Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: I have a bunch of motors( how do i know what turns they are?? (no stickers on can)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2009, 01:35 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default I have a bunch of motors( how do i know what turns they are?? (no stickers on can)

I have a bunch of motors i got in a trade, alot dont have names of the motors, how do i figure out how many turns each motor is? can i test them some how?
Team Kamakaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-18-2009, 09:53 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

That's a tough one, with out taking them apart, and "hoping" there is something marked on the arms themselves, you're a bit up a creek as they say.

For the sake of comparisons, you might simply try connecting them to a battery and listening to them. Put them in order fast to slow so at least you have some point of reference for using them later on.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 11:04 PM   #3

Before tearing the motors apart... Stock (27T), 19T and Spec Motors have paper tags inserted between and readily visiable looking through the vents. The orginal manufactures name is molded into the endbell.

Most stock motors have bushings (brass) and laydown brushes. The armature end sticks out about 1/8 of inch beyond the end bell. And depending on the original manufacturer some shafts are tapered, squared or have a ring engraved around the end. With a notch in the can for fixed or locked timing. If the stock/spec/19T motor is an older motor, further ID'd as having two tabs, on each side of the can, crimped into the end bell. These are not easily rebuilt!

Modified motors: Most generally have stand-up brushes, but there are round ones, and octaginal ones too. Bearings (silver) on both ends, armature end is flush to or below the endbell. There is NO locking tab as the timing is adjustable. Modified motors weigh about 1 oz more than a stocker. Vents on a modified can are not as big as on a stocker.

There are some motors that don't fit the above discriptions, Checkpoints, Peak Revolutions, Orion Evolutions (vs-vis) and Epic.

Then you can spin them as a slave motor (another motor powering it) attaching a voltmeter to the pos/neg will give you an amp reading, check voltage. You'd have to find where this information is written down somewhere, but I think its top secret! You can check resistance of the armature, again, these readings are written down somewhere I have been unable to find.

This will give you an idea of the size of your motors without tearing them apart. Some you will have too, as the turns is sometimes and might be stamped (10D, 9T)/engraved (14x4) on the armature.

Please, please before you tear your motors apart, read the post about rebuilding them. I think Johnholmes wrote it.... it will help you get them back together again properly. You can PM me if you'd like.

Maybe someone here will be so kind as to educate us on brushed crawler motors identifications, maybe even provide the resistance and amperage charts for the motor windings.
Rick Findley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 11:28 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

bump-

Help-

I will love to identify a few older motors I have (what the turn count is). All I know is that they were 'modified' motors back in the day (15 - 20 years ago).
Jeep-Power is offline   Reply With Quote