oldhippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 09:01 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

That's what I'm beginning to think. I just posted a thread in the newbie forum explaining my dilemma. Basically is comes down to the radio. I can pretty much build up either an Axial ARTR, add some upgrades to a Axial RTC, or build a berg for the same cost, minus the radio. It seems that the berg would need a better radio at least down the road with more upgrades and additions like dig or duals.

Thanks for all your help and patience.
Old 07-25-2009, 05:44 PM   #9
RCC Addict

anybody used the EX-5 yet? if so, whatcha think of it?
Manning is offline   Reply With Quote