Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: dx3r rx's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2009, 10:34 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default dx3r rx's

Are there any other rx's compatible with the dx3r than what are listed in the manual? (sr3100, sr3000, sr3001, sr3500) Thanks for the info.
Drvnbeing is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-2009, 10:46 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

The SR300 should work.
ScalerLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 10:49 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScalerLover View Post
The SR300 should work.
Yeah it does I am just looking for a "less expensive rx". I already have a 300 and 3100 but now I need a third and dont feel like spending another 70-100 bucks. Will the AR6100 work?? these 6 channels ones only seem to be around 50 bucks.
Old 07-17-2009, 10:59 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

The AR is for Air channels.... Not too sure how that would go over.

You can get an Rx out of a stock Losi MRC for around 50 bucks... im not too sure if they are 3 channel or not though havent looked into them much...

Or keep your eye on the for sale section, ive seen quite a few 3100's etc go for around 50 bucks shipped.
Old 07-17-2009, 11:00 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScalerLover View Post
The AR is for Air channels.... Not too sure how that would go over.

You can get an Rx out of a stock Losi MRC for around 50 bucks... im not too sure if they are 3 channel or not though havent looked into them much...

Or keep your eye on the for sale section, ive seen quite a few 3100's etc go for around 50 bucks shipped.
Yeah I checked the for sale sections and fleabay nothing right now. Where are you finding the MRC ones for 50???
Old 07-17-2009, 11:20 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Keep a look in the for sale section or post a wanted ad...I bought two losi spectrum receivers for $40...There was a wanted ad today and the person was offered two at $50 each.

The losi ones are three channel also
Failedabortion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 11:40 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

The losi rx's are on ebay for like 50-54 bucks shipped.
Old 07-18-2009, 02:58 AM   #8

The Losi MRC receivers and the same ones that come in the Mini LST2 used to be around $40 AUS to buy over here. Seems Horizon hobby have cracked onto the fact you can bind them together with spektrum and have jacked the price up a heap! now i cant find a receiver in Aus for under $100 for my DX3R, I dont use DSM2 so i run DSM SR300, cheaper non DSM2
guerd87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 10:47 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by guerd87 View Post
The Losi MRC receivers and the same ones that come in the Mini LST2 used to be around $40 AUS to buy over here. Seems Horizon hobby have cracked onto the fact you can bind them together with spektrum and have jacked the price up a heap! now i cant find a receiver in Aus for under $100 for my DX3R, I dont use DSM2 so i run DSM SR300, cheaper non DSM2
See I thought I was going crazy, cause i couldnt find a single one for cheaper than 70 us dollars! Though I did post in the wanted section. Thanks for all the info guys, if anyone else some input I would love to hear it.
Old 07-18-2009, 12:19 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

I've been looking into this as I was wondering why Spektrum 3ch surface Rxs were more expensive than 6ch air Rxs.
It seems that you can't mix them - the surface Rxs use a higher frame rate than the air versions. Not sure whether the overall rate is higher, or just the rate for each channel - more channels = slower rate per channel?

Not sure why that should affect the price - probably more to do with the volume of air radio kit sold. All air electronics seem to be a lot cheaper than surface stuff.
Makes me glad I built my own 6ch pistolgrip Tx, based on a DX6i.
clockworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 11:38 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by clockworks View Post
I've been looking into this as I was wondering why Spektrum 3ch surface Rxs were more expensive than 6ch air Rxs.
It seems that you can't mix them - the surface Rxs use a higher frame rate than the air versions. Not sure whether the overall rate is higher, or just the rate for each channel - more channels = slower rate per channel?

Not sure why that should affect the price - probably more to do with the volume of air radio kit sold. All air electronics seem to be a lot cheaper than surface stuff.
Makes me glad I built my own 6ch pistolgrip Tx, based on a DX6i.

That sounds pretty sweet, do you have a build thread on how you did that? Or was there a thread you went off of?
Old 07-19-2009, 12:06 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drvnbeing View Post
That sounds pretty sweet, do you have a build thread on how you did that? Or was there a thread you went off of?
I was inspired by a couple of threads here from people who were considering doing a pistol grip conversion or other mods to a DX6i - it sounded like a good idea, so I went ahead and did it. The thread for my build: Building a 6ch steering wheel Tx....

A couple of pics of the (almost) finished Tx:

It works really well, and just involves some styrene work to modify the case and a bit of soldering connecting the new controls. Although I bought more components than I eventually used (for experimentation), I reckon it could be done for the cost of a DX6i, plus the donor case and maybe $50 for the switches, wire, pots and styrene. In total, it should cost less than buying a DX3R, maybe half the cost of a Futaba 4PK.
It should be possible for any competent plastic modeller with a steady hand and a decent soldering iron to build one.

Last edited by clockworks; 07-19-2009 at 12:09 PM.
Old 07-19-2009, 08:14 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

that's pretty trick clockwork, how are you liking it? anything you would change?
Old 07-20-2009, 12:55 AM   #14
Rock Crawler

Since taking the pics, I've added coloured tips to the toggle switches to make identification easier. These rubber tips come in 4 colours with Radio Shack toggle switches.

I'd look at making the silver thumb button into a 3-way, allowing instant selection of 4ws/crab, rather than using the thumb button as an "enable" switch and a toggle to select between 4ws/crab.

I'd recess the display panel slightly - it's vulnerable to scratching when the Tx is laid on it's back.
The rear extension could be made a bit slimmer - there's plenty of room for the wiring.

I'd add a few 2- and 3-colour LEDs to show the status of the steering, diff locks and spare channel.

I'm sure that I'll think of other improvements as I learn more about crawling.
Any suggestions?